PDA

View Full Version : A rediculous suggestion!

Phil C
10-07-2004, 09:19 AM
And I am sure it has been suggested before plus it would add to the expense but what about having an official in the press box by the clock operator watching the plays and if he says a wrong call i.e. a trapped ball called a completion he could let the referee know. We have the technology now and should use it. Of course the referee would have the ultimate decision. Well you get the general idea. This would be especially good for important games like district and playoffs. I am sure it is a rediculous suggestion though. :)

gobblerfan02
10-07-2004, 09:25 AM
no good.....most officials are old(not being biased), and we dont have the ability of replay like the pros, college doesn't even have it, and how is the referee supposed to be overruled by someone in the pressbox, further away from the field?...I know he may be able to get better angles on the calls, but I would still leave it up the zebras on the field!

cunbed10
10-07-2004, 09:25 AM
Leon is wit U on dat, I still think in 02 when the Marlin receiver, and the Bellville tied the ball up in the endzone, the ball goes to the offense, right? oh Yeah we missed U on the Leon's Morning show dis Morning.

Phil C
10-07-2004, 09:29 AM
I didn't mean for the official in the press box to overrule the officials. I meant all he would do was state his opinion to the referee who would make the final decision. Of course it was a rediculous suggestion.

PPHSfan
10-07-2004, 09:34 AM
If you want to put a ref in the pressbox, put him in charge of the clock.

That is the biggest problem in HS football.

Homers on the clock, and people who don't know the rules of the clock.

gobblerfan02
10-07-2004, 09:34 AM
sorry PhilC, i think that might be a good suggestion, but do ya think any referee will go w/ that kinda officiating?

PPHSfan
10-07-2004, 09:35 AM
:confused:

JasonTX
10-07-2004, 10:37 AM
It's just not possible with the amount of officials we currently have. Many officials retire each year and so few fans are joining our ranks. In the state of Texas as well as other states there are dwindling numbers of experienced officials. Out of all first year officials we get less than 25% back the next year. More and more games are being played on Thurdays and Saturdays to allow for their to be available officials. We barely have enough officials to work on the field much less puting one up in the press box. By the way the Big 10 does have a replay system. It is an experimental rule that is being used this year. Only the replay official can trigger a review and he makes the change.

Keith7
10-07-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by JasonTX
It's just not possible with the amount of officials we currently have. Many officials retire each year and so few fans are joining our ranks. In the state of Texas as well as other states there are dwindling numbers of experienced officials. Out of all first year officials we get less than 25% back the next year. More and more games are being played on Thurdays and Saturdays to allow for their to be available officials. We barely have enough officials to work on the field much less puting one up in the press box. By the way the Big 10 does have a replay system. It is an experimental rule that is being used this year. Only the replay official can trigger a review and he makes the change.

its prolly hard to get new officials when some chapters wont even give new ones a chance

JasonTX
10-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
its prolly hard to get new officials when some chapters wont even give new ones a chance

It all depends on what chapter you are in. This week and two weeks ago every single member had a varsity game including all the rookies. We had no choice because of the amount of games. There are some states that have the luxury of high numbers and an official may not work a varsity game until 5 years. Surely your not suggesting to put a rookie in a state championship game.

Titans
10-07-2004, 11:26 AM
Do they need clock operators and scorekeepers at girls soccer games? I mean, does anyone actually show up to watch anyway?

VWG
10-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
If you want to put a ref in the pressbox, put him in charge of the clock.

That is the biggest problem in HS football.

Homers on the clock, and people who don't know the rules of the clock.

Amen to that brother! You've got some guys who are setting up there in the box running the clock that couldn't tell you what time it is on their own watch, much less control the game clock.