PDA

View Full Version : Injury Info Example

Green Ranger
10-08-2004, 11:40 AM
Read this in Sports Center likewise a story in the Midland Paper today and was kinda funny seeing both sides of the story, however this story: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1897461 shows that there are laws and info should be kept quiet UNLESS the athlete or family allows it to be made public. Prayers and thoughts with the Athlete from Uconn. This ESPN story is how things should be done.

3afan
10-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Are Conn laws different that Texas? Probably so but I don't know. COuld they be different for HS vs. college students? Again, I don't know - just throwing it out there .....

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2004, 11:49 AM
3afan, I don't know how the Texas privacy laws view injuries, but once the person turns 18, they're pretty strict regarding other things.

3afan
10-08-2004, 11:55 AM
you mean UNTIL a person turns 18 ????

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Different set of laws. I reread your first post, so mine now doesn't make as much sense.

Green Ranger
10-08-2004, 12:43 PM
HIPPA and FERPA Laws cover the entire US. Until the athlete turns 18 it us up to the parents. After the Athlete turns 18, it is up to him/her who their medical information is released to, to include coaching staff. With that being said, knowing an athlete has gone to the doctor and not receiving a note saying they are alright to play, that athlete can be held out till that note is given to them. Thus, college kids do not have to contact their parents as they can choose what they want to do. Hope this makes sense and sheds some light on this topic. Another little note, when you go to the doctors for a procedure or are in over night you sign alot of papers, one of them or a question you are asked is to whom your condition may be released or if the hospital can tell someone on the phone looking for you if you are there, it goes back to those two laws.