PDA

View Full Version : Rockdale 15, La Grange 0

LH Panther Mom
10-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Halftime

lepfan
10-01-2004, 08:30 PM
I wish I could listen to the games...but the radio reception from LG to KS is not so good:(

LH Panther Mom
10-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Well, it's halftime now, but try picking it up on www.tsrnsports.com. It cuts out, at least for me, the majority of the time, maybe you'll have better luck.

Old Green
10-01-2004, 08:37 PM
Rockdale-La Grange

Try this
http://www.tsrnsports.com/Broadcast/Broad-Rockdale.htm

LH Panther Mom
10-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Thanks - I should've copied & pasted instead of typing. :)

lepfan
10-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Thanks!!! I miss LG football!

LH Panther Mom
10-01-2004, 08:52 PM
I work with a lady from La Grange - when I went to look for a game to listen to, the choices were this or Wharton/Fburg. It was an easy choice.

LH Panther Mom
10-01-2004, 09:14 PM
Sorry, lepfan. Seems it's gone down. :(

lepfan
10-01-2004, 10:13 PM
company came by...so i missed the rest of it...

Mustang '89
10-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Anyone know the final score?

LH Panther Mom
10-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Not yet - I just switched news channels. It was really aggravating having to fight with my computer connection.

lepfan
10-01-2004, 10:43 PM
15-0 Rockdale

Leopard213
10-02-2004, 12:17 AM
Your not missing anything. TV is up to the same antics, only he ain't winnin'. He is really bad this year. Ya'll need a coach up there? I told School Board Member DM that we needed to start thinking about a change tonight and he defended TV. Go figure, his son has never been demoralized like others..... Anyway, I'm fed up and am getting more vocal. My guy isn't starting anymore, so what the hey.

signed, Frustrated in LG

SintonFan
10-02-2004, 12:23 AM
Sorry about the loss La Grange. Keep your heads up.:)
Rockdale, I've talked to some of you guys and it seems yall knew what you guys' were talkin about. Congratulations!:clap:

hutex04
10-02-2004, 12:34 AM
Now i dont feel as bad about hutto losing to Rockdale by 1 point lol

lepfan
10-02-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Leopard213
Your not missing anything. TV is up to the same antics, only he ain't winnin'. He is really bad this year. Ya'll need a coach up there? I told School Board Member DM that we needed to start thinking about a change tonight and he defended TV. Go figure, his son has never been demoralized like others..... Anyway, I'm fed up and am getting more vocal. My guy isn't starting anymore, so what the hey.

signed, Frustrated in LG

Keep what you have...you know I am not a favorite...We are having a winning season up here...they have only won a handful of games in the past couple of years...but things are looking good...they are now up 2 games...we lost tonight by 1 point...fumble in the last minute:( ...the football weather is great...around 40 tonight!!! Good luck

Pudlugger
10-02-2004, 07:54 AM
It is pretty clear that this year La Grange is experiencing what many other programs have gone through...a tough season and difficult schedule. The Leps lost some key players to graduation, especially on the O Line and at Qb. Remember from 1999-2003 the Leps enjoyed the great efforts of Tye Gunn and then Chase Anderle plus several All District and some All State lineman. This is a young team and I'm certain that with patience they will evolve into a winning one. Remember we have terrific freshman and sophomores too who will toughen up and learn the ropes to help return the Leps to winning ways. It is not really fair to blame the coaches now for losing after all they have accomplished before. Sure, I know how tough they probably have been on these kids, but that has always been Coach V's style...tough love you might say. I know Coach V loves his players and wants them to grow in strength of character and succeed in football and life. He yelled at my son many times when he screwed up on the field and yet he has always demonstrated true concern and affection for him and many ways both in football, personal and academic matters. As a wise man once said to me, if the coaches are yelling at your kid then that means they value the kid's potential and want him to succeed. The kids that don't get yelled at are the ones that eventually fall by the wayside or don't factor in much to the program. It is painful, but really isn't that how the real world is? I think if a kid can withstand some harshness as an adolescent in order to attain a worthy goal he will gain more than the goal itself, but a worthwhile lesson in life and self confidence that will see him through other difficult times. Good luck to these young men and keep your heads up. You are going to be alright, just never give up.

