PDA

View Full Version : #1 USC Vs. #7 Cal

Keith7
10-06-2004, 01:46 PM
I know there is a much bigger game in Texas, but this one is pretty big too, Cal was the only team to beat USC last season and has started strong and is now ranked No. 7 in the nation... do you think after the poor showing of USC against Stanford that Cal is really the better team after blowing out a good Oregon State team???

i have to go w/ Cal in this one.. Anybody who is #7 gets my vote

TheDOCTORdre
10-06-2004, 02:05 PM
I'm going with Cal in this one as well, because if that happens and when OU loses to TEXAS who do you think that'll put at #1 in the polls next week:D :D :D

Keith7
10-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I'm going with Cal in this one as well, because if that happens and when OU loses to TEXAS who do you think that'll put at #1 in the polls next week:D :D :D

Either Georgia or Miami prolly would.. but texas would be 3rd and Miami still has a tough road ahead of them

IHStangFan
10-06-2004, 02:09 PM
i'm gonna go w/ USC....but as stated above....Texas would probably only move up to #3.....IMO Georgia is the #1 team in the nation right now at this point. they are playing great ball.

PPHSfan
10-06-2004, 02:18 PM
I am going to have to agree with my buddy Keith on this one. He had better not be wrong.:eek:

PPHSfan
10-06-2004, 02:20 PM
If Texas moves up to number 3 after beating OU and a USC loss, I think that would be fair. Texas will have plenty of time to move up one more spot and get to play for the MNC.

PPHSfan
Texas vs Georgia in the MNC would be one for the ages.:D

Keith7
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I am going to have to agree with my buddy Keith on this one. He had better not be wrong.:eek:

i wont be, go up to thackerville and put money on it.. this is the week USC falls

Junkyard
10-06-2004, 02:21 PM
I say Cal.

PPHSfan
10-06-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
i wont be, go up to thackerville and put money on it.. this is the week USC falls

Hey!! Don't be telling everyone where the bookie is. :D

JasperDog94
10-06-2004, 02:44 PM
Wow. USC is gettin' no love on the downlow.

KTJ
10-06-2004, 04:54 PM
I didn't pick USC either. They should have lost to VT.

And yeah, if we beat Blow-U, then we'd move up to 3; and if I was a pollster, I'd put Georgia at #1.

BIGGBROTHER
10-06-2004, 04:57 PM
usc tough cal tougher

Flourhead
10-06-2004, 04:58 PM
usc will win this game.... they've been ranked #1 all year for a reason... all the voters have looked past the close ones and have seen the team they really are... as far as im concerned they shut down a high powered stanford offense in the second half... just a little bit of trouble early on and giving up a touchdown the last play of the first half because they forgot they have to tackle the guy with the ball... this team has what it takes to play at 100% for 60 minutes... reggie bush is the mvp of this game... give him the dang ball!

AggieJohn
10-06-2004, 05:17 PM
i would like to ask someone in another state which game is more important.......USC vs. Cal or OU vs. Texas......

my vote is texas vs. OU

#2 OU + #5 Texas = 2 + 5= 7
#1 USC + #7 Cal = 1+7= 8

7>8 which makes the ou/texas game more important

Keith7
10-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by explayer2001
i would like to ask someone in another state which game is more important.......USC vs. Cal or OU vs. Texas......

my vote is texas vs. OU

#1 USC + #7 Cal = 1+7= 8

i am in California and my first line when i started this thread was

I know there is a much bigger game in Texas, but this one is pretty big too

these are both big games to all 4 ball clubs.. I just wish they were on seperate weeks!

Flourhead
10-06-2004, 05:23 PM

my vote is texas vs. OU

#1 USC + #7 Cal = 1+7= 8

actually 7<8...

Keith7
10-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Flourhead
actually 7<8...

good point.. you are alot smarter then i thought

Flourhead
10-06-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
i'm gonna go w/ USC....but as stated above....Texas would probably only move up to #3.....IMO Georgia is the #1 team in the nation right now at this point. they are playing great ball.

georgia played great ball for one game against a team that should have lost to oregon state... georgia is a great team but they arent the #1 team yet... by the end of the year they will be

AggieJohn
10-06-2004, 05:26 PM
not when your talking about what teams are better...
i'd rather see a no 1 play a no 2 than a no23 play a no 24

Flourhead
10-06-2004, 05:26 PM
good point.. you are alot smarter then i thought

would you think i was lying if i told you i was ranked second in my class out of 150?

