PDA

View Full Version : Jasper is over-confident

St. Ivender
10-22-2002, 01:39 PM
There are at least 15 teams in 3A capable of beating Jasper (Newton included). You better MAKE the playoffs before talking smack about the State Championship. When's the last time Jasper won one of those anyway? Never as best I can tell. Newton fans are "giddy" about the recent turn of events because Jasper was SO worked up about beating lowly Newton. They were hanging their whole season on that game. It's too bad we won't meet in the playoffs. If this were 1981 Jasper would be staying home for the holidays.

PPHSfan
10-22-2002, 01:47 PM
I dont mean to sound silly, but if Jasper can't win one out of the next three against Diboll, Woodville, and Huntington, then...well..uh...We never walked on the moon, and Elvis aint Dead either. :p :p

The only thing that keeps Jasper out of the playoffs this year would be....well...let me think....NOTHING.

But good luck to Newton, I am sure you guys will grab the top seed in division 2. And go deep as well.

kepdawg
10-22-2002, 02:27 PM
I don' think it is fair to generalize and state that "Jasper" is overconfident. Are you speaking of the team? The fans? The town? All of the above? There most likely are segments of each of these groups that are overconfident. In general, I feel that most people realize that nothing is a given and that the team has a lot of work to do to accomplish its goal. I am excited and would love it if Jasper did win the state championship, but I'll worry about that at the appropriate time.

<small>[ October 22, 2002, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: kepdawg ]</small>

Old Cardinal
10-22-2002, 03:31 PM
To St. Ivender, You must be joking or living in a fantasy state! Jasper is strong enough to be a good State Champ contender in 4A, much less 3A. Would you please name the many teams in 3A that you are sure could whip Jasper?

98Eagle
10-22-2002, 04:56 PM
Jasper has a right to be confident, especially after handing us our butts last friday. Them having to forfeit the game is meaningless. We know who was the better team that night and it wasn't us. Jasper will make a lot of noise in Div. I as will we in Div. II.

eye of the tiger
10-22-2002, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PPHSfan:

... and Elvis aiant Dead either .

Elvis is dead? When did that happen :)

Jasper is going to do just fine. Im just not too sure there are 15 teams in 3A teams that can beat them. Newton is probably going to do ok also. Both schools should support each other in their quest for state. That may be too much to ask for in that rivalry.

Bulldog92
10-22-2002, 06:02 PM
Newton and Jasper are friendly rivals...at least from the Jasper point of view. We do root for each other and will continue to do so.

Jason1725
10-22-2002, 06:05 PM
Don't flatter yourself by saying Jasper hinged the whole season on the Newton game, that wasn't the reason we were giddy. The reason Jasper was happy was after the lack of respect shown by some Newton fans and media across the state. It was just one game for Jasper because their goal is a State Championship. I think Friday proved that more often then not Jasper would come away with a win against Newton. It is a shame that after getting pasted 45-20 you have to gloat over an unfortunate event but thats ok. If getting a win for your team that way makes you happy then so be it.

Jason1725
10-22-2002, 06:22 PM
After some fans on here and elsewhere hinted at a shutout or by winning by 18 or more points with the media saying Jasper would lose at home is the reason everyone was happy about that win. If anything it was Newton that was over-confident. Some fans of Newton even said they wanted to break our QB's neck. That was why the Bulldog fans were happy. Jasper in no means hinged the season on that one game.

Jason1725
10-22-2002, 06:24 PM
Correction, that was Diboll.

PurpleEagles02
10-22-2002, 06:31 PM
Well I hope ya'll beat the s*** out of Diboll becuase that is just uncalled for...if that would have come from Newton, I would be ashamed to claim that that is where I am from.