PDA

View Full Version : What seems to be the problem with the coaches in Hutto

fbmom
10-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Anyone care to comment?

52madmidget
10-06-2004, 02:52 PM
I don't know if you'll get anyone to comment without signing a privacy disclosure first. But since I like controversy, here goes.
The main ISSUE in Hutto is coach penland. Buchanan and Casey are ok in my book, as well as the rest of the defesive coaches. But penland seems to like to put all his trust in what he feels are a couple of his star players. That tends to backfire on him everyother game. Those star players get caught and stopped on the field, and Penland wears blinders and that is when he starts to get into trouble. Take the Rockdale game for example. Hutto's offensive line simply did not show up that night. Dont get me wrong, I am one of the biggest Hutto fans out there. But when you keep handing the ball to your star running back, after the 9th or 10th time in a row losing yards, you better switch plays, go to the outside, or start passing. It was obvious that night that Rockdale was focusing on #3, but yet penland kept running the same play, hoping that a 16 year old boy can help make his career look better somehow. The other issue alot of people have with this coach is he doesnt always take responsibilty for the teams downfalls. Many time have I heard him say, "Its YOUR fault, . . . " or "You guys didnt do this". To me when a team wins, the coach gets credit for calling the right plays, and putting the right people in the game. When the team loses, the coaches should be the first ones stepping up, and using sentences like "WE didnt do this " or WE lost" Dont point fingers. I think that alot of people forget that we are raising children here at the same time. Sure football is exciting, and I think all of us here on 3ADL are fanatics, but these are our children. Set examples, and they will follow. Point fingers, and they will never learn to be leaders. That and Coach Penland puts our boys in danger by playing again what he feels are his STAR players in every position possible. Take our QB. He plays offense, special teams, and when Penland gets his offense in a bind, out comes kerley on defense. Every player needs rest, and if this continues, one of these boys will get hurt. Sorry to make this so long, but this one strikes a nerve when my kid is on the field.

FbCoachB40
10-06-2004, 02:58 PM
52 MAD, go tell it to your Paw Paw. If he is such a bad coach, then go get your degree and certification and apply.

hutex04
10-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Pretty much, Coach Penland is a divider not a uniter. He gives special care to his stars, and treats the others less. Hutto has had lots of talent the last 4-5 yrs or so. Yet the best they could do is go 6-5 while having the best running back and punter in 2a that year. Not to mention some outstanding defensive players. If Hutto had a coach that would treat everyone equal than you would not see so many players leaving the team as in the past.

BIGGBROTHER
10-06-2004, 03:09 PM
nah mad you dont have to sign up 5 coaches have already put in resumes to the superintendant as well as a petition from the parents to the school board

everything you said is the truth
when you are the coach everything is your fault
lee is a great person just a bad coach

and as far as getting a degree and certification
thats true penland needs to go back and learn how to teach and coach other than that we will just have to vote him out and get some real talent to bad the people of hutto wouldnt stop nitpicking at Walker hutto would be seasoned playoff returners and possibly contenders for state

PPHSfan
10-06-2004, 03:09 PM
This is not that kind of thing that we usually talk about on this board. When talking about coaches and kids, we usually try to keep it to facts and friendly opinions. Yall might want to think about that before you go to much further.

52madmidget
10-06-2004, 03:17 PM
PPHS, I understand your concern. Thank you for keeping heads cool. But this is a forum for opinions. And that subject is exactly that. FBcoach more took a jab at me by stating I should go get my degree and certification (even though I already do). I simply stated facts. I didnt take jabs at anyone. I agree with bigg, Penland is a great guy off the field. On the field, he has some work to do. The question was asked, and I answered and I feel we have every right to discuss this on 3ADL. We're not using harsh language, or discriminating against anyone. So please, we're all adults, and until someone says something that falls under derogatory, or false, or foul. . . let us talk and discuss our opinions. So lets stay on subject, and not nit pick on who might get offended by stating our opinions. We're Texans, not yankees up north. Thanks!

GoDeep
10-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by 52madmidget
So please, we're all adults, and until someone says something that falls under derogatory, or false, or foul. . . let us talk and discuss our opinions. So lets stay on subject, and not nit pick on who might get offended by stating our opinions. We're Texans, not yankees up north. Thanks!

That works just fine around here...untill you say something a moderator doesnt agree with. Then it's off with your head; and after that happens, no one can question it, or it's off with their head too. Sad state of affairs this is. This once proud site that Matt and the old bunch worked hard to build, has now turned to this.

52madmidget
10-06-2004, 03:29 PM
Anyone else with opinions on Hutto? Besides the kids being the greatest!! (Our teachers are great too!!)

