PDA

View Full Version : Funny things people have asked you about you and your small town...

Gobbla2001
10-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Since most of us are from 'smaller' towns, have you been asked anything funny?

Back in Feb. my supervisor at work asked me:

"Which part of Cuero are you from?"

This was my supervisor, I hadn't been working there that long, I didn't know what to say without coming off as a smart-@#%... but it was a natural reaction I guess, I said:

"uh... the... Cuero part?"

Mandy
10-06-2004, 06:41 PM
haha how did he really ask the question? ;)

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2004, 06:41 PM
Not funny, but always asked, "Where exactly is Liberty Hill?". This has come from people who've lived their whole lives in Austin. I want to ask them if they've ever left the city limits.

Gobbla2001
10-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Mandy: He asked just like that, except he may have said 'which side', which means I said 'uh... the... Cuero side?'

LHPM - At Don Bravos in Cuero (Mexican Food) they used to have a hat for sale that had "Where in the hell is Cuero, TX" on it ha...

mwynn05
10-06-2004, 06:48 PM
it's either where's that or...oh thats where sams is...i was at the unc basketball camp and one of the guys there asked me where i was from in texas and i told him and he gave me the sams line

Gobbla2001
10-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Ha...

Y'all wanna know something really funny???

I just sent a private message to myself...

Upon returning to my inbox, I discovered that someone had sent me a message with the same subject I had used in the message I had just sent... But no, it was me...

I'm so slick!

PPHSfan
10-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Now the system is going to bod down while everyone tries to send themselves a private message.

I guess that's better than sending yourself a private massage.

c-town_balla
10-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Worst question whats a Yoemen? I'm tired of answering it

Flourhead
10-06-2004, 07:56 PM
dude i've always wondered this... what in the heck is a yoeman? i really dont think anyone knows.... and why is west oso the west bear bears?? (oso means bear in spanish for those of u who dont know)

neck_06
10-06-2004, 08:04 PM
i've never heard of a yoeman, or a school that had it as a mascot, so......what is it?

Keith7
10-06-2004, 08:06 PM
hmm i know its spelt different but perhaps its this

yeoˇman ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ymn)
n.

An attendant, servant, or lesser official in a royal or noble household.
A yeoman of the guard.
A petty officer performing chiefly clerical duties in the U.S. Navy.
An assistant or other subordinate, as of a sheriff.
A diligent, dependable worker.
A farmer who cultivates his own land, especially a member of a former class of small freeholders in England

lepfan
10-07-2004, 12:15 AM
I am in SMALLTOWN, USA...we were moving into our house recently, the trailer backed to the garage...while we are unloading furniture this couple drives by ... this lady rolls her window down and asks..."Are you all moving in?" I came so close to giving her one of those Bill Engval comebacks...but this town is really small and I did not want to risk coming across as a smart@$$ (and we all know I am not one of those;) )

AggieJohn
10-07-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Not funny, but always asked, "Where exactly is Liberty Hill?". This has come from people who've lived their whole lives in Austin. I want to ask them if they've ever left the city limits.

i hate when people ask me where i am from and i say liberty and they say "oh liberty hill yeah i've been there.......blah blah blah" before i ever get to say a word and correct them

District303aPastPlayer
10-07-2004, 02:28 AM
Sinton? Isnt that like right there by Mexico?

HAWKS
10-07-2004, 04:03 AM
WE ARE ALWAYS BEING ASKED IF ZAPATA IS IN MEXICO,AND THE OTHER DAY SOMEONE ASKED ME IF ZAPATA WAS A POKEMON NAME. GEE, I DON'T KNOW, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ZAPATA IS A POKEMON'S NAME?

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2004, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by HAWKS
WE ARE ALWAYS BEING ASKED IF ZAPATA IS IN MEXICO,AND THE OTHER DAY SOMEONE ASKED ME IF ZAPATA WAS A POKEMON NAME. GEE, I DON'T KNOW, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ZAPATA IS A POKEMON'S NAME?

I can ask my kids. It doesn't sound like one of the cards they used to fight over, though.

3afan
10-07-2004, 05:55 AM
I told someone I lived in Forney & he said "oh, is everybody horney?". he cracks himself up ...............

Ranger354
10-07-2004, 06:38 AM
It has always amazed me that people living in a larger town like Corpuse Christi get lost the moment they leave the city limits.

Sinton is the place to be!

"Do they really roll up the sidewalks at night"?

gobblerfan02
10-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Has anyone else from Cuero ever had to put up w/ someone always mispronouncing our town's name on purpose, I think we all know what they would say- "oh, the queero Gobblers!". Couldn't they think of something more original?