LH Panther Mom
10-02-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
As a wise man once said to me, if the coaches are yelling at your kid then that means they value the kid's potential and want him to succeed. The kids that don't get yelled at are the ones that eventually fall by the wayside or don't factor in much to the program. It is painful, but really isn't that how the real world is? I think if a kid can withstand some harshness as an adolescent in order to attain a worthy goal he will gain more than the goal itself, but a worthwhile lesson in life and self confidence that will see him through other difficult times. Good luck to these young men and keep your heads up. You are

I like that & am printing it out for my son. He was complaining because the coach yelled at him in practice this week. Good luck to the leps the rest of the season.

Leopard213
10-02-2004, 10:11 AM
It is pretty clear that this year La Grange is experiencing what many other programs have gone through...a tough season and difficult schedule. The Leps lost some key players to graduation, especially on the O Line and at Qb. Remember from 1999-2003 the Leps enjoyed the great efforts of Tye Gunn and then Chase Anderle plus several All District and some All State lineman. This is a young team and I'm certain that with patience they will evolve into a winning one. Remember we have terrific freshman and sophomores too who will toughen up and learn the ropes to help return the Leps to winning ways. It is not really fair to blame the coaches now for losing after all they have accomplished before. Sure, I know how tough they probably have been on these kids, but that has always been Coach V's style...tough love you might say. I know Coach V loves his players and wants them to grow in strength of character and succeed in football and life. He yelled at my son many times when he screwed up on the field and yet he has always demonstrated true concern and affection for him and many ways both in football, personal and academic matters. As a wise man once said to me, if the coaches are yelling at your kid then that means they value the kid's potential and want him to succeed. The kids that don't get yelled at are the ones that eventually fall by the wayside or don't factor in much to the program. It is painful, but really isn't that how the real world is? I think if a kid can withstand some harshness as an adolescent in order to attain a worthy goal he will gain more than the goal itself, but a worthwhile lesson in life and self confidence that will see him through other difficult times. Good luck to these young men and keep your heads up. You are going to be alright, just never give up.

In the "Real World", we as adults don't put up with being humiliated in front of our peers, receiving negative input without positive reinforcement and being denigrated to the point of not caring. If I had a boss like that, I would tell him to kiss off and move on. Our kids are having to put up with this kind of crap and the kids before have done the same. I'm tired of it and I know several parents that are tired of it also.

"Coach"...To train or tutor or to act as a trainer or tutor.

We are not "Coaching" when a mistake is made and the kid is pulled out to be denigrated and left on the sidelines with no explanation of the mistake. TV has had greater talent over the years and has not had to teach or coach. He has been lucky with the talent he has had. This year, we are small, but have alot of heart. We need a coach, not a dictator that throws his hands up in the air when things don't go his way.

I'll be the first to tell you that yelling at a kid for a mistake is not bad, if and only if, there is positive reinforcement later on. That doesn't happen in LG. It's all negative and TV has just about every other coach feeling the same way.

Check out this article and this guys coaching style.

http://archive.parade.com/2004/0829/0829_coach.html

People think this is a new feeling for me. It's not. I have had these feelings ever since we got into the program and before.

Anyway, I have had way too much coffee this morning.

