PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel vs Lyford

Kool Tarpon 21
10-03-2004, 08:28 PM
This game is going to decide the district championship. Who do you all think is going to win?

LH Panther Mom
10-03-2004, 08:54 PM
Well, I don't know much about Lyford, but if PI plays them like they have the potential to play, I'll take PI.

sinton66
10-03-2004, 08:55 PM
I'll take PI in this one. How ya doing Missle?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-03-2004, 11:42 PM
I'll take PI in this one.

Tarpons are incredibly tough to stop when it's a "payback" game.

footballgal
10-05-2004, 09:10 AM
PI Fightin' Tarpons by at least 10, a little payback is in order, ;) specifically for trying to run up the score last year.

pirate4state
10-05-2004, 09:33 AM
I'll take PI by 14! Good luck Tarps!! :cheerl:

District303aPastPlayer
10-05-2004, 09:36 AM
i'll be a second-homer, and say PI in this win!

Go Tarps!!!

footballgal
10-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Lyford Bulldogs
10/8/04

http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/kttenkaboodle3/images/crydog.gif

Thx Misael for the pix!

LHMom
10-05-2004, 08:59 PM
I'm for PI. I need y'all to win district if LH is going to get our sweet revenge in late November! :D

PI-fan
10-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by LHMom
I'm for PI. I need y'all to win district if LH is going to get our sweet revenge in late November! :D

:D

LHmom, how does the rest of your regular season look like? Anyone gonna be challenging LH for the district title?

LH Panther Mom
10-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Looks like she's gone for the night, so I hope it's okay if I answer. I know a lot of people are picking us to win. Wimberley & Llano will probably be tough, possibly Brady. Actually, most of the teams in our district can do some surprising things during any given week.

I know Llano feels like they were robbed last year & will be trying for a little payback. Wimberley will be gunning for us, since we've beat them the last couple of years.

We're just taking it week to week - hopefully the boys aren't looking past Brady.

11TARPON
10-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Tarpons will win by 14 points if they play like they are capable of playing. I don't think that they will lose focus like they did at the beginning of the Hidalgo game. They were penalized for mental mistakes and weren't executing properly. However, this week we should have Johnny back and we will be able to see the difference his presence on the field makes, both his ability and leadership skills. This game will be telecast on the radio (KVNS and KBOR) , one AM and the other FM. You need to come early to the game as as not to miss any pregame activities. The Tarpon Athletic Club will began another tradition for our Tarpon team come this friday. TARPON TIME.

LHMom
10-06-2004, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Looks like she's gone for the night, so I hope it's okay if I answer. I know a lot of people are picking us to win. Wimberley & Llano will probably be tough, possibly Brady. Actually, most of the teams in our district can do some surprising things during any given week.

I know Llano feels like they were robbed last year & will be trying for a little payback. Wimberley will be gunning for us, since we've beat them the last couple of years.

We're just taking it week to week - hopefully the boys aren't looking past Brady.

Well said, LH Panther Mom.

footballgal
10-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Can you tell us what kind of pre-game activities? Does it have anything to do with the new inflatable helmet, which cost $6500, which I heard will be debuting the 1st home district game?? If it is, I for one am looking forward to seeing what it looks like.:)

footballgal
10-06-2004, 08:42 AM
Lyford, PI set for shootout
By BUDDY GREEN

Call it Shootout No. 1.

Lyford travels south to take on the Port Isabel Tarpons on Friday in a match between last year’s co-champs.

The Bulldogs pulled a stunning upset over PI to earn that co-title.

This year both teams come in at 1-0 in district, a half-game behind 2-0 La Feria, which is idle.

Lyford depends on a strong running attack, led by Omar Cavazos and Aaron Infante (combined for 939 yards).

The Bulldogs lead the district in rushing (1,529) and overall yardage (1,820).

It figures to be a good challenge for the vaunted "Seawall Defense," currently ranked third in district with a bullet.

