23 Canyon 84
24 Liberty Eylau 86
25 Port Isabel 87

Underwater Basketweaver
10-06-2004, 08:25 AM
practice squad rules. all-americans drool

Over-rated2004
10-06-2004, 09:12 AM
Not sure how you came up with these rankings but keep telling yourself that they are correct!

Junkyard
10-06-2004, 09:13 AM
Looks good UB!! Keep up the good work!1:clap: :clap: :clap:

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Over-rated2004
Not sure how you came up with these rankings but keep telling yourself that they are correct!

He did not come up with them. He used rankings from 4 or 5 different sources and the results are the averages of those.

JasperDog94
10-06-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
He did not come up with them. He used rankings from 4 or 5 different sources and the results are the averages of those. Why do we have to keep explaining this?:rolleyes:

PPHSfan
10-06-2004, 09:36 AM
UB

I don't want to sound critical, but I have found a flaw in your system that you may want to consider.

I have noticed that you take your 4 or 5 polls and award your teams points accordingly and then post them in order.

The problem comes in the way that you are awarding the points. You only give one point for a first, and 25 for a 25th and then you list like a golf score with the fewest points first.

This works fine for the top teams, but what about a team that only shows up on ONE of your lists at say 22. And then another team shows up on THREE lists at 19? The team ranked 22nd on ONE list would be much higher than the team ranked 19 on three lists.

A solution would be to invert your system and give 25 points for a first place and only 1 point for a 25th place. Or something to that effect. Then your poll would be fair to the teams that are not ranked in the top ten.

Whew, I hope I explained that without too many unnecessary words.

JasperDog94
10-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Good call PPHSfan.:clap: :clap:

kepdawg
10-06-2004, 09:47 AM
PPHS he's already taken care of it with a different approach. Look at the second paragraph.

"I know that some may be getting tired of looking at and arguing about polls, but after reading a lot of stuff about them my interest got peaked. I decided to come up with one. I didn't want to do it based on my own opinion though, because I didn't want to be a homer or rank mostly teams out of our region. So I tried to come up with something more objective. I took the rankings from 4 polls and combined them into one. In case you are interested, this is how I calculated it.

I determined that to make the poll you must be in at least 2 of the polls I looked at (I started out with 3, but there wasn't enough teams that made 3 of 4). I also determined that if a team didn't make 1 or 2 polls, they automatically got a ranking of 26 for that poll. Some teams got 26 for two polls. I added up the total value of all the rankings for the 4 polls. The team with the lowest total got 1, then 2, etc...

If I do this anymore I plan to add a fifth poll, that is if datapoll is ever up and running again. The polls I used are: 3A downlow (posted by Matthew328), AP poll, TX HS FB poll, and The Harris Poll. Okay here goes. Remember this is not opinion based, purely objective. Oh yeah, also there are more than 25 because the bottom was so close I didn't want to exclude those few teams."

PPHSfan
10-06-2004, 09:51 AM
Well great.

I just wasted five minutes of my life.:doh:

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Why do we have to keep explaining this?:rolleyes:

'Coz Over-rated2004 just joined last week & hasn't gone back over the weeks to see what's gone on up until now, maybe?

Underwater Basketweaver
10-06-2004, 10:35 AM
Thank you Kepdawg, LHmom, and JasperDog for helping me out there. I would like to give a small update. I have changed a few minor details. I am no longer using the Texas HS Football poll in my rankings, because they are not very dependable about getting it up every week. I have started using the previous weeks ranking as one of the polls. I believe that this helps keep a team from being punished too unfairly for one loss, and vice versa getting too much reward for one win. My idea was that I felt that some teams were losing a lot of places for losing to a good team, and just because they lose to a good team doesn't mean that they are not good themselves. For eg, West Orange Stark is a good team and we all know that because we watch 3A football. Yes, they have two losses, but one was to Jasper and the other to Bay City which has been ranked the #1 4A team in some polls. Some polls look only at wins and losses, and would have dropped West Orange Stark out of the poll with 2 losses. Anyway, you get the point. I am using 4 polls right now, but it could someday go up to 5 if datapoll ever comes up again. It doesn't look as though it will.