Pudlugger
10-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Lep213 I understand your point and agree that positive reinforcement is more effective in shaping desirable behavior than negative reinforcement. This is well proven in psych research. On the other hand negative reinforcement is important in gaining a rapid avoidance response...such as slapping a child's hand before he touches the hot griddle or spanking him for running into the street (I know, spanking is considered child abuse now by many experts). In a very real sense that's the style of Coach V. He wants a player to avoid making repetetive errors, and he wants it immediately (much like a drill sargent wants the recruit not to hold onto the live hand grenade too long). Perhaps he feels that is more expedient than shaping the players behavior gradually through positive reinforcement and successive approximations until he gets it right. You might lose a few games with such a patient and tolerant approach even though it ultimately is the better method of training someone. Unfortunately, in coaching (especially in Texas high school football) there is very little patience among the fans and locals with torches and pitchforks out for your hide for losing too many big games. I'm not saying it is right and agree that more balance would be a good thing, but I wonder if the pressure to always win by us fans might be part of the problem. Peace.:)

Leopard213
10-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Lep213 I understand your point and agree that positive reinforcement is more effective in shaping desirable behavior than negative reinforcement. This is well proven in psych research. On the other hand negative reinforcement is important in gaining a rapid avoidance response...such as slapping a child's hand before he touches the hot griddle or spanking him for running into the street (I know, spanking is considered child abuse now by many experts). In a very real sense that's the style of Coach V. He wants a player to avoid making repetetive errors, and he wants it immediately (much like a drill sargent wants the recruit not to hold onto the live hand grenade too long). Perhaps he feels that is more expedient than shaping the players behavior gradually through positive reinforcement and successive approximations until he gets it right. You might lose a few games with such a patient and tolerant approach even though it ultimately is the better method of training someone. Unfortunately, in coaching (especially in Texas high school football) there is very little patience among the fans and locals with torches and pitchforks out for your hide for losing too many big games. I'm not saying it is right and agree that more balance would be a good thing, but I wonder if the pressure to always win by us fans might be part of the problem. Peace.:)

Hey PUD, I have a high school and college friend that I played football with in High School who is the AD at a local 3a school. I have talked with him at length about our situation. He says that TV is "old school" and most coaches don't denigrate their players.

They will use positive feedback to compel the player to do better. by the way, they are winning.

scotty
10-02-2004, 12:44 PM
It’s hard for me to imagine that after all the success that coach Tony has had at LG that there are people who would like to see him run out of town.
I like Tony as a coach because he is a very good one. But there are times when his personality could be better.
I was on the school board at an area school when Ralph Harris was the head coach. He guided the team to a state championship, but his personality was terrible.
His first year on the job there were few board meetings when someone didn’t appear and complain about him. He didn’t care, all he would say is you hired me to run your athletic program and I’m doing it the way I believe it will be successful.
“I’m not here for a popularity contest, he’d say, “But I do know that God and my wife love me and that’s enough.”
He didn’t do many things to win friends nor influence people but Harris is still coaching, I think at East Texas Baptist College as head coach.
That seems to be the approach that Tony takes.
Since WWII discipline in this country has really changed. Those growing up during that era never questioned a superior if it was the commanding officer, coach, teacher, nor mom or dad.
You did it and shut up.
Now everything needs an explanation.
Bear Bryant at Alabama was forced to change his tactics as a coach and regrets that he ever ran off Kenneth Hall at A&M.
Maybe coaches today need to take a middle ground approach, as there still needs to be discipline
Sometimes we as dads also need to realize that our kids aren’t the great athletes we want them to be. Some of that may be happening in La Grange.
I know that Tony sees good things from the kids coming… I just hope he didn’t stay in La Grange too long.
Now about great coaches, Mills was in Sealy and had unsurpassed success. After he left he was fired at Permian and now at La Porte his team is 0-4. But you know what. When and if the Bulldogs get as much talent as his opponents have… La Port will win.

