PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Park or Vernon

hawkfan65
10-11-2004, 09:35 PM
So whos gonna win the game

VWG
10-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Iowa Park looks tough, but Vernon at home is hard to beat.

Macarthur
10-11-2004, 10:52 PM
Vernon's not any where the same team they were last year. IP by at least 2 TD's.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-11-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Vernon's not any where the same team they were last year. IP by at least 2 TD's.

Agreed. Iowa Park has a much better team this year than Vernon. Vernon has a good defense so IP will be in a battle like last week to score points, although they will score and may even score 21 to 28 points. I don't think Vernon's offense can keep pace with that. I'll take IP in this one as I have seen them both play this year.

Some interesting notes about Vernon. If Vernon beats IP I would not be surprised. They had last week off and they have been killed with injuries. I would assume that many of those players will be back. This is a rivalry game and everyone knows how those games go. The problem with Vernon is the O-line. I suspect that the coaches have been working fundamentals with the big boys up front the past two weeks. If their line can figure out who to block then the Lion team is dangerous as they have two backs and a QB that have all started for 3 years. All of them are very quick. But that being said, I will have to see the O-line play well before I'm a believer.

IP now has to put the rubber to the road. If they want to make a serious run at the championship they will need to beat both Vernon and Graham. This IP team may be the ones that can do just that. (I have been very impressed with IP's play this year)

I'll go out on a limb and call this closer than it probably will be. IP 27 Vernon 14.

Macarthur
10-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Z Motion, you are certainly correct in that Vernon is more than capable of winning this game. I think all three of the top teams in that district are capable of beating each other. In fact, I think Breck could be in the mix for that 3rd spot.

Vernon can be explosive. That is really the only thing that concerns me as a Hawk fan. We can grind it out, but we are not real explosive (at least we haven't been) even though IP does have some explosive players. The thing that makes IP difficult to prepare for is that they run two types of offenses equally well. They can run the spread with 4 WR's and throw the ball, or they can get in double TE's and absolutely drive it down peoples throats. IP probably has the best "group" of OL (they are good run blockers and pass blockers) and the deepest numbers of skill people they have had in many years.

Having said all that, I think it's a close game. IP 24-21.

Johnny Utah
10-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Vernon was touted as a preseason favorite to make a deep playoff run. Is their O-line that week???

VWG
10-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Vernon was touted as a preseason favorite to make a deep playoff run. Is their O-line that week???
They're not that weak, I think they have been too inconsistent.

hawkfan65
10-12-2004, 07:35 PM
okay heres my prediction, Vernon has a good team and they always have had a good team. Iowa Park has a great team and are 7-0 hoping to be distict champs. So im gonna go with IP on this one they have a great QB he can run like no other c'mon hes a state track star, and they have other great players such as Dustin Riley, Jeremy Williams, Drew Fulfer, Jacob Irvin, Tyler Duggins. Heck I could name the whole team even there kickers great the only way he misses a field goal is if someone blocks it. So Justin Swenson go out there and show them your the best QB in the state of texas

VWG
10-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by hawkfan65
okay heres my prediction, Vernon has a good team and they always have had a good team. Iowa Park has a great team and are 7-0 hoping to be distict champs. So im gonna go with IP on this one they have a great QB he can run like no other c'mon hes a state track star, and they have other great players such as Dustin Riley, Jeremy Williams, Drew Fulfer, Jacob Irvin, Tyler Duggins. Heck I could name the whole team even there kickers great the only way he misses a field goal is if someone blocks it. So Justin Swenson go out there and show them your the best QB in the state of texas

WOW! Best QB in the state?? Man, is this a homer reply or what!

The Hawks are on a roll this year... and don't get me wrong they deserve the respect. If this team beats Vernon and Graham then hats off to them, and I think the biggest accomplishment has to come from their coaching staff. To have this group playing the way they are now is awesome. But hold off on Swenson being the best QB in the state... he's not even the best QB in the Wichita County area.

hawkfan65
10-12-2004, 09:48 PM
I know but , dosent ever school think they have the best QB c'mon im allowed to think it.

