PDA

View Full Version : Does "Fire Mack Brown" attitude apply to HS coaches?

Bullaholic
10-10-2004, 09:27 AM
I wonder how many HS coaches have been fired or come close to being fired because they could not win the "Big" game against their chief rivals for several years? My opinion is-- not very many because the stakes are just not nearly as large in HS as in college because of the exposure , size of fan bases, and economics, and HS coaches seem to move on regularly on their own anyhow in the modern era. An extreme test example of this
question would be---Would Pilot Point consider firing G.A. Moore if he can't beat Celina over the next couple of years? (I am using this question as purely an analogy and am not asking for a poll pro/con on coach Moore.)

Haunta Yo
10-10-2004, 10:11 AM
A school that has a program that's doing a lot of things RIGHT would be foolish to fire a coach based on ONE opponent or even one season.

You may end up with a coach leading your program that does things wrong and STILL loses to that team or maybe beats that team, but doesn't make the playoffs...

Hiring and firing is not as simple as typing on a message board "get rid of him". Firing someone has a tremendous trickle down effect that most administrators don't want to mess with. It's a HUGE headache.

Tougher situations involve coaches that ARE NOT doing things right, but are winning. Most administrators know it's going to catch up with them eventually, but it's hard to fire someone that winning.

Best to do what's right

VWG
10-10-2004, 11:39 AM
I agree. Coaches, especially head coaches of any sport, have a very difficult job. Schools need to look not only at their win-loss records but also at their overall performance. How is the school's athletic department since he arrived? How do the kids feel about the coach and his program? Is it setting a good foundation for the kids to come up through, not only in sports but in molding young men and women to succeed beyond athletics?
These are a few questions that have to be asked before the school board votes somebody "off the island".
Now, I do have to say that the guy needs to win to keep his job. Not many coaches will survive without winning a few games here and there. You can have the cleanest, most polished program in the world but after an 0-10 or 2-8 season the pressure builds.

Keith7
10-10-2004, 11:43 AM
you cant use GA Moore as an example because he has won championships.. something that Mack Brown hasnt.. I could careless about mack brown or if he gets fired or a 10 year contract i dont care.. i am just pointing something out

Johnny Utah
10-10-2004, 02:35 PM
So OU has UT's number. Does that Mack Brown a bad coach. Do not forget that OU lost to K-State last year. Does that make Stoops a bad coach??? High School and College coaches have an awesome responsibilty. Give them a break!!!!

Bullaholic
10-10-2004, 04:08 PM
The consensus opinion that I am picking up on, so far on this question, is that most of you believe that HS coaches should be given more leeway in their tenures if they are developing programs and young athletes in the proper manner over the course of time. I would agree with that, and that college coaches fall into the "What have you done for me lately?" judging criterion and pro coaches tend to be evaluated with "What have you done for me this season?"

VWG
10-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
The consensus opinion that I am picking up on, so far on this question, is that most of you believe that HS coaches should be given more leeway in their tenures if they are developing programs and young athletes in the proper manner over the course of time. I would agree with that, and that college coaches fall into the "What have you done for me lately?" judging criterion and pro coaches tend to be evaluated with "What have you done for me this season?"

Yes, the HS coaches should be given more leeway if they are "building" programs, etc..... BUT- that rope will shorten if they lose consistently. Any coach has to start winning... sometime.

LST_Terry
10-10-2004, 07:12 PM
HS coaches have something Brown does not.. a play-off...In Hs if your making the play-offs year in and year out and you always compete well in the play-offs you usually will keep your job.

oh well
10-10-2004, 07:48 PM
Good Point VWG

slpybear the bullfan
10-10-2004, 08:59 PM
UTs goal is to win a Big 12 championship.

They haven't under Brown's tenure.

Mack also hasn't represented the school well in bowls or the big game each year against OU (not just a rival but a top-10 team in the nation).

That is why TexExs call for his head. Would you be satisfied with never winning a championship or big game but always having winning seasons....?

Birdman
10-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Comparing college coaches to high school coaches is like comparing apples to oranges. About all they have in common is that it is football they are coaching. Mack Brown, (like all major college coaches) is paid a huge salary knowing what their job is. Mack Brown RECRUITS his talent. By the way, he recruits very well. So the heat brought down on him by not beating OU 5 years in a row is legit. Adrian Peterson was asked why he chose OU over UT and he said, "I want to win a National Championship". If high school seniors see this, it exposes the liablility of a million dollar coach. Mack Brown is a good coach, but doesn't appear to be a great coach. UT and their money demand a great coach.

JasperDog94
10-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by LST_Terry
HS coaches have something Brown does not.. a play-off...In Hs if your making the play-offs year in and year out and you always compete well in the play-offs you usually will keep your job. I couldn't agree more.