PDA

View Full Version : DMN Article (3A's to 4A ...)

3afan
10-08-2004, 08:32 AM
Leap requires all hands on deck

Moving up to 4A changes everything - or so it seems

By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGHStaff Writer / The Dallas Morning News

EVERMAN – Shamarcus Holloway began to realize two weeks ago why practices at Everman have been so much more demanding this season.

Stephenville's athletic and well-coached defense hounded the senior fullback and his offensive teammates all night. Everman, the 3A Division I state champion in 2001 and 2002, mustered only 95 yards rushing on 34 attempts in a 9-0 loss to its 4A opponent.

"Last year, we didn't even have to go to practice to win," Holloway said. "In 4A, you have to practice hard, watch a lot of film and know [your opponent's] key players."

Everman (3-1) is among six area schools making the jump from 3A to 4A this season after the biennial UIL realignment.
High Schools

Class 4A schools typically have more players, more coaches and more funds with which to operate than their 3A counterparts. Schools making the transition to a higher classification can sometimes be overwhelmed by the increased athleticism, depth and sophistication of their opponents.

Forney, like Everman, was basically a lock for the playoffs in 3A. But a bruising schedule and injuries have put Forney (1-4) in a precarious situation as it enters district play tonight against Terrell.

Surprisingly, Lake Dallas (4-1) is having more success in 4A than it had recently in 3A thanks to an explosive offense that is putting up 37 points per game.

Welcome back

Everman coach Dale Keeling expected his program to return to 4A and prepared for it. He increased the number of coaches on his staff during the last four years. Keeling limited his players to either offense or defense, whereas most 3A teams depend on two-way players.

So when Keeling told his players they were moving to 4A in February, his program's structure didn't really change.

"We always said as long as we're in 3A, we have to have 4A expectations," Keeling said.

Everman has 1,044 students. In 15-4A, its enrollment eclipses only Alvarado's. The other four schools have more than 1,500 students.

Small 4A schools have fewer athletes to choose from. That means fewer 270-pounders and athletes with a 4.5 time in the 40.

But there is a chance to succeed immediately in 4A with the right ingredients.

The Everman program is built on tradition. Its talent pool is deep because it has an established feeder middle school. The athletes are plentiful, especially on the Everman defense, which held Stephenville – a team that was averaging more than 40 points per game – to 200 total yards and three field goals.

"They've already [developed] the talent that is there, and they're doing really well with it continuing on," said Alvarado coach Howard Wells, whose team plays Everman tonight.

Timing is everything

Sometimes, the timing just isn't right for even the best programs to make the jump.

Forney coach Kevin Rush said his team, already suffering from the loss of an impressive senior class, has been bombarded with injuries. It doesn't help that the UIL plopped Forney in a district with Highland Park, Wylie and Terrell.

Forney's team, built on speed in 3A, is undersized and outmanned.

"Numbers aren't the issue for us," Rush said. "Not to be negative, but I think we'd be struggling in 3A."

No time like the present

Lake Dallas, unlike Forney and Everman, did struggle in 3A, enduring four straight losing seasons before making the jump to 4A.

Lake Dallas, which is only one victory from equaling last season's win total, is showing that tradition isn't a necessity to win in 4A.

Even with his team's early success, coach Randy Patzkowski knows the rebuilding job has just begun.

"We were hoping for two more years in 3A," said Patzkowski, in his second season at Lake Dallas. "We have a whole new staff and a new philosophy. We changed everything. That takes time.

"We have to put a structure in place, a system. When you have a system, it doesn't matter what class you are."

IHStangFan
10-08-2004, 08:38 AM
hell...i should have paid more attention to the realighnment...i didnt know Everman went up to 4A!?

Titans
10-08-2004, 08:43 AM
Everman was 4A, dropped to 3A (where it domintated at times), now back to 4A. They have enough talent to succeed, just don't know how far.

