PDA

View Full Version : West Texas Coaches vs. East Texas

Balboa
10-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Does anybody think there is a difference between the way people coach in West TExas vs East. or could it just be the way kids respond

IHStangFan
10-05-2004, 04:04 PM
the common stereotype around THESE parts...at least the way it was always conveyed to me is:

West Tx = passing attack
East Tx = running attack

i could be totally wrong though.

lobo12
10-05-2004, 04:14 PM
it used to be west texas was nothing but smashmouth running but now going more to passing, and i know the first to run the spread was in east texas, i think maybe southlake carroll

Matthew328
10-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Southlake Carroll is NOT East Texas..they are DFW

Who knows who the first was to run the spread...I doubt it was SLC though

I can remember teams running the Old Run and Shoot back in the late 80's and early 90's......would that be considered the spread??

lobo12
10-05-2004, 05:42 PM
i guess that does count, sorry i guess they are east texas to me lol

GoDeep
10-05-2004, 05:43 PM
No, SLC was nowhere near the first team to run the spread. I believe the first team to successfully run the current form of the spread was Stephenvile. After that, I believe that Ennis was the one who really put the spread on the map after their turnaround after switching to it.
As far as coaching styles, West Texas tends to be more smashmouth football that is execution and discipline oriented. East Texas is all about speed and figuring out ways to use other teams' speed against them.

Matthew328
10-05-2004, 05:49 PM
East Texas is anything east of Terrell and Greenville....LOL

VWG
10-05-2004, 10:08 PM
I don't know if there are more teams in West Texas running "smashmouth" football. Canyon, Wylie, Decatur, Breckenridge... and several others in Region I will put the ball in the air. I think it has to do with the coaching staff. Some guys want to throw the ball and have a pass oriented offense, and some guys want to pound the ball with the running game.
I do think the most successful coaches you see around the state are the coaches that will put their offensive gameplan to their teams strong points. In my opinion.... and this is just an opinion, you've got to put in plays that you're kids can be successful with.
You can't expect an offensive line that averages 190lbs and running backs that are 5'7" and 150lbs to pound the ball for 4 qtrs. Utilize what you've got for maximum potential. If your best kid at the QB position can throw the ball on a frozen rope, and read defenses like a football Einstein, then why would you have him directing a power running game?

texasjeremy
10-05-2004, 10:44 PM
Yeah thats the common stereotype (there are always exceptions) that West Texas has the better skill players and East Texas has the tougher players.

GoDeep
10-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
Yeah thats the common stereotype (there are always exceptions) that West Texas has the better skill players and East Texas has the tougher players.

I think you've got that backwards. East Texas has always been known for having speed at the skill positions, while West Texas has been known for having tough, scrappy teams.
But, I thought this thread was about West Texas coaches(meaning coaches from West Texas). If we're talking about teams in general, then there's not much difference, b/c coaches come from all over.

Balboa
10-06-2004, 12:31 PM
I have played in the west and looked at the east ....the west texas game is more right at you...they have some skill players but all the kids are hard workers...east texas has lots of skill kids but they are not bright and would rather be playing basketball