PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Lions

Gsquared
10-05-2004, 06:03 AM
Man, what a let down so far. After seeing them against Atlanta last year and all the sophs and JR's returning, I thought they would show more. What happend? I know Atlanta pounded them but they kept it close for 3- 3 1/2 qtrs.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-05-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Man, what a let down so far. After seeing them against Atlanta last year and all the sophs and JR's returning, I thought they would show more. What happend? I know Atlanta pounded them but they kept it close for 3- 3 1/2 qtrs.

Offensive line problems. It's that simple as everything else is the same. Same QB, RB, WB, FB, ---same OT, and quick guard. Three new linemen and it all goes South. I guess that says a lot about the play of those three senior lineman from last year, who probably got no individual credit throughout the year.

Gsquared
10-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Very true, you can return all the skills in the world but without the buffet eaters, it dont fly. Something tells me the Lions will be ok come playoff time though.

PPHSfan
10-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Very true, you can return all the skills in the world but without the buffet eaters, it dont fly. Something tells me the Lions will be ok come playoff time though.

Yea,

But they will probably meet Pilot Point in round one.

tmac
10-05-2004, 10:24 AM
i dont think they will be okay in playoff time because if u have no line u have no game.that goes for offense and defense

tmac
10-05-2004, 10:26 AM
but im not sayin they wont make it just sayin that in the playoffs if u dont have good o and d line your screwed.

cunbed10
10-05-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Yea,

But they will probably meet Pilot Point in round one. Hey! PPHSfan did Celina move down to 2A, and if so do u think they will win state again, I watched Mart play Rosebud-LOtt lasT Friday, and they looked impressive, I mean in two quarter the score was 38 -12 Mart, game was called due to Weather inclement, and they have put 90-0 on a team a few weeks ago. I went to the Celina Mart state game several years ago, and Man let me tale YA, that was one of the most exciting games I had attended.

PPHSfan
10-05-2004, 10:29 AM
I think Celina and about 3 or 4 other teams have a real good chance at winning State in 2A this year. It will boil down to who catches the most breaks.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Vernon could not beat PP at this junction of the season. If Vernon makes the playoffs they will go as the #2 seed in DII. But they will have to beat Breckenridge and Hirschi. I don't think the Lions will beat either IP or Graham. May not beat Breck. Who knows though and they have a week off this week to heal all the injuries and go back to the fundamentals of blocking. Maybe this week off will help and they can be competitive in district. Some teams peak at different times and by no means have the Lions even started to peak. So they have a lot of room for improvement. In addition to the line, the passing game has got to improve. They can not throw the long ball so they need to work the short game. Don't even mess with the long stuff as the QB just doesn't have the arm. That will help their line as it is easier to pass block than run.

My 2 cents worth~

Gsquared
10-05-2004, 11:19 AM
2A Is wide open this year!

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Childress should be very competitive in 2A this year.

vet93
10-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Another thing that could be affecting Vernon is team chemistry. Sometimes a group of players just doesn't gel or gels late in the season. I have seen it time and time again where a bunch of kids that did great their soph and junior year underperform due to attitude, chemistry, lack of senior leadership etc....
I agree with PPHSfan that 2a is wide open this year. Out west Jim Ned appears to be the cream of the crop....Newton in the Southeast and Celina in the metroplex are good. Garrison is supposed to be good this year as well.

Gsquared
10-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Garrison could contend for sure!

VWG
10-05-2004, 05:46 PM
In 2A it looks like Jim Ned in Region I will be the contender.
Canadian, Holliday, Childress, and maybe Ballinger could make some noise come playoff time out of Region I.

GreenMonster
10-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Vernon has been a little banged up and can't get all of their starters on the field at the same time. In addition, they caught the fumble bug and can't seem to get over it.

PPHSfan
10-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Vernon has been a little banged up and can't get all of their starters on the field at the same time. In addition, they caught the fumble bug and can't seem to get over it.

That would be bad in round one of the playoffs against PP. Pilot Point holds a National Record for fumble recoveries in one season.

38 in 1992 :D

sirhc11
10-05-2004, 08:23 PM
I think Vernon should be alright come playoff time. I think they should beat Vernon as Vernon beat us 24-20 and Breckenridge only beat us 13-12. Although, we didn't play a good game against Breckenridge. I think we had something like 6 turnovers, and one was on the 1 yard line.

J-Kwon
10-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Vernon has the talent to be real good. They may not be playing as well as last year but from what i hear, they have played some dang good teams. In fact, i think they can beat graham and i know they can beat breck.

Gsquared
10-06-2004, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by VWG
In 2A it looks like Jim Ned in Region I will be the contender.
Canadian, Holliday, Childress, and maybe Ballinger could make some noise come playoff time out of Region I.
I want to see Ballinger go deep in the playoffs. How are they looking this year?

vet93
10-06-2004, 08:44 AM
G2....Ballinger has played hard this year but have had a rough time playing Clyde, Merkel, Brady and Greenwood in predistrict. All of these teams were quality 3a squads. Their only 2a opponent (Hawley), they beat 54-6 (48-0 at halftime). I think that they will make the playoffs this year and could possibly go a round or two deep. The prospects look good for the forseeable future with very strong freshman, sophomore and junior classes. This week is a key game. They play a good Early team who has also dropped down from 3a. Early will challenge for a playoff spot. Jim Ned is still the class of the district at this time and should challenge for a state championship if they stay focused.

I want to see Ballinger go deep in the playoffs. How are they looking this year?

Gsquared
10-06-2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks Vet!

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
That would be bad in round one of the playoffs against PP. Pilot Point holds a National Record for fumble recoveries in one season.

38 in 1992 :D

I hope Vernon can pull it together. They have a bye this week (just at the right time...I heard from my daughter who is a student trainer, that 12 varsity players are hurt right now) so I think VernonLions#1 and I are going to make a road trip to see another team play.

Also, I have enjoyed all the opinions of the West Texas posters, especially the ones from Clyde. I'm glad to see them on here supporting their team and really all of West Texas.

With so many good teams this year it is always interesting to see how things come out late Friday night.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Ballinger should be peaking at the right time too with all those young players. I do miss the Vet's "West Texas Scattershooting" this year.
I may have to pick up the slack.

Gsquared
10-06-2004, 11:07 AM
Zmotion, is Antonio Posey playing anywhere?

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-06-2004, 11:32 AM
He is on the roster at Angelo State. Maybe he can start to contribute next year. Looks like he was red shirted this year.

From the ASU website:

49 Antonio Posey CB 5-10 205 Fr.-RS Ballenger

Gsquared
10-06-2004, 12:27 PM
Wow, he wasnt playing at 205 last year when I saw him against Bangs was he?