PDA

View Full Version : Are HS Players More or Less Aggressive Now?

Bullaholic
10-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Do you think HS football players are more or less aggressive on the field today than a few years ago? I think they are bigger and faster, but less aggressive overall, as I think our society has tried to discourage aggressive, violent behavior by characterizing it as undesirable in modern society.

mustang04
10-07-2004, 03:07 PM
i think they are less aggressive overall too

Phantom Stang
10-07-2004, 03:14 PM
The officials seem to be quicker to throw flags nowdays.

mustang04
10-07-2004, 03:18 PM
penalties has nothing to do w/ aggressiveness, i knew some players who had some of the best sportsman like conduct, but were very aggressive

PPHSfan
10-07-2004, 04:02 PM
I know a few who are boy scouts six and a half days a week. But about two hours before game time they turn into Mr. Hyde.

Phantom Stang
10-07-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
penalties has nothing to do w/ aggressiveness, i knew some players who had some of the best sportsman like conduct, but were very aggressive

Mabe I should have said I think the refs are "too eager" to throw flags. Especially when it comes to pass interference.

However I made no corelation between aggressiveness and unsportsmanlike conduct.

mustang04
10-07-2004, 04:35 PM
well, when i say sportsmanlike conduct it includes doing things to get a flag thrown for, but the way u said it, i thought u were meaning the refs were throwing the flags more as a result of guys doing things due to their aggresiveness

Bullaholic
10-07-2004, 04:38 PM
A perfect combo PPHSfan.....good students and kids who can get motivated enough come game time to play football like it should be played....Drive hard and stike clean like they mean it.

JasonTX
10-08-2004, 08:49 AM
I think they are less aggressive. A lot of coaches are a lot more laid back with the players than 10 years ago. Someone mentioned flags being thrown as a reason for less agression. Over the past 10 years the rules have changed to better protect "defensless" players, but this shouldn't stop them from playing agressive as long as its done legally. Yesterday I was working an 8th grade game and this kid got hit by a player at least twice his size and it knocked him down and he was dizzy when he got up and had tears in his eyes. The hit was legal and it was very agressive.

PPHSfan
10-08-2004, 09:01 AM
It's not an agressive hit unless you BOTH feel it.

BlueBlood
10-08-2004, 09:55 AM
I don't see any difference in the aggressiveness of players. I don't think the old players were more aggressive if that is what you are trying to say.

IHStangFan
10-08-2004, 09:59 AM
well....as the ole saying goes...."sh*t rolls down hill....you have the world as a whole getting more "PC" and society overall has become more.....whats the word??.....sensative..."you cant do that, you cant say that" etc. you have these people that think football is "brutal" and "barbaric" .....AGGRRRR...you get my point. tree hugging passivists annoy me.

big daddy russ
10-08-2004, 10:02 AM
Older players were smaller and slower but they were fearless. Someone talked about how passive our society's become, and I think it's spilled over into where it doesn't belong.

IHStangFan
10-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Older players were smaller and slower but they were fearless. Someone talked about how passive our society's become, and I think it's spilled over into where it doesn't belong. Rusty....are you inside my head again? :D

PPHSfan
10-08-2004, 10:03 AM
football IS brutal and barbaric.

That's why I love it.

Why do you think so many people turned out when they fed the Christians to the Lions?

cunbed10
10-08-2004, 10:07 AM
Yep! Leon sayz yes.

CS_WILDCATS
10-08-2004, 10:07 AM
The game was played with more passion and the will to win back in the day. Today it seems like players are less aggressive or just lack the killer instinct.

PPHSfan
10-08-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by CS_WILDCATS
The game was played with more passion and the will to win back in the day. Today it seems like players are less aggressive or just lack the killer instinct.

Well you are just going to the wrong games. There are still teams out there that play with passion. And there are still kids out there that would just as soon tear your head off as look at you when the helmets go on.

D Town Eagle
10-08-2004, 10:11 AM
i think the same as a few years ago but way less then the early 90's

big daddy russ
10-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Well you are just going to the wrong games. There are still teams out there that play with passion. And there are still kids out there that would just as soon tear your head off as look at you when the helmets go on.
True that. But they're definitely fewer and farther between.

CS_WILDCATS
10-08-2004, 10:17 AM
Well you are just going to the wrong games. There are still teams out there that play with passion. And there are still kids out there that would just as soon tear your head off as look at you when the helmets go on. Maybe so, but you can't say kids are tougher now than they were in the past. These were kids that would practice two a days in the middle of summer with very few water breaks. In fact, water was taken away as used if you didn't run a play well or perform to the coach's standards. I can remember a time when unless you couldn't walk you better get up if you were hurt and get off he field. You never tried to show the other team you were hurt. The list goes on and on but I feel the players overall were more passionate, tougher, and aggressive in the past.

BlitzemAll
10-08-2004, 01:45 PM
They are less aggressive.....some due to coaching....some coaches are more laid back, and some fear lawsuits....also it ssems nowadays there is a lot less hitting in practice because "we can't afford to lose a player in practice". Therefore, they never learn to hit, ar attack aggressively.

IHStangFan
10-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by BlitzemAll
They are less aggressive.....some due to coaching....some coaches are more laid back, and some fear lawsuits....also it ssems nowadays there is a lot less hitting in practice because "we can't afford to lose a player in practice". Therefore, they never learn to hit, ar attack aggressively. ive noticed that watching HS football in the last 10 yrs or so especially....the kids dont seem to really KNOW how to tackle.

PPHSfan
10-08-2004, 01:56 PM
Well let me say this. I played football over 20 years ago. I was also a Soldier in the US ARMY. And I have seen kids today that are every bit as tough as I ever was.

Another thing. When I played 20 years ago, the number of big physical genetic marvels were what was few and far between.

I wonder how tough we would have thought we were 20 years ago, if we had to line up across from 6' 3" 230 lb DT's......when we were in the 8th grade?

IHStangFan
10-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Well let me say this. I played football over 20 years ago. I was also a Soldier in the US ARMY. And I have seen kids today that are every bit as tough as I ever was.

Another thing. When I played 20 years ago, the number of big physical generic marvels were what was few and far between.

I wonder how tough we would have thought we were 20 years ago, if we had to line up across from 6' 3" 230 lb DT's......when we were in the 8th grade? true...lot more large kids than back in the day...but...we have a 6'5" 300lb-er, this year he holds his own...after much work w/ the coaches from what i understand...but LAST year....he might as well have not even been in the game.

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2004, 01:59 PM
I wonder how tough we would have thought we were 20 years ago, if we had to line up across from 6' 3" 230 lb DT's......when we were in the 8th grade?

So, Brady was the secret "trip" you made yesterday? That's exactly who my son lined up against last night. Okay, he wasn't 6'3", more like 5'10" or 11", but he was every bit 230.