PDA

View Full Version : Shepherd Pirates Win Again

shspiratefan
10-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Shepherd Pirates win again vs. the Splendora Wildcats (37-14).
This brings the record for the Pirates to 5-0. District starts vs. Silsbee next week and this will be tough but the Pirates are up for the challenge. Things are exciting in Pirate Land!

justagirl2
10-01-2004, 11:57 PM
who is the coach at Shepherd now?

just curious!

SintonFan
10-02-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by shspiratefan
Shepherd Pirates win again vs. the Splendora Wildcats (37-14).
This brings the record for the Pirates to 5-0. District starts vs. Silsbee next week and this will be tough but the Pirates are up for the challenge. Things are exciting in Pirate Land!
Silsbee just beat BC. I have to admit I'm not familiar with Shepherd. What's your district schedule and how do you think the Pirates will do in district?

Hupernikomen
10-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by justagirl2
who is the coach at Shepherd now?

just curious!

I went to this game last night and noticed some people I recognized from Garrison there. I then noticed the Shepherd HC was a coach I remember from Garrison as well. Don't know his name but am pretty sure he came from Garrison.

As far as the game, this is as poor of a Splendora team as I have seen in the last 7 years and probably the 2nd best Shepherd team in those same years. The new coach has the players pumped up and excited. They have a few weapons in the backfield to help a very good passing quarterback. They have 2 or 3 good receievers. They stop the run well on defense. If I had to be critical I would say they are a bit weak in pass defense.

IMO, Shepherd will be in the mix for a playoff spot. Just make the district a bit tougher with a 5th team that is playing well.

Jasper, Silsbee, Kirbyville, Coldspring, and Shepherd...gonna be interesting.

j_dog
10-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Don't forget Buna! :)

GoDeep
10-02-2004, 02:13 PM
The head coach at Shepard HS is Donald Hubbard, and yes, he's kinda known for being able to get the most out of his kids. As for the Pirates, they have some very good skill position players, but they're extremely young. They've also played one of the easiest schedules in Texas. But, this is a program that hasn't had a winning season in quite some time. Sometimes, all it takes is for the kids to get the taste of winning in their mouths. We'll see next friday. Good luck, Pirates.

j_dog
10-02-2004, 10:01 PM
An undefeated schedule against weaker teams does not make a team great. On the other hand, it does not mean the team is weak either. It may just mean that they have yet to meet a team that can test them.

I am delighted to see that there are several strong teams in district 22-aaa. Undefeated Shepherd plays undefeated Silsbee this week. This should quickly give an idea just how good Shepherd is. Silsbee gave a pretty good Bridge City all it could handle and more.

SintonFan
10-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the info.:cool:

Hupernikomen
10-02-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by GoDeep
They've also played one of the easiest schedules in Texas.

Kountze was the only really easy game on their schedule.

Hardin has had a couple of playoff teams in the recent past (though they are down again this year it seems).

Cleveland you just don't ever know what will happen with them, but it is a huge win for Shepherd to be Cleveland any year. Cleveland did beat HF, who in turn beat Diboll...so Cleveland has some talent for sure.

Woodville would have matched up well with Shepherd and will contend in 2A for a playoff spot.

Splendora has been to the playoff a couple of times in the recent past.

Not a stellar bunch that they played in the first 5 but certainly 4 of those wins are games that in the last 4 or 5 years Shepherd would have probably lost handily. They are a better team this year. You are right Friday night very well might tell us the whole story for the priates. I was impressed with their team and fans. They are excited and I am pulling for them after watching them play.

Bobkat
10-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Is Coach Hanks still coaching at Shepherd? He was at Orangefield for a while and just curious if he was still there. Great guy, and a pretty good up and coming coach.