PDA

View Full Version : Final score in Port Isabel....

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Lyford - 0
Port Isabel - 37

Paybacks are a B#%@H, aren't they Lyford?

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Good job!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Our boys were out to prove that last year's 39-20 loss to Lyford was 100% fluke. And they did just that.

Good job Tarpons, up next.......Raymondville!

turbostud
10-08-2004, 11:14 PM
TFINT, where is the Raymondville game, in PI or Weslaco?

SintonFan
10-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Awesome Tarpons!:clap: Paybacks a b... bad thing.

PI-fan
10-08-2004, 11:27 PM
PI 37 Lyford zer0

J.Nitro went down early in the 1st... he should see a professional for whatever he seems to re-agravating... still a couple of weeks til the playoffs he should sit out till he's REALLY 100%, i have a feeling he says i'm good to go, but week after week he re-agravates it.

Back to the game... Lyford receives first... 3 and out, PI turn, sustain a drive and score with about 9? min to in the 1st. Lyford 2nd possession 3 and out... PI drives- TD again with about 6:27 left in 1st qtr... Lyfords 3rd possession nothing to show for... PI gets another TD on its 3rd possession.

Lyford steps up defensive-wise but PI still commanding in the 2nd qtr... PI was gonna score again, but with 11 secs left the coach Does NOT call a timeout (2 remain) :mad: they run a play, get to the 1yrd line, ask for timeout at what seemed with 1 sec left, refs said no, PI squashes a sure TD. Stays at: PI 21, Lyford 0 at half with PI having 250 some yards, Lyford 31

3rd qtr starts: PI starts off and drives but penalties plague them, Lyfords picks up a 1st down here and there but nothing close till 4th qtr. By the end of the 3rd or begginning of fourth PI drops a TD pass on 3rd down but settle for FG. PI 24 Ly 0. 4th qtr PI smelling blood scores TD, but xtra pt gets blocked PI 30, Ly 0.

#23 Infante for Lyford finally does some damage in a 40yd pass reception, then gets a 1st on a 10yd run... but the next play they go for a HB pass and it gets intercepted. That was the best Lyford could do upto then. PI with about 4min to go scores again... awesome 40+yrd run by Ralph up the middle PI 37 Lyford 0

Grisham did the majority of the running, #1 Frankie also had a 40 something td run... nice. ;)

PIs passion helped them shutout Lyford but it also caused some penalties-personal fouls/blocking behind the back, which negated at least one sure TD... Also, #11 Lando gets an unsportsmanlike penalty as well, coach chewed him out :)

PI should and probably will show more discipline and cut those penalties come playoff time, cuz it might come back to haunt them against a better opponent.

To my understanding the Ray game will be at Weslaco ;)

CheerMom
10-08-2004, 11:33 PM
Congrats, PI!! Good Luck the rest of the season!!
Go Raiders!!!:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

JettJenkins04
10-09-2004, 12:28 AM
I thought Johnny Nitro was a seinor last year when we played them in the Quarter finals.

Ray_BearKat
10-09-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
TFINT, where is the Raymondville game, in PI or Weslaco?

Its gonna be at Lackey Stadium...

LHMom
10-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Congrats to PI. Keep winning! - until about late November when we meet again! :cool:

PI-fan
10-09-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by JettJenkins04
I thought Johnny Nitro was a seinor last year when we played them in the Quarter finals.

nah he was a junior, #21 Missle was a senior though ;)

Hupernikomen
10-09-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas
Our boys were out to prove that last year's 39-20 loss to Lyford was 100% fluke. And they did just that.

Good job Tarpons, up next.......Raymondville!

that's no fluke that is a butt-whoopin...sounds like you returned the favor.

PI-fan
10-09-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by CheerMom
Congrats, PI!! Good Luck the rest of the season!!
Go Raiders!!!:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

Thx, and best of luck to the Raiders ;)

But seems u guys don't need any luck, well against Matt's #9 Navasota :D

footballgal
10-09-2004, 01:26 AM
Great Job Tarpons! Keep it rollin'
Next is Raymondville--- So Ozzy is Lacky Stadium is the "real" Stadium for the Weslaco Pathers/Wilcats?

footballgal
10-09-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
that's no fluke that is a butt-whoopin...sounds like you returned the favor.
Yeah, your right; Lyford came out to play last year, and Tarpons were caught on their heels. But this year Tarpons are not overlooking anybody they don't want to share the district crown, unlike last year.

footballgal
10-09-2004, 01:32 AM
Hey PI Fan, how about that for sure TD that Frankie H ran, but the Lyford defender heads up play, by punching from behind the ball and the ball comes out and Lyford gets it back inside the 10?

I really miss watching Johnny "Nitro" Nieto play,http://img30.exs.cx/img30/1226/GoJohnnygo1.jpg especially on offense, the way he makes every body miss tackle him. I hope he sits out at least a couple of games to get completely healed so he can play @100%, come playoff time. Because Johnny one of those awesome, awesome player and kid you don't see every year. I know he is so tough that he wants to play, he looked very upset after he reaggravted his injury (deep calf bruise). I think he got hurt on the 2nd play

Hupernikomen
10-09-2004, 01:34 AM
tonight was a huge step in that direction...who beat lyford last year to cause a tie situation? and is that team going to be a threat this year?

footballgal
10-09-2004, 01:43 AM
Raymondville beat Lyford like by 1 point and that was their one loss and then Lyford beat PI, giving them their 1 loss as well, thus they ended up as co-champs. La Feria was the 3rd place team. Speaking of La Feria Lions, they woke up just in time for district play they should be the next team to make a challenge for the crown. They are idle this week but are now 2-0 in district as they beat the two teams they should have and now start playing the tougher teams of the district. The Lions and the Tarpons face each other at Port Isabel in two weeks. As I see it after this week's play, I see La Feria and Lyford battlin' for runner up and the 3rd playoff spot. Which means, Port Isabel would go Div. II. I don't see PI losing to anyone in district, especially if the "seawall defense" continues to dominate. The only ones that might give PI a game, again are La Feria and maybe Rio Hondo. PI closes the district play against the Progreso Red Ants.

footballgal
10-09-2004, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Awesome Tarpons!:clap: Paybacks a b... bad thing.

