PDA

View Full Version : Dazed and Confused

44INAROW
10-11-2004, 01:04 PM
Classmates Sue Over 'Dazed and Confused'

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) - Three former high school classmates of "Dazed and Confused" director Richard Linklater have filed a lawsuit claiming they have suffered embarrassment and ridicule because of characters based on them in the movie.

The men - Bobby Wooderson, Andy Slater and Richard "Pink" Floyd - say Linklater did not get their permission before creating three characters in the 1993 cult classic sharing their surnames and likenesses. The suit was filed Thursday in Santa Fe against Universal Studios, which released the film.

The movie follows the drug- and alcohol-fueled hijinks of teenagers on the last day of school in May 1976. The men said the negative characterizations in the film have made their lives miserable and caused their neighbors to think poorly of them.

"We had fun in high school, but there is nothing true about that movie. Yet, I am having to deal with it all the time," said Floyd, who works at a car dealership in Huntsville, Texas, where the men went to high school.

Ernest Freeman, one of the plaintiffs' attorneys, said Slater has also had problems because people make assumptions that he takes illegal drugs.

Slater runs a construction and remodeling company and Wooderson works in the technology sector. Both men also still live in Huntsville.

Linklater's agent did not immediately return a message Saturday seeking comment.

The suit was filed in New Mexico because it has a longer statute of limitations than other states for claims of defamation and false light, attorneys said.

2004-10-10 00:51:20 GMT

LH Panther Mom
10-11-2004, 01:12 PM
Oh, good grief. This is ridiculous. It took these guys 11 years to figure this out? Give me a break.

mustang04
10-11-2004, 01:30 PM
i know...i loved the movie

Ranger Mom
10-11-2004, 01:32 PM
I guess I should rent it....until this post, I had never even HEARD of it before!!:D

44INAROW
10-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I guess I should rent it....until this post, I had never even HEARD of it before!!:D

oh you gotta see it.. Guess I related to is since I was the class of 76. It was filmed around Austin. My son sent this article to me and my reply to him was that those guys probably got "more action" due to their names being used and should be thanking Linklater :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

mustang04
10-11-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

OH MAN...it is a classic, me and my friends always quote the movie and act like the guys on the movie...its awesome

big daddy russ
10-11-2004, 01:47 PM
That's what I like about high school girls...

jason
10-11-2004, 02:05 PM
isnt 'dazed and confused' a zepplin song?

44INAROW
10-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by jason
isnt 'dazed and confused' a zepplin song?

You Betcha.................

Ranger Mom
10-11-2004, 02:36 PM
LOL!! They even have their OWN message board.

dazed-and confused.net (http://www.jmbzine.com/d-c/)

pirate4state
10-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Ranger Mom - you gotta rent this movie! It ROCKS!! This movie I think really captures high school, especially for that time.

"Hey, man are you cool?" "Like how?" :D :D :D:smoker:

44INAROW
10-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Ranger Mom - you gotta rent this movie! It ROCKS!! This movie I think really captures high school, especially for that time.

"Hey, man are you cool?" "Like how?" :D :D :D:smoker:

I love the part when the keg for the big "school's out party" is delivered while the guys parents are still at home lol lol.. Then the dad says to the mom "unpack momma, we're not going ANYWHERE" lol lol Oh does that bring back memories........:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

pirate4state
10-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I love the part when the keg for the big "school's out party" is delivered while the guys parents are still at home lol lol.. Then the dad says to the mom "unpack momma, we're not going ANYWHERE" lol lol Oh does that bring back memories........:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: I can talk about this movie all day long!! My favorite scene is w/ the girls in the truck asking the "floater" friend what the other girls say about them!! :D :D Classic!!

"She called me a b****, what a s***, I'm gonna kick her a$$!" "I thought you said you weren't gonna get mad?" "I'm not mad"!! lol

mustang04
10-11-2004, 05:05 PM
a)i was gettin it on w/ this perfect female body...but...

b)ok ur gettin it on w/ this perfect female body but what, you cant just build up like that and not..DELIVER

a)well, the head of it was Abraham lincoln

b)hmmm

a)well...best not fret over it too much

b)im sry man

JHS_c/o_06'
10-11-2004, 05:19 PM
yeah.....ummm...ive been dazed and confused...for so long its not true

the movie and and song are awesome....i wish i would have been born about 25 years earlier....i would have killed to see Zeppelin

wildstangs
10-11-2004, 09:44 PM
I like when the freshman kids dump paint on that one guy.

44INAROW
10-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
I like when the freshman kids dump paint on that one guy.

You know who the actor is playing that guy, don't you?

wildstangs
10-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
You know who the actor is playing that guy, don't you?

Ben Affleck. I think that was the last GOOD movie he was in.

Old Tiger
10-11-2004, 10:18 PM
The movie is the shiznit...lol

slpybear the bullfan
10-11-2004, 10:20 PM
"yeah man, I was thinking about going back to college... but I got this gig for the city now and I need my change for the ladies..."

Sweet.

Old Tiger
10-11-2004, 10:21 PM
I can't say the funny part I want because it has to do with narcotics.

pirate4state
10-11-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
I can't say the funny part I want because it has to do with narcotics. LOL - the whole movie is about narcotics!! :D :( :cool:

Black & Gold
10-12-2004, 05:16 PM
The stoner telling the freshman about the other guy falling down the light tower and hitting his head on every rung is pretty funny too.

mustang04
10-12-2004, 05:43 PM
"Say man u gotta J on ya?"

Nah, not on me man"

"it'd be a WHOOOLE lot cooler if you did..hehe"