Tarpon quarterback Orlando Ochoa has been coming on strong of late. Ochoa leads the league in passing (365 yards, 51 percent completion rate) and is ninth in rushing (277), averaging 8.9 a carry. Ochoa has rushed for seven TDs and thrown for three more.

After losing their season-opener to 5A Los Fresnos in overtime, the Tarpons have been smoking. They won four straight, out-scoring opponents 168-47.

The team that reached the state semifinals last year appears to be hitting the district schedule in stride.

Mr. Optimism

One would think that after losing 42-10 to La Feria, Progreso coach Elvis Hernandez wouldn’t have many good things to say about the loss.

Don’t bet on it.

"One of my assistants who’s been here a long time told me that was the first time we scored against La Feria in five years, so we’re excited about that," said Hernandez. "We showed up to play, that’s the main thing. We had our opportunities, we just didn’t take advantage. We’re trying to get better every week."

Hernandez took over a program this year that had lost 17 straight games.

The Red Ants are 2-3.

Gettin’ ready for big boys

La Feria opened league play with wins over Hidalgo and Progreso. Now, after an off-week this week, the Lions face the tough part of their schedule, starting with Rio Hondo on Oct. 15.

"We’re coming around, little by little," said coach Art Valdez. "We’re getting to see a lot of kids play, that’s the good part."

Valdez said his depth is definitely a team strength.

"We’re still two-deep at every position," he said.

The Lions rank second in defense, allowing 188 yards per game. Defense was expected to be the club’s strong suit this year.

On offense, Manny Perez continues to be the district’s blue collar running back. Perez averages nearly 25 carries a game and leads the league with 658 yards (6.6 average).

"We’re getting a lot out of our tailback," said Valdez. "Our offensive line is playing well."

Bobcats showing some D

Rio Hondo has the defense to stay close in most games. Unfortunately, the Bobcat offense doesn’t have enough punch at times.

A perfect example was last Friday when the Bobcats lost to Raymondville 7-0. The Bearkats managed just 150 yards, but a Tommy Wolfe TD run late in the game was the difference.

Rio Hondo rushed for 163 yards but again had no passing attack (26 yards in the air).

A win in that game would have put the Bobcats at 2-0 and sent Raymondville reeling at 0-2. Instead, they’re both 1-1.

Buddy Green is sports editor for the Valley Morning Star. He can be reached at buddyg@valleystar.com or at 956-430-6284

http://www.valleystar.com/sports_more.php?id=55082_0_12_0_M

BlueCloud
10-06-2004, 12:46 PM
"After losing their season-opener to 5A Los Fresnos in overtime, the Tarpons have been smoking. They won four straight, out-scoring opponents 168-47". That's scary! If the Tarps come out focus with revenge on their mind they should win by 21!

11TARPON
10-06-2004, 01:23 PM
I agree with you BlueCloud, I was tempted to go with PI by 24 points, however, I know coach Monty and as has happened in the last games the 2nd and 3rd string defense has allowed most the points given up. I see the same thing happening this game.

footballgal
10-06-2004, 03:58 PM
I agree with both of you, as Coach Stump is allowing everyone to play, which is cool, that way they can get some playing time. With the exception of Los Fresnos all scores made on the Tarpon Defense, has been made on Tarpon's 2nd or 3rd defense. So, if in the event that it becomes a close game the "Seawall Defense" will be the difference. Boy, those Bulldogs are sure talking a lot on the local forum.

All I gotta say is GO BIG BLUE!!!!

Kool Tarpon 21
10-06-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I'll take PI in this one. How ya doing Missle?

I'm doing fine. Just been posting a lot on the local forum because people form Lyford have been talking a lot. They believe that the Bulldogs will be superior to the Tarpons. I don't think that is true, but they seem to think so. Anyways, I will be down tomorrow. I have some business to attend to and then get ready for the movie FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS and then actually experience FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS at TARPON STADIUM. Good Luck Tarpons. Let all the players know that all the Tarpon Fans are behind them 110%. Tell the players to keep their composure and just play tarpon football. Peace up, A-Town down.