Keith7
10-06-2004, 05:28 PM
not when your talking about what teams are better...
i'd rather see a no 1 play a no 2 than a no23 play a no 24

what if Number 1 was Central Florida and Number 2 was Northern Illinios, and Number 23 was Texas and number 24 was Texas A&M.. which one would you rather see???

Keith7
10-06-2004, 05:29 PM
would you think i was lying if i told you i was ranked second in my class out of 150? :thinking: sorry but yes

flourface
10-06-2004, 06:07 PM
he really is

Flourhead
10-06-2004, 06:11 PM
flourface-- do u think usc will beat cal?

flourface
10-06-2004, 06:12 PM
yeah, cal's not gonna be able to contain Mike Williams....lol jk, but yeah, i think usc's gonna win

usc 28 cal 14

Flourhead
10-06-2004, 06:14 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/usc/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/a-bush102503.jpg
theres your heisman winner either next year or the year after

flourface
10-06-2004, 06:15 PM
u sure about that?

Flourhead
10-06-2004, 06:20 PM
herbstreit said he was the best player in the nation... he doesnt really get overshadowed but the other awesome rbs take away playing time from him... should they be heisman hopefuls too? nope just reggie... he's better than everyone but cedric benson

bigpimpin
10-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Georgia is lucky to be where they're at. Going into the LSU game the talk was that if Georgia didn't get some offense, they're screwed, and they found some against LSU, but for how long? My Heisman winner now is Orton of Purdue 17 TD 0 int's, the only bad thing is Tiller waited until this year to open up that offense. Leinart is #2. Bush is a good rb, but he's better catching the ball in the open field and showing off his speed. Leinart is USC's offense, but if they win this game it'll be with defense. Cal's offense looks unstoppable, but USC has one of the most talented D's in football and they can stop them. The biggest stat from both these games is rushing game. All 4 teams have a good running game, but Cal and UT do it with one guy(J.J. Arrington & Cedric) while USC and OU split carries with their backs. I guess we'll see which works better.

USC-41 Cal-27
OU-38 UT-31

Keith7
10-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Cal had 7 different guys run the ball last week and USC had only 4
UT had 6 different guys run the ball last week and OU only had 3

so to say "Cal and UT do it with one guy" is not really true..

and the thing about Cal is that you mention they have a good running game, but they also have a great passing game, which will help put them over the top once again this year

Cal- 38
USC- 31

Texas is thin at the running back position, but prehaps their most explosive running threat isnt even playing running back, but QB..
Vince Young can make up for not having a great back up running back and will be the key to help Texas over the top this year..

Texas- 24
OU- 14

Flourhead
10-06-2004, 08:06 PM
thats a good point about texas.... young hasnt done a whole lot this year because he hasnt needed to... everyone else running the ball has been scoring...and who cares if texas doesnt have a star receiver... they have two star te's that are more valuable than one roy williams... im sure vince hasnt been going crazy running yet cuz he's keeping himself from getting hurt until this game... he wants to be the qb to take down oklahoma and prove to ole chance mock that he starts for a reason

bigpimpin
10-06-2004, 10:46 PM
What I said about the RB's, I didn't mean how many different guys carry the ball, I meant UT and Cal have feature backs, while OU and USC split carries between 2. Check that. Arrington has 466 and the next guy, has 160 while White has 355 and Bush has 350 and as a team USC has 800...that's 700 from 2 guys while Cal gets most of theirs from one guy. Benson has 750 and the next leading rusher is Vince. OU's peterson has 550 and Kejuan Jones has 230, but he hasn't played in the last one or 2 games. And 4 star TE's will not be as good as Roy Williams. And UT has a chance if Young runs, but he OU has such a fast defense, especially their right DE. If Vince stays right, he'll be alright. And one more thing, why would UT have such a weak schedule and then play OU? Why not schedule some tough teams to get them ready, or were their first 4 games like preseason, and now they start playing? I hope UT wins because it would be a shame if they only team to beat OU this year is A&M:D

