PDA

View Full Version : Presidio drops football

Matthew328
03-05-2003, 12:03 PM
Presidio who is in District 4-3A has decided to scrap its football program all together due to lack of intrest...it will save the district approximatley 100,000 dollars

Ranger Mom
03-05-2003, 12:29 PM
Wow, so that just leaves Greenwood, Monahans, Pecos Ft. Stockton and Kermit in that district. That is also going to leave Greenwood with just 3 home games this year. Our first home game we play at the sports complex, our second one is against Shallowater and then we will play away until we play Kermit in district play. I am wondering when they plan on doing homecoming and parents night??

Jacket2000
03-05-2003, 12:59 PM
Matthew328:
Presidio who is in District 4-3A has decided to scrap its football program all together due to lack of intrest...it will save the district approximatley 100,000 dollarsIs anyone actually suprised at this?
Guess this ends my fantasy of a Presidio/Venus/Godley/Carter-Riverside regional semifinal, eh Matt?
J2K

Matthew328
03-05-2003, 01:35 PM
Yeah you could see this one coming...good luck to the teams in 4-3A trying to find make up games..

TarponFanInNorthTexas
03-05-2003, 02:15 PM
Why was there such a lack of interest for football in Presidio? What ARE they interested in anyway?

Ranger Mom
03-05-2003, 02:48 PM
From what I heard from a friend of mine, a lot of those kids are bussed in from over the border and are bussed back immediately after school, which makes it hard for many of them to participate in any extra-curricular activities.

Ranger Mom
03-05-2003, 02:51 PM
Matthew328:
Yeah you could see this one coming...good luck to the teams in 4-3A trying to find make up games..Do you think we will play make-up games?? We didn't this past year - it was just a forfeit and a Friday off for each one of us in that district.
Won't UIL do there realignment after this year?? If so, I wonder what will happen to 4-3A?? Will they add someone else to it??

kaorder1999
03-05-2003, 03:04 PM
our 7th grade "a" team in Sulphur Springs is looking for a game next year...maybe we could help them fill an empty spot on their schedule! We shouldn't be much different than Presidio! LOL!

<small>[ March 05, 2003, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: kaorder1999 ]</small>

Bandera YaYa
03-05-2003, 03:16 PM
RangerMom....What do you mean, "across the border?" Mexico? They don't live in Texas, but they go to school here??????? You can do that??????

Ranger Mom
03-05-2003, 03:29 PM
That is what I heard!! I can't remember what all he said about it, I will have to ask my husband. If it's the truth, I don't see how they get away with it...but I know there is more to that story, I just can't remember what it is!!

sinton66
03-05-2003, 06:55 PM
I know that if they live on this side of the border, whether they are here legally or not, Texas has no choice but to educate them, thanks to William Wayne Justice's court decision. If they claim they live on this side, the school district would be powerless to prove otherwise. The court decision said that the school couldn't even contact INS for verification purposes. This is a very sore subject with me.

Wtx_coach
03-05-2003, 07:25 PM
sinton66:
I know that if they live on this side of the border, whether they are here legally or not, Texas has no choice but to educate them, thanks to William Wayne Justice's court decision. If they claim they live on this side, the school district would be powerless to prove otherwise. The court decision said that the school couldn't even contact INS for verification purposes. This is a very sore subject with me.Your exactly right Sinton , and let me tell you boy them ight be able to play no football, but they sure are getting some damm good recruits for basketball and baseball and they are all listed as sophmopres playing varsity. This year in basketball it was funny cause in pre season they had 6 players by the end Presidio had 10 player and 2 sophmores over 6'4. ans in basbeall they have some talent, probaby ave the best centerfielder in texas as a sophmore, I think they will make the playoffs and grab the 3rd spot behind Pecos and Monahans

turbostud
03-05-2003, 08:32 PM
My wife is a elementary teacher here in the valley and we live about 10 miles from the border so I get all the first hand info from her. The sad part about the kids that come across is that some of them dont have any schooling at all and are thrown into what ever grade their age dictates when they do make it across. She teaches 4th grade and just had a kid put in her class who just migrated and has had no previous school. How is that kid supposed to pass? Whats worse is they blame the teachers when the kid does not do well. The kid will end up in Special Ed and automatically be passed on through the system. As far as bussing kids back and forth it does not happen here and I doubt it happens in Presidio. But then again Presidio is out in the middle of nowhere, and we all know how corrupt border towns can be, so maybe they can get away with it. In order for the kids to enroll they must have a address in the U. S. I am sure there are a million ways around it though.

Wtx_coach
03-05-2003, 09:38 PM
like a p.o box number at the post office, thats what i here they are doing, that is bad for athletics, they can actually recruit, in mexico basketball and baseball are big sports, kids 17 and 18 yrs of age turn pro in mexico