VERNONLION#1
10-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by VWG
WOW! Best QB in the state?? Man, is this a homer reply or what!

The Hawks are on a roll this year... and don't get me wrong they deserve the respect. If this team beats Vernon and Graham then hats off to them, and I think the biggest accomplishment has to come from their coaching staff. To have this group playing the way they are now is awesome. But hold off on Swenson being the best QB in the state... he's not even the best QB in the Wichita County area.

VWG, I think hawkfan needs to go watch Chandler Dane of Decatur. IP has a very good team but you can't just go on a 7-0 record. Beat teams on the field on Fri. nights and if your still playing in December then I think lots of people will pay attention. My 2 cents worth.

LMWR87
10-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by VERNONLION#1
VWG, I think hawkfan needs to go watch Chandler Dane of Decatur. IP has a very good team but you can't just go on a 7-0 record. Beat teams on the field on Fri. nights and if your still playing in December then I think lots of people will pay attention. My 2 cents worth.

iowa park has seen dane play we scrimmaged them and we shut him down in the live quarter we beat them 13-7, but it was just a scrimmage. the only time they scored, ip only had 10 players on the field and they ran a sweep to that side

VERNONLION#1
10-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by LMWR87
iowa park has seen dane play we scrimmaged them and we shut him down in the live quarter we beat them 13-7, but it was just a scrimmage. the only time they scored, ip only had 10 players on the field and they ran a sweep to that side

I have seen Ip's QB play And I have seen Decatur's QB and right now I think Dane is the better of the 2. As for the scrimmage those don't mean squat. Too bad they are D1 and Ip is D2.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-13-2004, 11:50 AM
I think what makes Swenson so dangerous is that he is a true dual threat. He can throw the ball or run it just as effectively. He has great speed and when the Hawks go to the four wide and spread the defense out that is when he is most dangerous. However, Chandler Dane is a pure passer and actually passes teh ball better than Swenson. Now that is purely opinion now. But I have seen them both play. Both contribute a lot to their respective teams. I expect the Hawks to use a lot of 4 wide against Vernon on Friday since they had trouble defending it last year. Swenson probably had like 150 yards of rushing in the second half alone. Remembering that game, IP also had trouble stopping Vernon's rushing attach of Hall and Favors (both of which are back again this year). So on paper this one should be a good game to watch.

I have also noticed a lot more IP posters on the board now and I guess that is just how it goes. Win and they will come. I'm glad to have them all here as well. IP did beat Breck and really I expected them to. The real test will be Graham and Vernon. I really expect IP to beat Vernon on Friday in a good game. If they don't though all hope is not lost. With that win over Breck, IP will make the dance again this year. Graham will too. In fact, Graham looked great against Hirschi. I know, I know---Hirschi. But they did look very good. Graham will be the real test for IP, not Vernon. Having said that if Vernon can get it together and beat Breck, then they make it as the #3. It would not be surprising to see Graham, IP and Vernon in the playoffs again.

(The Big 3)

Macarthur
10-13-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
I think what makes Swenson so dangerous is that he is a true dual threat. He can throw the ball or run it just as effectively. He has great speed and when the Hawks go to the four wide and spread the defense out that is when he is most dangerous. However, Chandler Dane is a pure passer and actually passes teh ball better than Swenson. Now that is purely opinion now. But I have seen them both play. Both contribute a lot to their respective teams. I expect the Hawks to use a lot of 4 wide against Vernon on Friday since they had trouble defending it last year. Swenson probably had like 150 yards of rushing in the second half alone. Remembering that game, IP also had trouble stopping Vernon's rushing attach of Hall and Favors (both of which are back again this year). So on paper this one should be a good game to watch.