Keith7
10-06-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by bigpimpin
What I said about the RB's, I didn't mean how many different guys carry the ball, I meant UT and Cal have feature backs, while OU and USC split carries between 2. Check that. Arrington has 466 and the next guy, has 160 while White has 355 and Bush has 350 and as a team USC has 800...that's 700 from 2 guys while Cal gets most of theirs from one guy. Benson has 750 and the next leading rusher is Vince. OU's peterson has 550 and Kejuan Jones has 230, but he hasn't played in the last one or 2 games. And 4 star TE's will not be as good as Roy Williams. And UT has a chance if Young runs, but he OU has such a fast defense, especially their right DE. If Vince stays right, he'll be alright. And one more thing, why would UT have such a weak schedule and then play OU? Why not schedule some tough teams to get them ready, or were their first 4 games like preseason, and now they start playing? I hope UT wins because it would be a shame if they only team to beat OU this year is A&M:D

thats all good and great but tell me what OU and USC's 2nd running back did in their last games??? and that will tell you have important they really are to them...

Cal can run and pass, and that has already been proven so who needs another back when they can just throw on you???

bigpimpin
10-06-2004, 11:59 PM
OU's Jones was hurt, but he started the season as the #1 back and Peterson would come in, but they're both so good, they split carries. Jones is consistent, good for 4 yards just about every play, and Peterson is a threat to break one, mostly because their offensive line returns 4 starters, which is almost unheard of for a team that went to the NC last year. And OU can pass, White didn't win the Heisman last year by handing the ball off, and USC might have the best QB in the nation(behind Orton) and had 40 TD's last year....AS A SOPHOMORE. And I wasn't saying that 2 RB's are better than one or anything, I was just saying that the running gameplans are a little different. For all I know USC may give only Bush the ball 30 times and noone else. But everyone talks about Cal's offense, will they even be able to get a pass rush. Same with UT, I mean with OU's line, I don't think UT's pass rush will even see White the whole game...interesting to see how they handle that...I think Cal is overrated and if it weren't for Ivan, this game wouldn't be that big of a deal because they would already have a loss to Southern Miss Golden Eagles...TAMU and South Carolina in the NC:thinking:

Keith7
10-07-2004, 12:29 AM
you've made very good points and i've already said all i could about both games... i guess we should both go and buy some crow because 1 of us is gonna be eating it for dinner saturday

AggieJohn
10-07-2004, 12:30 AM
what if Number 1 was Central Florida and Number 2 was Northern Illinios, and Number 23 was Texas and number 24 was Texas A&M.. which one would you rather see???

then that would be out of reality

Keith7
10-07-2004, 12:31 AM
then that would be out of reality

well just because 1 game might be more important to you, doesnt mean the another isnt just as important, if not more, to others

AggieJohn
10-07-2004, 12:32 AM
thats a good point about texas.... young hasnt done a whole lot this year because he hasnt needed to... everyone else running the ball has been scoring...and who cares if texas doesnt have a star receiver... they have two star te's that are more valuable than one roy williams... im sure vince hasnt been going crazy running yet cuz he's keeping himself from getting hurt until this game... he wants to be the qb to take down oklahoma and prove to ole chance mock that he starts for a reason

yall also forget the prime fact that the only quality opponent they have played is arkansas..the rest of the teams they have played are wash outs...horrible teams....and they almost lost to arkansas too...

AggieJohn
10-07-2004, 12:32 AM
well just because 1 game might be more important to you, doesnt mean the another isnt just as important, if not more, to others
but the world revovles around me keith....

Keith7
10-07-2004, 12:35 AM
yall also forget the prime fact that the only quality opponent they have played is arkansas..the rest of the teams they have played are wash outs...horrible teams....and they almost lost to arkansas too...

and who has Oklahoma played?? Bowling Green?? Houston?? :thinking:

not exactly your top 10 team

Keith7
10-07-2004, 12:36 AM
but the world revovles around me keith....

no it doesnt.. my mom told me it revolves around me

AggieJohn
10-07-2004, 12:41 AM
oh...okay...well someone needs to pass that on to Jason