GO TARPONS!!!

Bull Butter
10-06-2004, 08:45 PM
The station that will broadcast the game, KVNS-AM 1700 has a pretty strong nighttime signal and can be heard in a good part of Texas. I was in Houston a few weeks ago and picked up the station pretty easily at night.

footballgal
10-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
The station that will broadcast the game, KVNS-AM 1700 has a pretty strong nighttime signal and can be heard in a good part of Texas. I was in Houston a few weeks ago and picked up the station pretty easily at night.
Where is that station from, is it a regular AM station or a web radio type??

turbostud
10-06-2004, 10:19 PM
I am picking Port Isabel.

shankbear
10-06-2004, 10:23 PM
Just win TARPS!!!! From Southeast Texas I am pulling for yall this year. I love it there and even on the island.

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Kool Tarpon 21
I'm doing fine. Just been posting a lot on the local forum because people form Lyford have been talking a lot. They believe that the Bulldogs will be superior to the Tarpons. I don't think that is true, but they seem to think so. Anyways, I will be down tomorrow. I have some business to attend to and then get ready for the movie FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS and then actually experience FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS at TARPON STADIUM. Good Luck Tarpons. Let all the players know that all the Tarpon Fans are behind them 110%. Tell the players to keep their composure and just play tarpon football. Peace up, A-Town down.

GO TARPONS!!!

I see there's another goober posting a lot over there, talking up a lot of trash. If he has the courage to answer me, I'm trying to find out who it is. If this person is who he claims to be, I can only ask the good Valley folks to forgive this one person, because it is obvious there is some insanity there. Please understand that this one idiot should not be a reflection on our team.

footballgal
10-06-2004, 10:42 PM
I for one don't think he/she is from Liberty Hill, LH folks are too classy. But ya never know there are town idiots in every community, so need to apologize LH Panther Mom. But, I for one take no offense to this one person’s mad gibberish talk. But, one thing is, some people are allowing this person to get to them and he/she is accomplishing their goal, that of aggravating some PI fans.

LH Panther Mom
10-06-2004, 10:45 PM
I'm not so worried about him aggravating the fans; my concern is for the players of both teams. I would seriously hate it if one of the players got hurt. (If we meet up again in the playoffs, I must add.)

footballgal
10-06-2004, 11:33 PM
I'm not so worried about him aggravating the fans; my concern is for the players of both teams. I would seriously hate it if one of the players got hurt. (If we meet up again in the playoffs, I must add.)

Your right, I failed to mention that main point! I thought about it but as I was typing, I lost my train of thought and pooff! just like that it was gone :D ... I think it was another senior moment.

PI-fan
10-06-2004, 11:36 PM
hey gal i haven't seen you at rgvsports...:thinking:

PI 34 Lyford 13 ;)

footballgal
10-06-2004, 11:42 PM
You're too funny NFC; I know you got my PM:D

Ray_BearKat
10-07-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by PI-fan
hey gal i haven't seen you at rgvsports...:thinking:

PI 34 Lyford 13 ;)

Thats cold NFC...lol:D

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2004, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
I think it was another senior moment.

LOL I've had one or two of those. :D

Kool Tarpon 21
10-07-2004, 06:53 AM
Tomorrow the Tarpons will play the Bulldogs. Good luck Tarpons. You all can do all the talking on the field. Tell Coach Stumbaugh to forget about running up the score on this game. NO HOLD BARS. Don't let the dogs go. Just take it to them. Good luck. Peace up, A-Town down.

GO TARPONS!!!