Leopard213
10-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by scotty
It’s hard for me to imagine that after all the success that coach Tony has had at LG that there are people who would like to see him run out of town.
I like Tony as a coach because he is a very good one. But there are times when his personality could be better.
I was on the school board at an area school when Ralph Harris was the head coach. He guided the team to a state championship, but his personality was terrible.
His first year on the job there were few board meetings when someone didn’t appear and complain about him. He didn’t care, all he would say is you hired me to run your athletic program and I’m doing it the way I believe it will be successful.
“I’m not here for a popularity contest, he’d say, “But I do know that God and my wife love me and that’s enough.”
He didn’t do many things to win friends nor influence people but Harris is still coaching, I think at East Texas Baptist College as head coach.
That seems to be the approach that Tony takes.
Since WWII discipline in this country has really changed. Those growing up during that era never questioned a superior if it was the commanding officer, coach, teacher, nor mom or dad.
You did it and shut up.
Now everything needs an explanation.
Bear Bryant at Alabama was forced to change his tactics as a coach and regrets that he ever ran off Kenneth Hall at A&M.
Maybe coaches today need to take a middle ground approach, as there still needs to be discipline
Sometimes we as dads also need to realize that our kids aren’t the great athletes we want them to be. Some of that may be happening in La Grange.
I know that Tony sees good things from the kids coming… I just hope he didn’t stay in La Grange too long.
Now about great coaches, Mills was in Sealy and had unsurpassed success. After he left he was fired at Permian and now at La Porte his team is 0-4. But you know what. When and if the Bulldogs get as much talent as his opponents have… La Port will win.

SCOTTY, thanks for your input. Yes, my son is not the greatest player and he knows it. I believe he has really tried. He has started every year but this one along with other juniors. His class has always had a winning season. Why are they losing now? He even went to the coach for help, but was immediately blown off.

I have spent 16 years building my son's self esteem and I'm not gonna let it be lost over this deal.

When I was a high school player many many years ago, I got my rear end chewed many a time. I was also reinforced with positive responses. To this day, I still have contact with some of those coaches and have a lot of respect for them. They taught me POSITIVE life lessons, not negative ones.

You know the saying, "The only thing constant is change". Well, maybe change is necessary here. Change in coaching style or change in coaches. Time will tell.

And yes, when your on top it's hard to knock someones tactics. But that doesn't make them right.

BIGGBROTHER
10-02-2004, 02:18 PM
hey yall la grange will come out of it hutto needs the new coach
these kids are winning on pure talent alone

as far as a coach its true you do have to get in these kids faces and get in their hearts or they wont believe

and again the other is true as well acknowledging credit where its due but only enough to not swell the cranium

a kids movie put it down in the best words
" when your the leader everything is your fault"

if your a coach everything is your fault

fortunately for la grange good coaches can fix their faults

unfortunatly for hutto we dont have a good coach
hes a good guy just lacks in the field of well everything

and any kid out their who plays and a coach yells at you get used to it just dont get used to the stupidity of bad judgement

Old Tiger
10-02-2004, 05:00 PM
La Grange keep your heads up...yall are a good football team. Yall never gave up. In the 4th quarter with 2 min. left yall were still swarmin to th ball and playing with everything you got. Good game John and Tanner. It was fun playing against the 2 of you. La Grange is a classy team, with the exception of #13 who lost control in the 4th quarter and got a personal foul and was thrown out of the game. Things will get better you just got to work hard and overcome adversity.

Pudlugger
10-02-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
La Grange keep your heads up...yall are a good football team. Yall never gave up. In the 4th quarter with 2 min. left yall were still swarmin to th ball and playing with everything you got. Good game John and Tanner. It was fun playing against the 2 of you. La Grange is a classy team, with the exception of #13 who lost control in the 4th quarter and got a personal foul and was thrown out of the game. Things will get better you just got to work hard and overcome adversity.

Thanks for the kind words, and nice game Casey #8. Good luck the rest of the way.

bd62
10-02-2004, 09:52 PM
did not hear any of this when lagrange was winning. every program is not going to have good talent every yr. it comes in cycles. but the true fans like pudlugger stick with the program. we have played lagrange 3 times in the last 4 yrs. and i was allways impress with how well they were coached and how hard the kids played. stick with this team and the coaches in the good times and bad times. the season is still young and there is lot of games left.