BIGGBROTHER
10-06-2004, 03:42 PM
facts and opinions so what your sayin is that we shouldnt have facts or opinions ? thats all we have been stating
i remember i stated a fact in your defense pphs about the holocaust while everyones opinion wasnt speaking highly of you

GO HIPPOS MIGHTY MIGHTY HIPPOS OOH AAH OOH AHH

ILS1
10-06-2004, 04:03 PM
I too totally agree w/ what has been said about Coach Penland. He's a really nice guy but he tries to stick to his guns and star players too much. He's gonna end up getting QB/RB/SS/KR/PR/K Jeremy Kerley hurt. He's on the field TOO much!! I think he just has 4 plays in his playbook. He makes NO offensive adjustments at all. When Rockdale was putting 8 & 9 men in the box,he kept running the same play over and over and over again. How about spreading the field out and throwing to your TE or WR's for a change? How about a counter play? He depends on Jeremy and Jerrick to get them out of a jam too much. I have no idea why they got rid of Coach Walker. I really liked him. Just think,his two sons that played and still play for Pflugerville HS. Grant Walker was an all-everything QB with speed. He's currently @ Purdue. This year his brother Todd is the same way,all-everything. He's committed to Georgia Tech. I would of loved to see them play for Hutto. His oldest son Kirk did play for Hutto and took them to the playoffs for the 1st time in about 30 years. Don't get wrong,I think Penland is an outstanding AD and person. But he should either give up the play calling or the offensive reins. He has talent there but it's being misused and in some cases not used. Sorry,it was so long. Good luck Hippos!!

Ranger Mom
10-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by GoDeep
That works just fine around here...untill you say something a moderator doesnt agree with. Then it's off with your head; and after that happens, no one can question it, or it's off with their head too. Sad state of affairs this is. This once proud site that Matt and the old bunch worked hard to build, has now turned to this.

If you have a problem with us, take it up with Matt and the Admin. (also part of the "old bunch") - the rules are theirs!

BIGGBROTHER
10-06-2004, 04:55 PM
is their a post of the rules? somewhere?
when posting that someone has broken a rule is it possible
to label which rule we broke?
ive seen alot of unmentionable topics statements and even threats which is why i would like specifics

i dont want to be part of the posters you just dont like
i want to be on your side on the good and rightous side
please dont shut me out

KTJ
10-06-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by 52madmidget
Anyone else with opinions on Hutto? Besides the kids being the greatest!! (Our teachers are great too!!)

Tell the basketball coach to stop getting mad when his team is losing by 40 points. It's not my fault. I just referee the game--I can't play it for you.

;) :D

Ranger Mom
10-06-2004, 05:14 PM
To answer your question Big Brother....I don't know!:p

As far as the rules go, I have never seen a "list". The no political post rule was put in when the political posts got out of hand. Even though Sinton66 was the one who posted about it, he wasn't the one who decided the rule was to be enforced....he was basically just the messanger.

I can't really think of a single poster that I don't like here...are there some that get on my nerves?? Sure there is. Is there some I like more than others?? Of course there is.

I have met quite a few people from this place, I talk to quite a few poster outside of the board. Some I talk to regularly on the phone. I know about their families, their jobs, their lives....they aren't just a name on a message board!

You shouldn't have to choose "sides" here, I know I darn sure don't.

I may not always agree with the reasoning of another moderator, and I am sure they don't always agree with me. We have decisions we have to make like receiving a "reported post" that the majority of the board found hilarious, and then having to make a decision on what action or no action to take....trying to edit posts before someone else sees it and gets offended, then trying to explain why you did it - especially when it wasn't offensive to you personally, etc....until you have been in our shoes, you have to remember, we are human and we make mistakes too, but I sincerely believe we are doing this job asked of us to the best of our abilities.

GreatBigBurnetFan
10-06-2004, 05:51 PM
For you folks that haven't been around for long and haven't taken or had the ability to get to know the the admins. THEY ARE GREAT FOLKS!! IF YOU FIND THIS PLACE SO REPULSIVE, DON"T COME HERE. THEN YOU WON"T GET YOUR ITTY BITTY FEELIN'S
HURT. SOME OF US NOT ONLY LIKE THE ADMINS, WE LIKE THE WAY THEY RUN THINGS!!:mad:

purplenails
10-06-2004, 06:04 PM
I saw this happen against l.h. that #1 kid was all over the feild. mid way thru the 4th quarter he was done.:confused: :

mwynn05
10-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I can't really think of a single poster that I don't like here...are there some that get on my nerves?? Sure there is. Is there some I like more than others?? Of course there is.

*cough* jason *cough* lol

Flourhead
10-06-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
*cough* jason *cough*

*cough* flourhead *cough*

Mandy
10-06-2004, 06:40 PM
oh those hutto coaches. WHAT can I say about coach schmit? :) :)

Gobbla2001
10-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

*cough* the poster of Michael Jackson with that little kid *cough*

Oh... wait, the OTHHHEEERRR kind of posters!

Mandy
10-06-2004, 06:49 PM
OH yah Gobbler...exactly what was that trucker's name? He was a real jerk...had the FREE MIKE stickers and the dog...yeah...anyways hopefully we're talking about the same person.

