PDA

View Full Version : Players Who Deserved Scholarships

Papa Smurf 05
03-06-2004, 03:05 PM
I'm sure EVERY player in Texas believes they should have received a scholarship to play in college (LOL), but what about the players who really did but weren't that lucky. I don't know about other schools, but in Kennedale, Rex Harper definitely should have received one. I have NEVER known a single person work as hard, and play with as much passion as he does. I'm sure he can probably walk on somewhere, but it hurts me to see such a strong player get left behind. Anyone else know someone who had a similar situation??? frown

jason
03-06-2004, 03:14 PM
did he try to do his own recruting of schools? or did he just wait for schools to come to him??

Papa Smurf 05
03-06-2004, 04:48 PM
To tell you the truth, I'm not sure. I never really tried to ask, just in case no one was offering, so I didn't offend him.

KaktusJack
03-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Rex Harper and his parents need to pick up the phone and call some college coaches. Thats if the kid wants to play college ball in the first place. My son got some offers from some junior colleges but he wants to get educated at a major college. His love for the game doesnt supercede his education. If Rex loves the game with alot of passion i am sure he can play somewhere next year. Even if it is D-3 ball he will get looked at by bigger schools. Good luck Rex Harper!

Haunta Yo
03-07-2004, 07:23 AM
Height, Weight, 40 and Some Mo's Blue Chip list is all college coaches care about. Then they can't figure out why their teams underachieve.

Passion? Work Ethic? Discipline? Committment and sacrifice?

If they have it, great. It helps. But they ain't going to recruit for it.
Tell the kid from Kennedale to walk on and he'll probably stand out and be on scholarship after a year. Good Luck.

3afan
03-07-2004, 10:05 AM
maybe its his grades ....

stangdad 33
03-07-2004, 12:00 PM
another player who did not get much attention was a linbacker from sweetwaternamed micheal straley. Any team that had to play the mustangs over the last three years had to get him blocked or they could not move the ball. He is not the biggest kid in size but you can't measureheart or desire and he has it by the truck load. I know from watching him play that he is what sports are all about .Give it your all and refuse to lose.

Old Tiger
03-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Jamal Williams of Rockdale deserves one.

BrahmaMom
03-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Unfortunately, it is the player and his/her family who are responsible for going after a scholarship. A high school coach's job is to coach the high school team. A college coach's job is to recruit players to win games. Lots of deserving kids out there, talented, full of heart. But unless someone is out there selling a kid, it probably won't happen. Baseball is tougher than football--fewer scholarships per team, not full rides, etc. I encourage parents to start early and encourage players not to be shy about contacting colleges. Video, call, mail, give updates, etc. And always remember, it is NOT personal, it is all about business.

Papa Smurf 05
03-08-2004, 11:18 AM
Just a little update on Rex; he qualified for the State Powerlifting meet...again. At regionals I believe he lifted a little over 1300 lbs total weight, including a deadlift of 535 lbs and a bench press of 300 lbs. I must say that is a a pretty good amount of weight, especially for someone who's only 165 lbs I sure hope he goes somewhere. He is definitely a player that can improve a whole team.

vet93
03-08-2004, 12:08 PM
I saw Rex play last year and he was a stud...I don't understand why he isn't getting at least a partial scholarship at a LoneStar Conf. school or something...he can definitely play on saturdays if that is his goal.

Papa Smurf 05:
Just a little update on Rex; he qualified for the State Powerlifting meet...again. At regionals I believe he lifted a little over 1300 lbs total weight, including a deadlift of 535 lbs and a bench press of 300 lbs. I must say that is a a pretty good amount of weight, especially for someone who's only 165 lbs I sure hope he goes somewhere. He is definitely a player that can improve a whole team.

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Not only did I see him play, but my son (Vernon Safety) told me that guy ran harder than any other back he had played against all year. He is also very quick. He has two options in my opinion if he wants to play:

1) Walk on at a DII school (Midwestern, Southeastern OK, West Texas A&M, Tarleton) those are all close enough schools. The tuition, books, room, board everything will be about $6,000 a year. If he proves himself then maybe he could land a scholarship his sophmore year.

2) Walk on at a DIII school. They offer no athletic scholarships but some programs have great football teams. Hardin-Simmons is awesome. But tuition is very expensive. About $14,000 a year. There is also Sul Ross which is a lot cheaper but their team is not as good.

Rex is good enough to play. What he needs to do is get on the phone and start calling these schools to see what they can do for him. It may not be an athletic scholarship but they usually have other scholarships that could at least help pay some of that 6 grand a year. Tell him Southeastern Oklahoma in Durant--They have great coaches (younger ones) and that is where my son is going to play! I would love to see Rex there. Plus it is the cheapist of all the Lone Star Conference Schools.