Most ppl in SA have never even heard of us, or the flood of '98!

jason
10-07-2004, 09:10 AM
i always get 'doesnt forney have a lot of cows?'

c-town_balla
10-07-2004, 05:52 PM
A Yeoman is a mythical Robin Hood type person. We spell it Yoemen because of the Yoe family who gave money to build our school. All complicated madness type stuff

BrahmaMom
10-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Since everyone on this board knows where Bellville and the Pasture of Pain are located, I will pass on my experience with repair and delivery folks coming from Houston. First, they all need explicit directions, which I gladly provide, down to the "at the Y in the road, bear to the right and you'll pass the lake..." Invariably, these guys that find their way all over the metropolis of Houston, cannot find me and I end up getting in my car to lead them back to the house! I can't tell you how many of them have NOT gone right at the Y in our area!! What is that about?? But even more of them can't seem to even handle the square!

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2004, 11:51 PM

Okay, I asked the youngest son. No, Zapata is not a Pokemon. However, there is one named Zapados.

Phantom Stang
10-08-2004, 08:45 AM
Sometimes when I tell folks in the metroplex I'm from Sweetwater they'll ask "Do they play 11-man football"

Keith7
10-08-2004, 07:15 PM

lol I wonder who asked you if it was a pokemon name :thinking:

nah I felt bad so i made a signature for you to make up for offending you

http://img48.exs.cx/img48/5273/pokemon1.gif

BullsFan
10-08-2004, 07:51 PM
When I'd tell people in college I was from Bridgeport, you wouldn't believe how many of them said, "Connecticut?" Yes, I and my Texas accent came all the way from Bridgeport, Connecticut, to go to UNT.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-08-2004, 08:00 PM
For people that know where Port Isabel is....."Do you eat fish and shrimp every day"?

For people that DON'T know where Port Isabel is...."Is that near Corpus Christi"? Then I ask them if they've ever been to South Padre Island, TX before, 9 out of 10 say yes. IF YOU'VE BEEN TO SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, TX YOU'VE BEEN TO PORT ISABEL, TX!!! GEEZ!!!!

TheDOCTORdre
10-08-2004, 09:06 PM
So, is the water really sweet in Sweetwater?

Keith7
10-09-2004, 02:30 AM
ttt

sahen
10-09-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by explayer2001
i hate when people ask me where i am from and i say liberty and they say "oh liberty hill yeah i've been there.......blah blah blah" before i ever get to say a word and correct them
i get more that think im talkin about liberty-elyua or however they spell that....i dont think anyone has asked me about liberty hill...

PhiI C
10-09-2004, 09:47 AM
I wonder if someone from Paris, Texas has ever been asked after they said they are from Paris "Are you from France?" or something like that. And what what about Moscow, Texas. I remember when the USSR and USA were bitter enemies the folks at Moscow, Texas signed and sent a petition to the USSR that they change their city's name so it wouldn't be the same as Moscow, Texas.

Birdman
10-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Bridge City??? Do y'all have any bridges there? Is that why they named it that? ..................... "Here's your sign!":D

big daddy russ
10-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Ranger354
It has always amazed me that people living in a larger town like Corpuse Christi get lost the moment they leave the city limits.

Sinton is the place to be!

"Do they really roll up the sidewalks at night"?
One of my best friend in college was from Corpus. When I first met her, she asked me if we still rode horses to drop off the mail. Yup, she was serious. And yup, here's your sign.

She also thought that Ingleside was something like an hour away from Corpus. One day, I called her and told her and a couple of friends of mine to drive down to the Surf Club (it's in downtown Corpus). She lived on the South Side and took off when I called her. I waited a few minutes, took off and still beat her to the Surf Club. She couldn't believe that I beat her there.

sinton66
10-09-2004, 10:34 AM
They don't teach geography in Corpus. Even their county officials don't know where the county lines are. I have gotten about four jury notices over the years to report for jury duty to the Nueces County courthouse. Funny thing is they are mailed to my home address in Odem (San Patricio County). I have no idea how they got my name on their roll. I've never lived in Nueces County.

HAWKS
10-09-2004, 05:20 PM
HEY KEITH, THANKS FOR THE SIGNATURE, I LIKE IT.

Phil C
10-09-2004, 07:07 PM
Hey Hawks I bet a lot of people think Zapata is named for Emilio Zapata the great revolutionary general in Mexico. Actually it was named for Robert Zapata who was a local rancher there. At least that is what I was told and please correct me if I have been misinformed.

big daddy russ
10-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
They don't teach geography in Corpus. Even their county officials don't know where the county lines are. I have gotten about four jury notices over the years to report for jury duty to the Nueces County courthouse. Funny thing is they are mailed to my home address in Odem (San Patricio County). I have no idea how they got my name on their roll. I've never lived in Nueces County.
Classic Corpus, 66. Gotta love 'em.:D