PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Handle "Move-Ins"?

Bullaholic
10-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Let's say your team has a stud "move-in" come to town,(legally of course.) How do you feel about your coach playing him immediately over the local kid who has been there for years? I think at the varsity level in Texas High School football coaches really have to play the best player at a position. However, my heart would really go out to any kid and his family who has had this happen to them. Glad I will never have to make such a decision, and I really respect all coaches for the difficult no-win decisons they have to make every season.

sinton66
10-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Football is a team sport. Whatever is better for the team is what has to be done. This is assuming there is a good size margin of performance difference.

Gobbla2001
10-12-2004, 08:28 PM
It seems like a tough decision to make...

Very VERY good question...

Loyalty tends to screw up teams sometimes...

Take into consideration the 1999 Vanderbilt Industrial Cobras...

They went 12-2 in '98, I believe, their first year in 3A via 2A...

One of their losses came to Cuero, 27-11 or something like that, close game...

In '99 they looked to be a good team still, and Cuero was in no way as good as the previous year... The score was 42-0 in favor of Cuero at the half... The best players were on the bench, the seniors were out on the field that year...

Play your best is how you'll win, yet, you still wanna be loyal...

Do not discard that kid you've used, try to fit him in as much as possible and give him chances to earn his spot back, but go with your best...

Ktulu345
10-12-2004, 08:29 PM
If it were my team, I would hope my coach would play the better player, even if it was over me.

Bullaholic
10-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Sinton 66, I think most of the dads understand the "good of the team" concept......but when it comes to most wives and mamas---look out!

sinton66
10-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Yeah, but they belong in the kitchen, not on the football field.:D

Gobbla2001
10-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by sinton66

UhhhhT ohhhhhhhhhhh! :eek:

Bullaholic
10-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Oh Sinton66, I think a little prayer is in order if some of the ladies on here see your post. Can you say "Dear Lord let me be thankful for that which I am about to receive."?

sinton66
10-12-2004, 08:51 PM
They've heard it all before. TRUST me, they can handle themselves in a clinch.:D We've done several male vs. female things over the years.

Bullaholic
10-12-2004, 08:54 PM
I guess I'm still recovering from when I told my wife they ought to have a section of the stands for the women and kids, and another for the men.....I'm still buying flowers.

LH Panther Mom
10-12-2004, 08:54 PM

Dear Lord, let 66 be thankful for that which he is about to receive. Fortunately for you, if I said what I want to say, I'd also have to say Adios, so instead I'll answer the question. :p

Of course, it is ALWAYS for the good of the team. As long as the stud has proved himself, he should start.

LH Panther Mom
10-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I guess I'm still recovering from when I told my wife they ought to have a section of the stands for the women and kids, and another for the men.....I'm still buying flowers.

You probably need to add chocolate as well. :D

Bullaholic
10-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Good timing LH Panther Mom......

Gobbla2001
10-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
You probably need to add chocolate as well. :D

No, because when she realizes she has been eating a lot of chocolate, she will start to think she is fattening up, and will ask you if she looks fat, then you're screwed with a yes OR no...

jason
10-12-2004, 08:59 PM
i would comment on this, but with forneys 'move in' past..i shall plea the 5th...

Bullaholic
10-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Spoken like a true "war" veteran Gobbla......but I ain't taking any bets on your life either.

sinton66
10-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
No, because when she realizes she has been eating a lot of chocolate, she will start to think she is fattening up, and will ask you if she looks fat, then you're screwed with a yes OR no...

"Does this dress make my rear look big?" No, the dress has nothing to do with it.:D

Gobbla2001
10-12-2004, 09:02 PM
"Does this dress make my rear look big?" No, the dress has nothing to do with it.:D

You shouldn't have told me that, 66, I think my first marriage will end in divorce because I am gunna remember that one...

LH Panther Mom
10-12-2004, 09:06 PM

Why were you wearing a dress? Or do I even want to know? :p

sinton66
10-12-2004, 09:10 PM
I haven't worn a dress since One Act Play in highschool.:D

sinton66
10-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Sorry, Bullaholic, didn't mean to pirate your thread.;)

Bullaholic
10-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Well, I am appalled by such utterly tasteless and insensitive behavior in the middle of a serious thread......and I would complain even more, but I can't see to type because of the tears in my eyes.

sinton66
10-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Heh heh, report the thread to a moderator....:D
I actually had one do that one day. I had to send him an email and tell him that goes to ALL the moderators.;)

CS_WILDCATS
10-13-2004, 10:12 AM
We had a move in come to our school in the late 80's/early 90's by the name of mike ross. He was from Oklahoma and had blazing speed. The coaches started him at tailback over a guy who had played that position the previous year and had been with the program since being in jr. high. Anyway to make a long store short, that Ross kid ended up making all state in 3a one year and 4a the next. Start your best players no matter who's feelings get hurt.

LogieJoeBean001
10-13-2004, 10:51 AM

I hope you are just kidding. What a pigheaded statement that is. You better tell that to the two young ladies who were playing football for the Bay City Blue junior high team. And yes, they were actually getting playing time too! My son said he even had to block one of them. If it weren't for a woman, you wouldn't even be here to begin with!

Jody
10-13-2004, 12:12 PM
I am really liking this Sinton66. I finally found someone who can get in as much trouble as I can....VERY FUNNY!

LH Panther Mom
10-13-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by LogieJoeBean001
I hope you are just kidding. What a pigheaded statement that is. You better tell that to the two young ladies who were playing football for the Bay City Blue junior high team. And yes, they were actually getting playing time too! My son said he even had to block one of them. If it weren't for a woman, you wouldn't even be here to begin with!

Of course he's kidding! His wife/better half would knock him cross-eyed if he were serious. :)

BIGGBROTHER
10-13-2004, 12:23 PM
back to the thread doesnt a move in half to sit out a year or play jv or is it just the coaches discretion

LH Panther Mom
10-13-2004, 12:27 PM
No, that rule was changed a few years ago; I can't remember the exact time (maybe one of the coaches can fill in), but I'm fairly certain it's no longer than 6 weeks, possibly less, unless the player is a senior.

AggieJohn
10-13-2004, 01:03 PM
loyalty can be one of the best things for a team, but one of the best at the same time

Ranger Mom
10-13-2004, 01:09 PM

:hand: Hmmmm....I seem to recall the past two times I have seen you, it has been YOU that has been slaving over the "cooker"!!:D

Also, I bet when I get the T-shirt, our pic will have more women in it than men!!

So there!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/tongue.jpg

44INAROW
10-13-2004, 02:19 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek: This is too funny 66..
If you used this line on your better half, you might have first-hand knowledge on moving to the couch :D :D