PDA

View Full Version : Final: Gilmer 36 Daingerfield 20

Buckeyeman
10-01-2004, 10:33 PM
The Gilmer Buckeyes move to 6-o for the season with a 36-20 win over the Daingerfield Tigers before a packed house at Buckeye Stadium

Gilmer Buckeye
10-01-2004, 11:07 PM
It was 21-0 at the half and 28-0 before the Tigers finally began to come back.

Daingerfield never gave up. Frazier began to get rolling in the second half, but it was too little, too late.

Manuel Johnson passed for about 335 yards for the Buckeyes. Gilmer will almost certainly go 10-0 again with only Gladewater having a realistic shot at an upset in District 13-3A competition. That game will be at Buckeye Stadium three weeks from tonight during the Yamboree.

SintonFan
10-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Keep rolling Gilmer! You have a great team.:clap:
Are you guys going Div.1?:eek:

PPHSfan
10-01-2004, 11:46 PM
No they will terrorize D2 unless Gladewater falls flat.

SintonFan
10-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
No they will terrorize D2 unless Gladewater falls flat.
A prediction?:D

PPHSfan
10-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
A prediction?:D

No I look for them to go D2

Gladewater should go 4-1 in district and take second.

SintonFan
10-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Got it.

Buckeye80
10-02-2004, 01:22 PM
No I look for them to go D2

Gladewater should go 4-1 in district and take second.

Not to question the infinite wisdom, but Mineola is not playing bad right now. I feel confident that Pittsburg will go 4-1 in district play, but Gladewater could get knocked off by the Mineola Yellowjackets if they aren't careful.
The 'Jackets have a good little athlete by the name of JP Bingham at QB, and they beat a White Oak team last night which beat Gladewater in Week 1. Conventional wisdom of course sides with the Bears for the playoff spot, but considering how weak the other four teams in our district are, anything is possible.

Side note:

If Pittsburg makes the playoffs and Gladewater doesn't, how lousy is it that we would go D1 by virtue of having one more stinking student than Pittsburg?:mad:

PPHSfan
10-02-2004, 01:40 PM
The only way Pittsburg makes the playoffs is if they start giving points for the halftime shows.

Buckeye80
10-02-2004, 01:55 PM
The only way Pittsburg makes the playoffs is if they start giving points for the halftime shows.

Easy....easy....I can understand saying that about the Sabine Cardinals, but I think Pittsburg not only beats Gladewater and runs the table on the other two teams, but I think they actually score in their first round game against either Pleasant Grove, Atlanta, or Daingerfield. What d'ya think of that??:D

Out of those three teams from District 14, we've already played two. In your opinion, does that help or hurt us if we meet them again in the first round?

Week 4 Gilmer 20 - Pleasant Grove 7
Week 5 Gilmer 36 - Daingerfield 20

PPHSfan
10-02-2004, 02:46 PM
I don't think it matters who Gilmer meets in the first couple of rounds. They will be 12-0 going into round 3.

As for Pittsburg.

Let's look at what they have done so far.

Lost to Daingerfileld 34-8
Beat New Boston 42-14
(New Boston has not won a game yet, and they have been outscored 191 to 49)
Lost to Paris North Lamar 35-2
Lost to Winnsboro 14-13
Lost to Kaufman 10-6
Lost to Mount Vernon 41-7

I don't see Pittsburg going 4-1 in district. I see them being lucky to go 1-4.

Gilmer Buckeye
10-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Not to get picky here, but no one is going 4-1 in our district. Gilmer is 6-0. There are only four district games because 13-3A has only five teams.

Buckeye80, I agree that Bigham is a good player for Mineola and that is impressive that the 'Jackets beat White Oak, but I must respectfully disagree with your lofty expectations for the Pittsburg Pirates. I just don't see it.

mistanice
10-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Who has gilmer played and what are their records?

Buckeye80
10-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Gilmer Buckeye
Not to get picky here, but no one is going 4-1 in our district. Gilmer is 6-0. There are only four district games because 13-3A has only five teams.

Buckeye80, I agree that Bigham is a good player for Mineola and that is impressive that the 'Jackets beat White Oak, but I must respectfully disagree with your lofty expectations for the Pittsburg Pirates. I just don't see it.

I just don't see why everyone is so quick to discount Pittsburg considering how bad the other four teams in our district are. Let's look at it like this:

Gladewater: Completely unpredictable as far as which team will show up. They have a fairly competent QB but no defense. Pine Tree held their offense to 6 points.

Sabine: The football program in Liberty City is in shambles like it has been for the past decade. The Cardinals are fielding a weak team again this year and will not win one game in district play. They are once again doomed to the cellar.

Mineola: Mineola has some good solid athletes and some pretty big kids, but they have limited coaching. It's almost as if the coaches at Mineola don't know what to do with the talent they get. They have a good QB, but one kid can only take you so far. (Listen on that one Tatum fans!!)

Pittsburg: Again, no overwhelming names jump out at you on this one. The coaching or lack of could be argued here again, but this is the guy's first year. Considering the teams in district, Pitt has just as good a shot at making the top three as any of these four do.

So here's my point! Gilmer is in one of (if not THE weakest) districts in the state this year. Whichever teams finish second and third, they will be gone after the first round. I say that with absolute certainty. Pittsburg is my pick to finish second at 3-1 (sorry about the 4-1 mixup) because in my opinion, none of the other teams in the district are as good as the teams that have beat Pittsburg. We'll just see after Week 10, but I'm telling you that the Pirates make the playoffs. Mark it down!!