PDA

View Full Version : What exactly happened at Leonard?

KTJ
10-13-2004, 10:24 AM
Two kids beat up a 19 year old and are allowed to play and suddenly the whole state is against them. What happened?

HighSchool Fan
10-13-2004, 10:56 AM
From what I heard this morning, a couple of kids were arrested friday evening. They posted bond then went to the football game and played the second half. Leonard was losing until the 2 kids got there. I'm sure if they would of lost it wouldn't have been a big deal.

handNthedirt
10-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Leonard vs. Blue Ridge game two Fridays ago, racial slurs were dropped during the game by BR players. Sometime the following week, Leonard FB players went to a BR house party and assaulted a kid or two with a piece of re-bar(barbaric at the least). Two Leonard athletes were arrested and posted bail sometime during the first half of last weeks game, made it to the stadium and the coach allowed them to play the second half. One of the troubled youths scored the winning TD, which continued their winning streak, 6-0.

coiled2strike
10-13-2004, 12:25 PM
any more info on this one...sounds like it could be pretty interesting...would like "the rest of the story" if anyone has it

KTJ
10-13-2004, 12:38 PM
coiled--

There is a good write-up in the DMN.
www.dallasnews.com/sports/highschools/

coiled2strike
10-13-2004, 12:56 PM
WOW
thanks for the info, ktj

Mustang '89
10-13-2004, 12:58 PM
Innocent until proven guilty.......

.....and coach wanted to win!!!!:D :D

Mustang '89
10-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Found this on another site:

10-12-04 - A Blue Ridge woman who witnessed a fight on October 3rd is coming to the defense of two of the teenagers involved. Cyndi Gaddy claims they were both the victims of racism, during the fight and the investigation.

Collin County deputies arrested Lionel Bayiha and Gerald James as they arrived for a football game in Anna last Friday. They bonded out of jail and returned to play in the 2nd half of the game.

Cyndi Gaddy is the mother of Bayiha’s girlfriend, and took them to the party in Blue Ridge after a football game between the two towns on October 3rd. But she says when they arrived; some teenagers used racial slurs toward the two teens. Moments later, a large fight broke out. Gaddy says Bayiha and James were just two of at least one dozen teens taking part in the fight.

The host of the party, David Garcia, was hit in the head with a steel bar by someone during the fight, and has to spend time in the hospital. He told First News he doesn't know what started the fight, or whether it was racially motivated but agrees it seems strange that only two people have been arrested so far.

Collin County deputies are planning on arresting two more people involved in the fight. They say there have been delays with the warrants.

The plot thickens....:evilgrin:

Bandera YaYa
10-13-2004, 02:17 PM
So, you can miss the first half of a game and enter it in the second half?????? Seems like there would be some kind of UIL rules about that......???

Mustang '89
10-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
So, you can miss the first half of a game and enter it in the second half?????? Seems like there would be some kind of UIL rules about that......???

A kid can sit on the bench the whole game and come in for mop up duty. What's the difference?

Don't get me wrong .. I'm not condoning what happened.

JasperDog94
10-13-2004, 02:21 PM
So, you can miss the first half of a game and enter it in the second half?????? Seems like there would be some kind of UIL rules about that......??? Yeah, but look at what a great story it makes..."The Waterboy".:D

Bandera YaYa
10-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Mustang '89
A kid can sit on the bench the whole game and come in for mop up duty. What's the difference?

Don't get me wrong .. I'm not condoning what happened. HUGE difference between being on the bench at the start of game, than not even being on the school grounds during 1st half.................that's what I mean....no UIL rules about having to at least be on the premises...???

Mustang '89
10-13-2004, 02:32 PM
HUGE difference between being on the bench at the start of game, than not even being on the school grounds during 1st half.................that's what I mean....no UIL rules about having to at least be on the premises...???

They made it to the game....the cops got them while they were getting off the bus. Convenient how they got the warrants just before the game.

Again I state I do not condone anything that happened. I'm sure the coach knew what had happened. Well before the start of the game. UIL doesn't get mixed up in legal matters before convictions. Especially off campus. Remember there has not been a trial yet.

