PDA

View Full Version : When and Where Did You Coach or Play?

Bullaholic
10-10-2004, 07:58 PM
I think it would be really interesting to know how many of you guys play/ played, coach/coached, or officiate/offciated HS and/or college football? When? Where? What Position? How far did your team go? Any "All Anything" honors....and no-- it ain't bragging if you earned them, and want to state the record.
(By the way---for the gals--I know you probably did not play football, but may have had a great athletic career in some other sport-- I'd like to hear from you too.)

Bullaholic
10-10-2004, 08:07 PM
I know at least 3 on here that could break the "ice" if they wanted to....Sinton66, Keith7, and Gobbla2001

Keith7
10-10-2004, 08:11 PM
I played for Gainesville, and graduated in 2003, i didnt play college cuz i wasnt that good, I played Linebacker/ tightend, we lost to atlanta in the 2nd round but we were 10-2 for the season, I didn't have any honors, but was 1st team all district baseball

sinton66
10-10-2004, 08:12 PM
I don't know anything about football.:D

Bullaholic
10-10-2004, 08:13 PM
That's great Keith....you should be proud....did'nt know about the baseball.

Bullaholic
10-10-2004, 08:18 PM
Yea Sinton66, and I am an All-American graduated Magna cum laude from Rice in Astro Physics and was an all-pro QB for the Cowboys for 20 years.

Bullaholic
10-10-2004, 08:31 PM
You can protect your "privacy" if you want, by giving general info such as team and year--or provide as much info as you want to share.

sinton66
10-10-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Yea Sinton66, and I am an All-American graduated Magna cum laude from Rice in Astro Physics and was an all-pro QB for the Cowboys for 20 years.

Well, it's nice to meet you Mr. Staubach.:D

Bullaholic
10-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Only if I went to the Naval Academy....wish I had Roger's money. I really do hope some of the posters will provide a little of their athletic histories--I really am impressed with the football knowlege of many on here...it a real asset to this site. I'd like to add that doesn't mean there are not many people on here who did not play or officiate, but are equally knowledgeable as the participants.

sinton66
10-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Well, actually, I didn't get to play in high school even though I very much wanted to. We had a coach at the time that couldn't stand me and the feeling was mutual.

Bullaholic
10-10-2004, 08:44 PM
I did not play very long either Sinton66....only thru 8th grade. I quit because my dad took me out of private school, put me in public school, where I was not treated like the "star" I thought I was---and I quit. But I have been an avid football supporter every year since that time--and that was 45 years ago.

sinton66
10-10-2004, 08:51 PM
I would like to think I could have helped the team. I had size and speed. That particular coach has the worst record at Sinton.

slpybear the bullfan
10-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Bulls #70... Class of '89.... DT and C

Played Football from 5th grade through 12th... (5th was when they started PeeWee then).

Had a lot of fun and I am very jealous of the new "wide open" HS game that coaches like now.

I have watched just about every HS game the Bulls have played since '79. And a lot of other playoff ball.

Good Times... ;)

Gobbla2001
10-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Right Tackle, '97-'00 seasons...

Didn't start, too many bigger dudes on the line, plus I sure as heck wasn't an awesome OL....

Bullaholic
10-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Thanks slpy...I remember watching you!

LH Panther Mom
10-10-2004, 09:00 PM
I played basketball & ran track at Amherst, 7th-9th grade; played basketball 10th grade in Crosbyton. I earned all-district honors for bench warmer all 4 years. :D (This was back in the day of split-court for females.)

My knowledge & love of football came from dad, who coached in Pecos, Roaring Springs, Friona, Wolfforth (Frenship), Canadian, Amherst, Crosbyton and Matador (Motley County).

Bullaholic
10-10-2004, 09:06 PM
A most distinguished family athletic history LH Panther Mom. Thanks for sharing.

GreenMonster
10-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Bullaholic,
I went to high school in Iowa Park with one of your fine high school coaches there in Bridgeport. We were on some terrible football teams but we went to the semi's in baseball in 1993. Coach Dillard ( now on staff in Bridgeport ) was our workhorse on the mound and I was lucky enough to call myself his catcher. He went on to a successful college baseball career and a couple of years later I followed him to that next level where I burned a shoulder up and washed up back in Iowa Park.

