PDA

View Full Version : Region IV Thoughts, Opinions, and Picks.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-10-2003, 10:24 AM
OK! Lets start from scratch. Oh, and Big Tarp, leave the PI gossip out of it, please. Thanks.

Kool Tarpon 21
06-10-2003, 08:48 PM
I've heard there's a lot of good teams in our region. I too would like to know what we're up against.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-10-2003, 08:55 PM
The FOR SURE teams that I know will do well this coming season are Burnet in Div. 1, Rice Consolidated and Port Isabel in Div. 2.

I'd need to see "The Bible" to get more information on the others.

Jacket2000
06-10-2003, 10:10 PM
This is subject to change, but my R4 picks are as follows:
Div 1-Burnet, but I wouldnt be suprised to see Gonzales knock'em off. I have a feeling about them.
Div 2-La Vernia or Yoakum. Both teams have come close, I think this may be the season for one of'em. They could be pushed by Rice, but history says they wont.
J2K

sinfan75
06-11-2003, 04:31 AM
Division I should be Burnet with Division II goin to Rice.Watch out for Cuero though.I got this feelin they gonna be makin their presence felt.

sinton66
06-11-2003, 07:04 AM
Good point, 75. Cuero's new coach definitely knows how to win. He sure had everybody's number when he was at Victoria. Corpus schools couldn't beat them.

Matthew328
06-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Div I Burnet...I don't think anyone is close..

Div II I like Rice....but this side of the bracket will be wide open

BigChamp05
06-11-2003, 07:36 PM
D1: Burnett
D2: I'd say Greenwood or Port Isabel. Rice will be there too. Jacket, not La Vernia or Yoakum. They lost some people, and they were a joke last year. Greenwood, Port I, and Rice played tough last year and have alot coming back.

sinton66
06-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Ummmm, BigChamp05, Greenwood is not in RegionIV, otherwise, I agree with your picks.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-11-2003, 08:18 PM
sinton66:
Ummmm, BigChamp05, Greenwood is not in RegionIV, otherwise, I agree with your picks.LOL!!! I was about to say the same thing, but I understand what BigChamp is saying when he talks about Greenwood. He's talking as far as the state title is concerned.

bd62
06-11-2003, 09:01 PM
big champ 05 thats insulting to call a team a joke that was 11-3 and that lost to a very good bandera team in quarter finals. think a little more when you make comments like that. these kids give it all they got and they are not a joke.

BigChamp05
06-12-2003, 10:18 AM
My bad about the Greenwood thing, i forgot about the post being for region IV. And last year, Yoakum, to me, was a joke. There was all this hype, and we pretty much did what we wanted to with you. And we didn't even have to pass to beat ya'll. Our running back, YAYA35's son, ran for something like 300 yards against ya'll. In a regional championship, to allow that...Thats a joke, i'm sorry. They played hard, and had a good season, but to me, they were a joke.

BigChamp05
06-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Sorry, i just had to get some trash talking in, its been awhile.

big daddy russ
06-12-2003, 10:37 AM
Big Champ, I think that if you guys had played on a different day, the outcome of that game might have been different. From what I heard, those Yoakum boys were a good bunch. Heck, just ask LaGrange. Yoakum spanked them and the Leopards were by no means a patsy. Besides, I refuse to accept that any playoff team out of District 27 isn't up to the task... especially not the district champs. BUT, on that note I don't know if Yoakum will even make the playoffs due to the strength of that district. To me it's a toss-up between Gonzales, Cuero, Yoakum and Luling right now, and even though they're not a traditional power Hallettsville has a whole lot of talent and a whole lot of speed and could suprise someone. Even Goliad is starting to turn things around. I used to believe that Districts 30 and 25 were the toughest in Region IV, top to bottom, but I think next year 27-3A will regain that title.

bd62
06-12-2003, 04:23 PM
you are so right big daddy about a even district next year.. yoakum has a small senior class with only 12 kids but will have at least 20 jrs. on varsity.they also have a strong sophmore bunch so they may be a year away. cuero also has a strong junior and sophmore class . luling had a young team last year so they have the most experience coming back. gonzales with there numbers will allways be tough. hallettsville and goliad will be better.hallettsville has a good shot at the playoffs.

Bandera YaYa
06-14-2003, 11:31 PM
Yep, I have to agree with BigChamp....they had us scared before the game, but turned out to be an easy win. Maybe they just had a bad day...it happens, for sure!

BigChamp05
06-15-2003, 12:05 PM
I think what happened last year for yoakum was maybe a coaching error. They were double and triple teaming our recieves, while our running back scraped up about 350. Even with a good group of kids, you have to have descent coaching.

BigChamp05
06-15-2003, 12:06 PM
But still, not insulting people, Yoakum wasn't anything like we expected.

BanderaBlahBlah
06-15-2003, 11:21 PM
Dunno about La Vernia, but I do know about Yoakum... I saw them play a few times last season and what was great about them then just walked the stage... They return a couple of good defenders and some good linemen, other than that they're gunna have to figure out some way to score on people and to stop people from scoring...

PI and RC are the big ones in this region...

BanderaBlahBlah
06-16-2003, 01:51 PM
Gonzales has to replace their best running back ever as well as some other key players from the last two years... I see them making the playoffs, but if someone's gunna beat Burnet, it won't be Gonzo...

SintonFan_inAustin
06-17-2003, 07:51 PM
Any Chance The Pirates Reload Next Year and Maybe Make A Good Run In The Playoffs? (Pirate Fans any info on next year players)

sinton66
06-17-2003, 10:28 PM
Pretty much wait and see, I think. Sinton had a good JV and freshman program, but losing all these seniors is gonna make the Pirates pretty young and inexperienced next year. Sinton (I was told) beat GP at every level this last season, so who knows? They may actually be better than we expect.

<small>[ June 17, 2003, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-18-2003, 09:54 AM
Is Sinton playing Raymondville again this season?

If so, if I were a Sinton fan, i'd watch out for them. They're returning almost as much as Port Isabel is, and their QB Tommy Wolfe, is something special. If my 32-3A picks hold true, Raymondville will be in Div. 1. Don't think they'd come close to Burnet, but a rematch with Sinton would be a good game to watch.

Phil C
06-18-2003, 10:24 AM
Tarpon Sinton does play Raymondville again this year in Raymondville on August 29. I was very impressed with Raymondville last year and if they are returning most of their players it will be a tough game for Sinton. Sinton will have lots of new players and Raymondville will be catching them at the right time. I think once the playoffs start Sinton will have it together and play well. Unless La Feria makes the playoffs Raymondville will be in division 1 and may face Sinton again. Sinton should be better by then. But we will be going down to the valley on August 29.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-18-2003, 10:39 AM
La Feria isn't expected to do as well since graduation has done a number on them. They'll be down for a year or two. The team i'm expecting to take La Feria's place is Lyford. They are returning some BIG BOYS on the O-Line, and a couple of big backs. They were young last season, but nearly made the playoffs. They also gave Raymondville all they could handle in their game last season. Also, Lyford has a bone to pick with La Feria. La Feria were the ones that knocked Lyford out of playoff contention in a Week 10 "win and you're in" game last season, so Lyford has the motive to do it. To be honest, Lyford is starting to look like the Lyford teams of the 1990-1991-1992 seasons......big, strong, hard hitting, smashmouth/run through you instead of around you style of play.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
06-18-2003, 08:15 PM
Well, now that I have my copy of "The Bible" I should be able to give a more complete and accurate Top 10, as well as my picks for each district.