LH Panther Mom
10-07-2004, 07:03 AM
Good luck to the Tarpons!

footballgal
10-07-2004, 08:49 AM
Now I know whom I can trust, thanks Ozzy! He (NFC) keeps dropping those hints here and there. I should have know telling 5 people was too many, should of kept it at 4. :D

footballgal
10-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Good luck to the Tarpons!
Thanks LH Panther Mom! We don't want to share the district crown this year with NOBODY :D, so a win this week is a step closer to that one goal.

BlueCloud
10-07-2004, 08:30 PM
Let the dogs drown in our sea. Build that SEAWALL high enough so they get zero air to breathe. Go get'm Tarps!

footballgal
10-07-2004, 10:58 PM
GO BIG BLUE! LET'S GET SOME BULLDOGS!

footballgal
10-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Kris Holland / The Brownsville Herald Star
http://www.valleystar.com/images/uploads/PILyfor1.jpg
Port Isabel quarterback Orlando Ochoa runs away from Lyford’s David Garcia during their game Friday night at Tarpon Stadium in Port Isabel.

By BUDDY GREEN
buddygreen@valleystar.com
956-430-6284

PORT ISABEL — Call it revenge or call it a strong wind.

Just don’t call it close.

Port Isabel overcame a rash of penalties and the loss of star running back Johnny Nieto to pound Lyford 37-0 Friday night in District 32-3A action.

PI (2-0 district, 5-1 overall) avenged a 39-20 loss to Lyford (1-1, 4-2) last year that cost the Tarpons the overall title, as they had to settle for a co-title with the Bulldogs.

The Tarpons were flagged 15 times for 125 yards and Nieto left after one carry for eight yards, after aggravating a calf injury.

Not a problem.

The Tarpons still unleashed a potent ground attack that chewed up 422 yards on 46 carries.

Quarterback Orlando Ochoa led the way with 105 yards on 11 carries and scored on runs of 16 and 6 yards. Ochoa completed 2-of-4 passes for 69 yards, including a 58-yard touchdown to Oscar Grisham.

The first-year Tarpon quarterback gets better and better as the year goes on.

"I was a little shaky at first," he said. "I’m making better reads and learning the position. I’m not totally comfortable yet, but I’m getting there."

Grisham rushed for 97 yards on 17 carries, Frankie Herrera had 88 yards on six carries and Mark Villarreal added 78 yards on just three attempts.

The Tarpons took advantage of the wind in the first quarter and virtually put the game away by taking a 21-0 lead.

PI’s defense held Lyford to three straight three-and-outs and answered each with a lightning-quick score, after short punts gave the Tarps great field position.

Ochoa started the barrage with his 15-yard run, then Herrera busted up the middle for 40 yards.

Ochoa then hooked up with Grisham on a third-and-19 play and with 3:05 still left in the first Lyford was in deep trouble.

"We know any time we come to PI the wind is going to be a factor," said Lyford coach Jaime Infante. "We definitely had our chances. We didn’t take advantage of our opportunities,"

When Lyford had the wind in the second period, wide receiver Noel Garcia had the defense beaten twice on deep routes, but quarterback Adrian Romo missed him both times.

Any chance for Lyford to get back in it ended there.

The only thing that kept PI from blowing the game open was PI.

"Way too many penalties," said PI coach Monty Stumbaugh. "We do some dumb things sometimes. If you want to get to where we want to go, you have to cut those things out."

Meanwhile, the "Seawall Defense" was just plain nasty.

"The whole defense came to play," said defensive back Mark Villarreal, who had two interceptions along with his rushing stats. "We knew what was coming at us. We had them figured out."

Said middle linebacker Herrera: "We wanted it more. We were trying not to think about last year, but deep down, you know it’s there. Everybody wanted a piece tonight."

The Tarpons shut down the usually potent running game of Omar Cavazos and Aaron Infante, holding the two to 23 yards.

Lyford had just seven first downs.

After going scoreless in the middle periods, the Tarps scored 16 points in the fourth to complete the romp.