Bullaholic
10-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Thanks GreenMonster....I did not know anything about Coach Dillard. By the way...looks like the Hawks are "flyin' high" this year. Best of Luck.

PhiI C
10-10-2004, 10:15 PM
I didn't play football in high school but I am a fan. I was a track man for Freer High School Buckaroos. I did get a few second place medals and got third place in the 880 which was two times around the field at that time.

dogdad
10-10-2004, 10:16 PM
played LB for South Garland over 30 years ago
coached youth football, baseball, and soccer
umpired baseball for several years
have always been an avid h.s. football fan
moved to Royse City 20 years ago and have missed 5 games during that time...not a fair-weather fan

PhiI C
10-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Oh and I also like boys and girls basketball, volleyball, soccer, and softball. In fact surprising to some though I like them all my favorite is softball.

Rabbit'93
10-10-2004, 10:31 PM
I played QB until a broken wrist took me to FS/WR my senior year.:weeping:. I also played Basketball, Track, & Baseball. Started on Varsity my Freshman year in Baseball.

Keith7
10-10-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
I like them all my favorite is softball.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

turbostud
10-11-2004, 01:02 AM
I played FB/LB at a 2a school called S&S Consolidated. Every year we were the whipping boys for Celina, Pilot Point, and even Southlake Carroll(they were 2a in 84 & 85 and in our district). I ended up quitting after my sophmore year cause the coach moved me to Guard on offense for some size and me being the typical hot headed high school kid was not about to play on the O-line when I thought I should be carrying the ball(wish I had that one to do over). So I ran CC and Track and played Bball. I qualified my senior year for the state track meet in the 3200m and got 5th with a time of 9:52. Also got State Runners Up one year in CC and even got a small scholarship out of it.

District303aPastPlayer
10-11-2004, 02:56 AM
Sinton HS, Class of 01
Played Football from around age 9 til Sr year in HS...OLine DLine
Baseball in the Little Leagues
Academic Decathlon in HS... won about 5 State Gold Medals, 4 Silver and a good dozen or two medals at minor competitions.

I was a jock with my body and my brain, go figure...:eek: :eek:

Oh yeah, i have a good gene pool too.
My dad played baseball/softball almost all of his life so far.
he caught a TD pass every game his Sr year in HS.
Stole 70 bases that year as well... Named Big Brother/Big Sister All District Athlete of the Year, All District in Footall and Baseball (1st team i assume)
Older Brother: 1st Team all District in: Baseball, Football, Basketball and Reg Qualifier in CC. Had 1 stolen base on him in 2 years as catcher for his HS, and never lost to Sinton in baseball (thats hard to say around these parts)

okay, so all my relatives got the athletic genes, sue me :D

k-town ballers
10-17-2004, 06:09 PM
I was #77 left tackle, Kaufman Lions, class of 74.
My oldest son #82 tight end /def end, lions, class of 02
My youngest son #60 left tackle, Lions, class of 05

k-town ballers
10-17-2004, 06:13 PM
oldest son is now playing left tackle for missouri western state,

44INAROW
10-17-2004, 06:15 PM
I never played football in Cuero, but I have contributed by feeding my share of the players over the last 15 years while my boys were/have been in school. :D :D My dad was a referee for many years so that's as close to coaching as my heritage goes lol

Lady Irondawg
10-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Hello Everyone, I'm fairly new to downlow but not to sports. I played volleyball, basketball, and POWERLIFTING in High School. I am a 3X Regional, 3X State, and 2X National Champion in POWERLIFTING. I currently still have SEVERAL records standing at all levels. :clap: :clap: :clap: :cheerl: :cheerl:

SADAWG
10-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Parents took me to my first football game when I was 2 or 3 weeks old - definitely a football (and other sports) family. :D

