PDA

View Full Version : Ncaa BCS/Playoffs

tmac
10-06-2004, 11:20 AM
which would u prefer and why and how would u run it.

Phil C
10-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Take top 16 teams and have playoffs till you get a national champion like other division college teams do. But BCS won't do it. They live in the past.

IHStangFan
10-06-2004, 11:42 AM
i'd love to see some sorta playoff scheme.

KTJ
10-06-2004, 12:41 PM
If the BCS was used to find the top [insert number here] teams for a playoff, I'd be happy.

big daddy russ
10-06-2004, 12:45 PM
Anybody will tell you that the college game needs a playoff... and one game just doesn't cut it. 16 teams would suffice. Take the champs from each of the 11 conferences and tack on an extra 5 at-large. Simple enough, huh? The five at-large could be chosen from independents (Notre Dame or Navy) or any of the teams out there whom an independent commission feels is worthy. It would still be controversial, but it'd be much more fun debating who should be ranked 16th than who should be ranked first.

IHStangFan
10-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Anybody will tell you that the college game needs a playoff... and one game just doesn't cut it. 16 teams would suffice. Take the champs from each of the 11 conferences and tack on an extra 5 at-large. Simple enough, huh? The five at-large could be chosen from independents (Notre Dame or Navy) or any of the teams out there whom an independent commission feels is worthy. It would still be controversial, but it'd be much more fun debating who should be ranked 16th than who should be ranked first. LOL Russ...i KNEW you'd be all over this thread like an Ethiopean on a picnic basket.....i remember we used to discuss this ALL the time when we'd watch games back in the day.

Phil C
10-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Big Daddy is right! Sure there would be controversy over maybe pick No. 16 but that is much better than controversy over Pick No. 2 and in some cases pick No. 1.

JasperDog94
10-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
If the BCS was used to find the top [insert number here] teams for a playoff, I'd be happy. They already do this. The problem is the number they insert is 2.;)

AggieJohn
10-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Anybody will tell you that the college game needs a playoff... and one game just doesn't cut it. 16 teams would suffice. Take the champs from each of the 11 conferences and tack on an extra 5 at-large. Simple enough, huh? The five at-large could be chosen from independents (Notre Dame or Navy) or any of the teams out there whom an independent commission feels is worthy. It would still be controversial, but it'd be much more fun debating who should be ranked 16th than who should be ranked first.

see the only problem with that is that you leave out texas or OU every year, those two teams should be consistently in the playoffs by their talent pool...
i say take the current rankings and take the top 16 teams based on rankings and have the no 1 play the no 16, the no 2 play the no 15 and so on and so on....it's a whole lot less controversial that way

CHSBaseball07
10-06-2004, 05:25 PM
BCS System SUCKS!........every year there is a team.....that could win it all......but doesnt get the chance......16 teams...1 good playoff system.......= 1 REAL National Champion

sahen
10-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by explayer2001
see the only problem with that is that you leave out texas or OU every year, those two teams should be consistently in the playoffs by their talent pool...
i say take the current rankings and take the top 16 teams based on rankings and have the no 1 play the no 16, the no 2 play the no 15 and so on and so on....it's a whole lot less controversial that way

the 5 at large would include teh other teams in the Big 12 that deserves it or ACC or Pac 10 or Big 10 or SEC....

but it doesnt matter...the college presidents wont do it and so wont the NCAA adminstrators....there is too much money in the bowls.....its all about the mula....

JasperDog94
10-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by explayer2001
i say take the current rankings and take the top 16 teams based on rankings and have the no 1 play the no 16, the no 2 play the no 15 and so on and so on....it's a whole lot less controversial that way :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Phil C
10-07-2004, 11:46 AM
Afther the top 16 teams chosen there would still be enough good teams for the bowls to get good games so they could go on also. For example if Ohio State and Alabama were not in the top 16 a bowl could pick them and probably have a good game.

GreenMonster
10-07-2004, 12:16 PM
You guys all have a point but, the real hang-up on the playoff system is (cha ching) $$$$. Figure out a way to increase the amount of money over what the current system is paying and the NCAA will dance at your next wedding. 16 team playoff ruins the cash flow that the poulan weedeater bowl and the dear lord you stink but we wanted the prestige of hosting a bowl game bowl generates for all the weak sisters out there in college football. Bowl money gets sent to the conference and the conference divies it up amongst all the teams of the conference. In the NCAA's eyes the bowl system is a great system for supporting all of college football. To them the money is more important than finding a true national champion.

Phil C
10-07-2004, 02:19 PM
You got that right Green.