Underwater Basketweaver
10-06-2004, 12:44 PM
ttt

Over-rated2004
10-07-2004, 09:03 AM
I'm not a big fan of this poll... leave it to the experts!:confused:

44INAROW
10-07-2004, 09:14 AM
I'm not a big fan of this poll... leave it to the experts!:confused:

lol once again, if you don't like...................... never mind it's useless:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Over-rated2004
10-07-2004, 09:44 AM
We all know that Cuero and Decatur are the 2 best teams in the 3A so why look at a "Composite" poll. Underwater you are most certainly OVER-RATED!:rolleyes:

Keith7
10-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Underwater Basketweaver
Thank you Kepdawg, LHmom, and JasperDog for helping me out there. I would like to give a small update. I have changed a few minor details. I am no longer using the Texas HS Football poll in my rankings, because they are not very dependable about getting it up every week. I have started using the previous weeks ranking as one of the polls. I believe that this helps keep a team from being punished too unfairly for one loss, and vice versa getting too much reward for one win. My idea was that I felt that some teams were losing a lot of places for losing to a good team, and just because they lose to a good team doesn't mean that they are not good themselves. For eg, West Orange Stark is a good team and we all know that because we watch 3A football. Yes, they have two losses, but one was to Jasper and the other to Bay City which has been ranked the #1 4A team in some polls. Some polls look only at wins and losses, and would have dropped West Orange Stark out of the poll with 2 losses. Anyway, you get the point. I am using 4 polls right now, but it could someday go up to 5 if datapoll ever comes up again. It doesn't look as though it will.

you should make a system that include the preseason polls to help out the teams with 3 losses! :D

DawgFan91
10-07-2004, 10:52 AM
We all know that Cuero and Decatur are the 2 best teams in the 3A so why look at a "Composite" poll. Underwater you are most certainly OVER-RATED!:rolleyes:

We do? I didn't know that. We all knew that Burnet was the best team in 3A last year at this time and that Oklahoma was one of the greatest teams in college football history. Right?

44INAROW
10-07-2004, 10:55 AM

hhmm Guess he has a crystal ball and knows if Cuero is D1 or D2 then??:nerd: :nerd:

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2004, 11:12 AM

Wow! Why is anyone playing their district games, then? I vote we scratch all district & playoff games and let Cuero & Decatur duke it out tomorrow night! :p

Over-rated2004
10-07-2004, 02:45 PM
No Im just saying that this Underwater Basket person is just making up some numbers and I'm not believing it!"Composite Polls" are OVER-RATED!

jason
10-07-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

without too many unnecessary words. you always have too many unnecessary words...:D :D

hehe you set yourself up for that one...:inlove: :inlove:

mustang04
10-07-2004, 02:48 PM
gosh dang those rookies

mustang04
10-07-2004, 02:52 PM
the point of his composite is to show thw accumalitive amount of points a team gets regarding to how many polls it shows up in/with its ranking in each poll, im telling u right now, no poll is EXACTLY TRUE when talking about best teams, its all stats

jason
10-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
im telling u right now, no poll is EXACTLY TRUE when talking about best teams, its all stats ladies and gentleman somebody finally came to a logical conclusion about polls...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gobblerfan02
10-07-2004, 02:56 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Glad he saw the lite!...or has he!
No poll is gonna be 100% accurate, its just for us followers of the game to have something to argue about!

mustang04
10-07-2004, 02:58 PM
no need for sarcasm, i knew that all along, but i was reminding a couple of rookie posters

LHMom
10-07-2004, 04:49 PM
When the last game of the season is over, the two teams in that game will be #1 & #2, that is the only true poll that counts!!!!!!!!!

jason
10-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by LHMom
When the last game of the season is over, the two teams in that game will be #1 & #2, that is the only true poll that counts!!!!!!!!! hehe, close but no cigar...which champ will be #1 and which will be #2

...and yes i know whichever is NOT #1 will be #2 hehe...

:D :D :D :D :D

mustang04
10-07-2004, 05:17 PM
i dont agree with the #2, i mean, the one who wins state, won state, but what if that team played a team say for region champs and beat them, but the team they played for renioanal champs is better than the one they play at state, the team that couldve been the second best in the state just had to play the best that early unfortunately...does that make any sense?