I played basketball (split and full court) & ran track in the late 70's. Lettered in track 4 years. High jump – Regional qualifier 4 years, District Champion 2 years, runner-up at State 1 year, several meet records, 22 top 3 finishes, tied District record. Best jump 5'6''. Long jump – Regional qualifier 2 years, District Champ 1 year, 8 top 3 finishes. Triple jump – Regional qualifier 3 years, 9 top 3 finishes. Hurdles my senior year only, 3 top 3 finishes. Had several scholarship offers, but I decided not to run in college. Became just a normal :devil: college student!

bigpimpin
10-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Started playing football my sophomore year and was backup WR/FS. Next year on JV I was starting TE. Last year I graduated and played backup TE/DE behind a pretty good bunch,2 of the TE in front of me got full scholarships:thinking:.....plus I was 150 lbs, but I was all-state scout team. I played my football Mon-Wed in practice...only time I got to play. My brother played for Victoria Stingarees(old school) while Reeve was there, All-Area LG and all kinds of good stuff, played semi-pro for Victoria Kings for a little while and in S.A. That's about it. Oh yea, graduated from Cuero.

IHStangFan
10-20-2004, 07:43 AM
I ran track:

Varsity Long Jumper
JV Sprinter
Occasional Varsity/JV Distance (i.e. 800 & 1600m)

I was also in the band

Marching
Jazz
Symphonic: played trombone in all

Underwater Basketweaver
10-20-2004, 07:59 AM
Graduated from Olney High School in '92, was 1st team all district DT and OL(tackle) for two years. The cubs made the regional round of the playoffs my senior year and area my junior year. We also won the first district championship in 26 years at Olney my junior year. I also won district championship in shot put and got 4th at regionals. Didn't play in college, although I had some opportunities. I was a big kid for 2A 6'2" about 280 (playing weight), wish I could keep it there now.

GreenMonster
10-20-2004, 08:15 AM
hey basketweaver, you play with Slater and that bunch under Danny Eddleman?

BlueBlood
10-20-2004, 09:11 AM
High school in Boston then on to Harvard.

Tiny
10-20-2004, 09:14 AM
I played at Grapevine.

ej2525
10-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Hon. Mention All-State LB @ 4A school in 1991 (Sr. yr.)
1st Team All-State Baseball 1992 (Sr. yr.)

Turned down football scholarships to SWT & New Mexico to play baseball for 4 yrs. (2 yrs. Juco - TX) and 2 yrs. @ D1 college. Then the train ride ended!! :(

Wouldn't trade it for anything!

cardtilldeath
10-20-2004, 09:55 AM
EJ dont forget to tell them you also were my caddy your freshman year in baseball.

handNthedirt
10-20-2004, 09:57 AM
I played D-line and TE, earning many accolades, for the 5A Round Rock Westwood Warriors, graduated in '94. Went on to play at Midwestern State from '96-'00, DE and LB. Now coaching D-line in the DFW area.....Life is Good!!!

ej2525
10-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by cardtilldeath
EJ dont forget to tell them you also were my caddy your freshman year in baseball.

I was also your limo driver home from Louisiana (Stars) even though I didn't have a driver’s license. :eek:

cardtilldeath
10-20-2004, 10:06 AM
dont tell my mom. oh wait, didnt all the moms get together in the stands one game and bust us?

Doon
10-20-2004, 10:31 AM
McCamey Class of 1980.

Football 7th-12th. District 6-1A Champions Senior Year. Got our butts whipped by Seagraves in Bi-District.
Positions: RB, QB, SE, LB, DB

Golf: 9th grade Varsity

Track and Field: 10th-12th. Regional Qualifier High Jump 12th.

Baseball: 10th and 11th, until they got rid of it.

Baseball player age 7 to 14. All-Star from age 9-14. Went to the state tournament Little League (Texas teenage baseball at the time) 11 years old.

Coached Pee-Wee football a couple of years.

Coached Little League with son from age 7-14 (now 16). Won first place 6 times.

Love High School Football. Been to almost all Ingleside games since 1995, with the exception of times spent out at sea.

Forgot Basketball, there is a reason for that. 7th-11th.