It's funny...they were saying they didn't have to go to practice to win in 3A. Makes me wonder if they did? If not, that explains why they didn't win the state championship every year while down here.

Aren't they in the same district as Waxahachie, Midlothian and Ennis?

PPHSfan
10-08-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Titans
...It's funny...they were saying they didn't have to go to practice to win in 3A. Makes me wonder if they did? If not, that explains why they didn't win the state championship every year while down here.

Aren't they in the same district as Waxahachie, Midlothian and Ennis?

They won it a couple more times in a short amount of time than a lot of teams have.

3afan
10-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
hell...i should have paid more attention to the realighnment...i didnt know Everman went up to 4A!?

you're joking, right?

PPHSfan
10-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
you're joking, right?

LOL, Really.

If Everman, Burnet, and Forney were still here, the top ten would look a lot different.

3afan
10-08-2004, 09:20 AM
uhh, maybe Everman & Burnet -- give Forney a few years :thumbsup:

PPHSfan
10-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
uhh, maybe Everman & Burnet -- give Forney a few years :thumbsup:

Well you are probably right this year. But Forney was definatley a top tier team for the past four years.

3afan
10-08-2004, 09:58 AM
yes they were ...

VWG
10-08-2004, 10:14 AM
I would think that most programs do have to "step up" and change a few things when they move up to 4A.
An increase in enrollment would mean adding more staff, etc....
Most 4A schools have athletes that play only one, maybe two sports due to the large enrollments.
Aledo is one program that comes to mind that has done very well in its' jump from 3A to 4A.

olddawggreen
10-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by VWG
I would think that most programs do have to "step up" and change a few things when they move up to 4A.
An increase in enrollment would mean adding more staff, etc....
Most 4A schools have athletes that play only one, maybe two sports due to the large enrollments.
Aledo is one program that comes to mind that has done very well in its' jump from 3A to 4A.

VWG, I think that being able to add new staff would depend on how much of an increase in enrollment a school experiences. An example would be Burnet, who showed an enrollment of about 947 when the count was taken for the realignment. I understand that at the begining of classes this fall we were actually down to a count of around 907, which barely puts us over the 900 mark.

Then if you were able to take away the Quest School enrollement, ( Quest is an alternate school for kids that have had disapline problems or other problems that might keep them from finishing high school. It is a program that enrolls kids from the Marble Falls, Llano and Lampasas School Districts, but that are counted on the Burnet enrollment. These kids for what ever reason generaly are not elegable to participate in athaletic events) Burnet would still be in the 3a numbers.

I dont think you can really beef up your staff based on that, so basicly I would guess your practices may have to become much more intense in order to compete with schools that have an enrollment of 1900 or so. In Burnets case they had a great coaching staff and football program in place and still had a great amount of talent available. But theres no way Burnet can have the kind of depth that these larger schools do. It will be interesting to see how the season turns out.

VWG
10-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
VWG, I think that being able to add new staff would depend on how much of an increase in enrollment a school experiences. An example would be Burnet, who showed an enrollment of about 947 when the count was taken for the realignment. I understand that at the begining of classes this fall we were actually down to a count of around 907, which barely puts us over the 900 mark.

Then if you were able to take away the Quest School enrollement, ( Quest is an alternate school for kids that have had disapline problems or other problems that might keep them from finishing high school. It is a program that enrolls kids from the Marble Falls, Llano and Lampasas School Districts, but that are counted on the Burnet enrollment. These kids for what ever reason generaly are not elegable to participate in athaletic events) Burnet would still be in the 3a numbers.

I dont think you can really beef up your staff based on that, so basicly I would guess your practices may have to become much more intense in order to compete with schools that have an enrollment of 1900 or so. In Burnets case they had a great coaching staff and football program in place and still had a great amount of talent available. But theres no way Burnet can have the kind of depth that these larger schools do. It will be interesting to see how the season turns out.

Very true olddawg. I did mean that adding staff would only be due to a jump in enrollment, but the jump in numbers would have to justify the additions of coaching staff.