I have also noticed a lot more IP posters on the board now and I guess that is just how it goes. Win and they will come. I'm glad to have them all here as well. IP did beat Breck and really I expected them to. The real test will be Graham and Vernon. I really expect IP to beat Vernon on Friday in a good game. If they don't though all hope is not lost. With that win over Breck, IP will make the dance again this year. Graham will too. In fact, Graham looked great against Hirschi. I know, I know---Hirschi. But they did look very good. Graham will be the real test for IP, not Vernon. Having said that if Vernon can get it together and beat Breck, then they make it as the #3. It would not be surprising to see Graham, IP and Vernon in the playoffs again.

(The Big 3)

Z, your assestment of the two QB's is very accurate. Dane is definately the better passer, but Swenson is a true dual threat QB (legit 4.5 speed).

I agree that the playoffs should be IP, Graham & Vernon, again. However, I think Breck has an upset in them this year. Most likely, that would be Vernon because I'm to understand Vernon's secondary is questionable, but who knows.

IP - Vernon will be a good one. Always a close game.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-13-2004, 03:18 PM
True enough. I think IP and Graham will both beat Vernon and the winner of the Breck and Vernon game will make up that third seed. Vernon plays Breck the last game of the year and I suppose that will set the stage. That is a good thing for Vernon because two weeks ago when they played Clyde, they had both their safeties out hurt. They moved one corner to safety (Favors) and they also used their Qb (Schur) who played some safety two years ago. Hopefully by that time the starter, Weitner (who is arguably one of the best players on the team) will be healed. I hear that he fractured his leg. The trainer told me that he was not released from teh doc as of yesterday and that he had to go back today. He is #18 and is an impact player. So is the starting Middle LB who has also been out the past two games. Not sure if he will be back on Friday or not. Also, two of their DT are out. One to grades, one to injury, so I'm sure that hurt them too. I want to say that like 12 players were hurt the last game.

I also agree with you on IP's offense. Very hard to defend them. Plus, the misdirection is done very well. I think IP has a serious shot at a good run in the playoffs. Beating Vernon in Vernon will be the first step. Then I want to see how they handle Graham.

***Note****
I'm not giving up on my Lions and I hope they beat IP. I hope for a good game. I'm just a realist here and not acting like a homer. Like I said before, if Vernon's line puts it together, I can see them beating IP and most other teams for that matter. I just have to see them come togther first.

Macarthur
10-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Man, I had heard Vernon was banged up, but I didn't realize they were that bad off. Unfortunately, I will not be able to make this game Friday. I wish I could be there. If you are there, I would love to read your assestment. I hope both teams come out of the game healthy.

Macarthur
10-13-2004, 04:48 PM
BTW, does Vernon's radio station that carries the game have a website & streaming audio?

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-13-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
BTW, does Vernon's radio station that carries the game have a website & streaming audio?

Not that I'm aware of. Man we are so bad now-a-days. I was pissed last week when I couldn't get a good connection to listen to my son's team play. It kept "buffering" every 6 seconds or so. I was mad that I had to "miss the game in the first place, and then the dang radio stream was jacked up. Man are we spoiled.

VWG
10-13-2004, 05:19 PM
I wasn't aware of the kids that Vernon has lost due to injury or grades. That could be a deciding factor, as I look for Vernon to be tough at home. The Hawks are a strong team, and I will say again that all the credit should go to the coaching staff. Putting together the gameplan week after week against Wimberly, Gainesville, WF High, Breckenridge, etc... they've done all the right things so far.
I still see a close game Friday night in Vernon.
I do agree that the district is a 3 team race of the "Big 3". Vernon, Graham, and Iowa Park should all make the playoffs. I don't see Breckenridge beating Graham or Vernon.
Graham's physical play should wear down the Buckaroos and Vernon should get past them as well.

MASH4077
10-15-2004, 04:08 PM
IP beat Burk. 21-19 and Decatur beat Burk. 30-6.........................
Enough said.

Macarthur
10-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by MASH4077
IP beat Burk. 21-19 and Decatur beat Burk. 30-6.........................
Enough said.

Mash, you know it's difficult to compare common opponents. IP & Burk is a strong rivalry game each year. regardless of how good one team is, it's always a close one.