DawgFan91
10-13-2004, 02:35 PM
Yeah, but the coach knew there were warrants out that Friday afternoon and still let them on the team bus because he said they didn't want to miss the game. No way that should happen. I understand the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing, but if it was serious enough for them to be arrested then they should have been taking care of that business and not worried about a football game.

Mustang '89
10-13-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by DawgFan91
Yeah, but the coach knew there were warrants out that Friday afternoon and still let them on the team bus because he said they didn't want to miss the game. No way that should happen. I understand the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing, but if it was serious enough for them to be arrested then they should have been taking care of that business and not worried about a football game.

Don't get me wrong. The coach in my opinion made the wrong decision. Very dumb and might cost him dearly. I'm just saying that he did not do anything legally wrong.

Morally....now that a different story.

I mean who's to say these kids didn't get jumped and grabbed the first thing available and start swinging... if a group of people jump you, I'm sure you would do whatever to defend yourself. (not that it happened that way.).....experience just tells me that there are always 2 sides to a story. You just gotta let it play out.

Mustang '89
10-13-2004, 03:01 PM
Even the guy that got hit in the head said he couldn't understand why only two people got arrested.

dogdad
10-13-2004, 05:10 PM
from what I hear, Leonard tried to get Collin County Sherriff's dept. to let the kids turn themselves in earlier in the week, but Collin County waited until game time to arrest these two? what these 2 did is not right, but appears to be more to this story than what meets the eye.

DawgFan91
10-13-2004, 05:16 PM
Mustang- I agree with you, I wasn't there. I just think the coach put the game ahead of what was best for the 2 young men involved. But then again, he knows the kids and may feel that he can do more for them in the long run by letting them play. I realize they wanted to play, but their priorities have to be right.

Dogdad- I don't believe that at all. The article I read Monday said that the coach suggested they turn themselves in (which was good) and they said they didn't want to risk missing the game.

Gobbla2001
10-13-2004, 05:30 PM
When it comes to football and sports, the UIL doesn't care if it is a game, practice or watching film... you are involved in a UIL competition...

So, gotta go to the doctor etc... and show up to practice 30 minutes late, should you not be allowed to practice?

The fact is that these kids are innocent until proven guilty...

The rest of their team was innocent, their coach was innocent, so should these innocent kids not be allowed to play (until proven guily)???

If the kids had broken out of jail, it'd be a different story, but they were just late to the game...

Sure, the coach may catch some stuff froom this, but I would have let 'em play too unless I KNEW for a FACT that they were guilty...

Did they hit the guy? Prolly so... but do we know if it was self-defense or not? Not yet... so, as of now, they are innocent, as the other plays were before the game...

HighSchool Fan
10-13-2004, 05:36 PM
This afternoon on the news, the Leonard coach was on there and he said that he did talk to the sherriff's office about the kids turning themselves in. He said that the sherriff's office told him that they weren't going to do anything until Monday and that it was okay to take the 2 kids to the game.

Ranger Mom
10-13-2004, 05:45 PM
Were these two boys from a different school invited to this party??

If so....why??

Was it a set-up maybe??

I remember a few "parties" from my past where that same thing DID happen.

Was this a pre-planned attack on two naive boys??

Gobbla2001
10-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Were these two boys from a different school invited to this party??

If so....why??

Was it a set-up maybe??

I remember a few "parties" from my past where that same thing DID happen.

Was this a pre-planned attack on two naive boys??

Kinda sounds like it...

Now, I'm not a very abusive guy, and try to avoid conflict...

But I know, if I planned on beatin' someone up with a weapon like that, there'd be a good chance that the person would have to talk to these reporters from the grave... Meaning, why didn't they jack him up worse than they did if they weren't defending themselves?

Not saying I believe either thing right now, just throwing that out for discussion...

Ranger Mom
10-13-2004, 05:53 PM
I don't know, but for some reason since I read this story, the whole thing has sounded fishy!!

There has got to be more to the story then what we are seeing posted on here.

Gobbla2001
10-13-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I don't know, but for some reason since I read this story, the whole thing has sounded fishy!!

There has got to be more to the story then what we are seeing posted on here.

Yah... it was kinda funny after reading it...

You read everyone discussing it, then you read the articles and you're like "Whoa, kinda sounds a little different here...."