Gobbla2001
10-06-2004, 06:54 PM
:eek:

TheInfamousIt24
10-06-2004, 07:00 PM
How can some people come here and criticize coaches when they do not spend the time the coaches do, breaking down film, hours at practice, in the school building, and out there making split second decisions calling plays and defenses. It easy to criticize and critique after the fact something happens. Penland is at a 3A school and has to put his best players on the field to win. If you have an enough depth to put quality players on both sides of the ball you have a luxury in 3a football, but many schools usually only go one deep. For example if Kerley does not play secondary against Manor there could have been some big plays go Manor’s way. I am sure if you asked the players he plays both ways, they do not want to come out of the game. Also about play calling, a coach goes with what works. Hutto has a huge offensive line and Rockdale has a pretty salty defense. Putting the ball in the air doesn’t solve more problems. Someone much wiser and older told me three things could happen when throw the ball and two are bad. (Incomplete and interception) Case in point Liberty Hill and Manor. Manor threw two interceptions and lost by two touchdowns. If you look at the teams that Hutto has played and they will play, they have a tough schedule. District 19-3a is going to be a dogfight for every team and even sometimes Smithville can play up to their competition. So if you want to criticize coaches and moves they make look at what they have to deal with. Parents, administration, teachers, discipline problems, problems in class, budgets, kids missing practice, unmotivated and unfocused players, injuries, and the list of variables can go on for awhile. Teams have to get breaks to be successful in places where there is strong competition and if you want an example of that look at Rockdale winning on a two point conversion when their QB was stopped a yard short. I saw the tape. So you go on and cast stones from a far and be a person in the stands who complains, but Hutto has always been shown good sportsmanship and so have the coaches. And if you think high school football is all about winning you need to support a NFL team. High school football is about the kids, parents, teachers, school pride, coaches, and community that surround. It might be better to win, but the impact is what the players have experienced.

BIGGBROTHER
10-06-2004, 07:11 PM
exactly totally agree
when your the coach everything is your fault
unfortunatly pen doesnt cut it making decisions on the field as well as on the practice field that compromises the kids health
when you have 33 or more kids its time to use them coach them teach them to rely on one player and letting the team team know they are worthless without that one player is worthless
your right kids who want to be on the field should be
but this is a man who critisizes a kid for getting hurt
tells them that since this one player is out its going put alot of load on everyone else as if they could not win without him
the only reason this man is winning is the talent he was blessed with and thats the 30 or more that made the cut
4 plays in the playbook?
they dont have one
if he didnt have the talent their is he would not be here
he expects and doesnt teach
and as far as oh they have to do this they have to do that sniff sniff if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen

about passing your right their is alot going against a pass
but these kids can pass and catch
rockdale was well prepared because the hutto coach is predictable
run the ball rely on only 2 players
75 % of the "plays" are kerley look like your going to pass then run
but what ever hes gone by next year anyway or half the team will be

52madmidget
10-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Infamous,

From your reply, I take it you just skimmed over my posts. And yes, I am one of those folks who deal with parents, other teachers, administration, booster clubs, etc, etc, etc. I have played college sports, and I voiced my opinion from such. I didnt say I could do better. I just said what the general opinion is amongst players, parents, and a good chunk of the Hutto residents. My concern IS for the kids. I dont support High school football for the wins. I support it because it teaches our kids to be better, more rounded individuals, and to take pride in themselves. I just dont want our kids to get hurt in the process. And every situation is different. I take it you're not a Hippo, so until you have a kid on the team, and talk with coaches, players, parents daily, it is easy to say that dont critique coaches too harsh. I just dont want my tax dollars to attribute to getting my kid hurt. But I do appreciatte a different view!

sinton66
10-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Let me see if I can shed some light here. I understand your concerns and you may well be justified. I don't know the coach or the situation. What I don't understand is why you chose to bring this up on a statewide forum. Aren't these concerns better suited for presentation through the local booster club? Do you have some sort of ax to grind with this coach? Why is it necessary to chastize him in front of the entire state of Texas?

This is the approach we take on the 'low. We really don't want to see these men criticized like this, especially since they're not here to defend themselves. Would you say these things to his face? If so, why haven't you?

This isn't a warning or anything, I just want you to realize where you are and and urge you to use some judgement here.

BIGGBROTHER
10-06-2004, 08:01 PM
sinton the hutto people have sorry for so much about this topic
but if youd have been their a couple of times you would know
ive been through alot of great coaches from highschool to college and especially in semi pro and this guy real uh lets say the mayor from a nightmare before christmas anyways sorry game on

hutex04
10-06-2004, 09:41 PM
I agree with Sinton, and for that I appologize for any comments I have made. You learn from the wise :)

jason
10-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
*cough* jason *cough* lol no no no...dont drag me into this mess lol...

Mandy
10-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by BIGGBROTHER
sinton the hutto people have sorry for so much about this topic
but if youd have been their a couple of times you would know
ive been through alot of great coaches from highschool to college and especially in semi pro and this guy real uh lets say the mayor from a nightmare before christmas anyways sorry game on

game on! back in the street hockey wayne