Paybacks are what SintonFan?:D

footballgal
10-09-2004, 02:27 AM
Super Splash

Port Isabel shuts out Lyford
]http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/images/uploads/Port_IsabelLyford.jpg
By MIKE GONZALEZ
The Brownsville Herald

PORT ISABEL, October 9, 2004 — Lyford was a victim of things not bouncing its way, even Mother Nature wasn’t by its side.

Port Isabel rolled over the Bulldogs in a key District 32-3A match 37-0 Friday night at Tarpon Stadium. With the victory, the Tarpons (2-0 in District 32-3A, 5-1 overall) are in a tie for first place with La Feria, who had a bye week.

With a wind gust of at least 20-mph from the northeast, Lyford (1-1, 4-2) received the opening kickoff going against the wind and right away the ‘Seawall Defense’ set the tempo.

Going three-and-out on their first three possessions, the Bulldogs were forced to punt against the howling wind and Port Isabel open its gates. Punts of 17, 13, and 28 set up the Tarpons’ first three scores of the ball game all in the first quarter.

Led by Orlando Ochoa (12 rushes, 108 yards, two touchdowns), Port Isabel stampeded through Lyford’s defensive line finishing with 427 yards rushing.

Ochoa put his team up 7-0 on a 15-yard keeper behind his imposing blocking of the Tarpons’ offensive line.

Port Isabel struck again on Frankie Herrera’s first carry of the ball game. The senior darted up the middle almost untouched for a 40-yard touchdown to increase the lead to 14-0 following Sergio Reyes’ extra point. Herrera finished the night with 89 yards rushing on six carries and a touchdown.

Still in the first quarter, Ochoa this time went through the air and found a wide-open Oscar Grisham for a 58-yard touchdown. With a 21-0 advantage, the game was pretty much in the bag.

“(The wind) was blowing hard,” said Port Isabel head coach Monty Stumbaugh. “Luckily it worked for us and we got good field position. We got early scores on them.”

The ‘Seawall’ continued its dominant throughout. The Tarpons defense managed to slow down Lyford's running attack that came into Friday night as the leader in district with 305.8 yards a game. The Bulldogs were held to a season low 52 yards. The attack was led by defensive end Esteban Delgadillo, line backer Frankie Herrea, defensive end Abel Woods and Ochoa at safety.

“Whenever you face the Seawall, there’s not much you can do,” Delgadillo said. “We never stop playing. We just know what to do and people just go all out.”

Lyford quarterback Adrian Romo finished the night with a mere 39 yards passing and an interception, completing just one pass off ten attempts.

Mark Villarreal gave the defense a boost as well as he picked off two passes, with his last coming late in the game to keep the shutout in tact. Villarreal also had a 41–yard touchdown late in the fourth to go along with his two picks.

In the first drive of the contest, starting running back Johnny left after just one carry, in which he got eight yards. Coming into the game, Nieto was battling a deep calf bruise, but was tackled hard and didn’t return. Stumbaugh said Nieto wanted to come back, but decided to keep him in the sideline.

“He’s got a deep bruise, but he felt better than he did last week,” Stumbaugh said.

The coach, who now has career record of 32-12 at Port Isabel, said Nieto is day-to-day.

Grisham came in midway in the first quarter and the offense didn’t miss a beat. He ended the contest with 97 yards on 17 carries. With Nitro’s health a question mark, the junior knew an opportunity might emerge and was ready for the challenge.

“They (coaches) just told me, ‘show me what you can do,’” Grisham said. “Tonight, I showed them what I can do. I proved to my team I can do it.”

mgonzalez@brownsvilleherlad.com

shankbear
10-09-2004, 09:35 AM
A big Southeast congrats to the Tarps. Keep it up guys.

Ray_BearKat
10-09-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
Great Job Tarpons! Keep it rollin'
Next is Raymondville--- So Ozzy is Lacky Stadium is the "real" Stadium for the Weslaco Pathers/Wilcats?

Yeah, Lackey Stadium is the former Panther Stadium...Congrats to you guys.

PI-fan
10-09-2004, 10:33 PM
yeah gal i was gettin ready to take a pic on the TD run... then i saw the ball in the air go for about 10yds... lol

It landed around the 5yd line, but Lyford couldn't muster anything and went 3 and out.

Oh did u see that hit by #44 Woods, he's gettin a knack for those Roy Williams hitz :eek: it was so fierce that even he got up a lil groogy :D I even think he took 2 Lyford guys down, yikes!

footballgal
10-10-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by PI-fan
yeah gal i was gettin ready to take a pic on the TD run... then i saw the ball in the air go for about 10yds... lol

It landed around the 5yd line, but Lyford couldn't muster anything and went 3 and out.

Oh did u see that hit by #44 Woods, he's gettin a knack for those Roy Williams hitz :eek: it was so fierce that even he got up a lil groogy :D I even think he took 2 Lyford guys down, yikes!
I know, that was a for sure TD, if it wasn't for that heads up play of the Lyford player.

Yeah, I saw that! it was like a bowling ball hitting two pins and they both ended up in the gutter. :D

Hey Ozzy, quit trying to confuse me, the former Panther stadium???? So that would be the practice field one??