PDA

View Full Version : Modern Day Friday night lights....

Keith7
10-01-2004, 01:31 PM
What town or team do you guys think could be most related to the Permian team in the book now-a-days... this can be any classification, I know reading back in the book i could relate alot of the things they said to Gainesville, but i'm sure its the same with many teams..

From the outside, I think Denton Ryan or Southlake Carrol both would be teams that hold their town's emotions and are expected to contend for the state championship year after year

IHStangFan
10-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Sealy had a good run at it there for a few years.....and if i recall correctly....you used to always hear about Judson. Celina has done it year after year in the past....of course..these are all diff. classifications.

Keith7
10-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Sealy had a good run at it there for a few years.....and if i recall correctly....you used to always hear about Judson. Celina has done it year after year in the past....of course..these are all diff. classifications.

good point, they can be from any class, cuz Permian is 5A

IHStangFan
10-01-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
good point, they can be from any class, cuz Permian is 5A yup...also...who was it out in west Texas that used to win the 6 man year after year? was it Sanderson? i cant recall. just know it was out in that area.

Chris Hart
10-01-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
yup...also...who was it out in west Texas that used to win the 6 man year after year? was it Sanderson? i cant recall. just know it was out in that area. Wasn't that fort Hancock?

Junkyard
10-01-2004, 01:37 PM
I am thinking Sthephenville from the 90's on.

IHStangFan
10-01-2004, 01:38 PM
i really cant remember......Marathon? Sanderson? Marfa? i really dont remember.

Chris Hart
10-01-2004, 01:39 PM
I would say SLC is the closest thing to the old Permian. Denton Ryan is great as well, but just moving up to 5A, they are just now receiving the National attention. Isn't SLC ranked #1 in the nation presently?

Keith7
10-01-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
I would say SLC is the closest thing to the old Permian. Denton Ryan is great as well, but just moving up to 5A, they are just now receiving the National attention. Isn't SLC ranked #1 in the nation presently?

Yes they are, but Permian wasn't ranked nationally, infact they lost a couple of games during the regular season (I don't want to ruin the movie and say who)..

The reason why I chose Ryan is because, Like Permian, there are 2 high schools in Denton, and Ryan has been the more dominant one for years, just like in friday night lights, also Denton's size is similar to Odessa's and also has some racial differences between the high schools, just like the book, thats why i thought of Denton Ryan..

and The reason i thought of SLC is because it seems like their whole town comes together for their games, if you read the other message boards, they are crowded with SLC fans so bad that its almost annoying, but they really love their town's football

IHStangFan
10-01-2004, 01:48 PM
Yes they are, but Permian wasn't ranked nationally, infact they lost a couple of games during the regular season (I don't want to ruin the movie and say who)..

The reason why I chose Ryan is because, Like Permian, there are 2 high schools in Denton, and Ryan has been the more dominant one for years, just like in friday night lights, also Denton's size is similar to Odessa's and also has some racial differences between the high schools, just like the book, thats why i thought of Denton Ryan..

and The reason i thought of SLC is because it seems like their whole town comes together for their games, if you read the other message boards, they are crowded with SLC fans so bad that its almost annoying, but they really love their town's football kinda like Sinton only on a bigger scale....on a friday night, Sinton streets are EMPTY..cause everyone is at the game. every car, truck or van you pass has a Sinton Pirates sticker or flag on it.....

Chris Hart
10-01-2004, 01:58 PM

and The reason i thought of SLC is because it seems like their whole town comes together for their games, if you read the other message boards, they are crowded with SLC fans so bad that its almost annoying, but they really love their town's football Well, you know more about it than me, I haven't seen the movie or read the book yet. I plan to do both eventually.

Keith7
10-01-2004, 02:02 PM
Well, you know more about it than me, I haven't seen the movie or read the book yet. I plan to do both eventually.

yea i know, i went and bought the book 2 weeks ago to re-read it before the movie came out..

plus I dated a girl from Billy Ryan High school, whos parents wouldnt shut up about how Denton Ryan was just like the book

Bandera YaYa
10-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Well, that's all fine and good....but I think a new "Cinderella' book (movie??) should be written about Bandera's 2002 State Championship team. And I want quotes from all you posters who didn't believe!!! :D :D

Keith7
10-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Well, that's all fine and good....but I think a new "Cinderella' book (movie??) should be written about Bandera's 2002 State Championship team. And I want quotes from all you posters who didn't believe!!! :D :D

I wouldnt want to be prince charming in that movie!:eek: :eek: :eek:

BullFrog Dad
10-01-2004, 03:01 PM
Haven't read FNL but I've heard plenty about Permian's football history. I would have to say that SLC is today's Permian for one main reason. During their heyday Permian would recruit the best players in the Basin area with the lure being Dad getting a job in the "oil patch". I've got friends in the Colleyville-SL-Grapevine area who say how amazed people would be at the number of kids who show up at SLC in 8th-10th grade that were outstanding FB players at their previous schools. Of course Dad or Mom just happened to get a job transfer from another part of the country.

Bandera YaYa
10-01-2004, 03:04 PM
I wouldnt want to be prince charming in that movie!:eek: :eek: :eek: Too late.....I already submitted your name!!!! :evillaugh :evillaugh :evilgrin:

jason
10-01-2004, 03:18 PM

The reason why I chose Ryan is because, Like Permian, there are 2 high schools in Denton, and Ryan has been the more dominant one for years, everything you said, i agree with, except for this..they've only been open for about 6 years, give or take a year...

HighSchool Fan
10-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Haven't read FNL but I've heard plenty about Permian's football history. I would have to say that SLC is today's Permian for one main reason. During their heyday Permian would recruit the best players in the Basin area with the lure being Dad getting a job in the "oil patch". I've got friends in the Colleyville-SL-Grapevine area who say how amazed people would be at the number of kids who show up at SLC in 8th-10th grade that were outstanding FB players at their previous schools. Of course Dad or Mom just happened to get a job transfer from another part of the country.

How come every time a team consistanly wins everyone says that they recruit? One of SLC's assisting coaches last year is head coaching somewhere else this year. Wouldn't he blow the whistle on SLC if he had to play them? If GA Moore was recruiting wouldn't other coaches be complaining? It's always just the fans of the opposing teams that complain about recruiting.

BullFrog Dad
10-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
How come every time a team consistanly wins everyone says that they recruit? One of SLC's assisting coaches last year is head coaching somewhere else this year. Wouldn't he blow the whistle on SLC if he had to play them? If GA Moore was recruiting wouldn't other coaches be complaining? It's always just the fans of the opposing teams that complain about recruiting. Coaches? Try booster club. SL is an upper class area with plenty of executives that have the power to "arrange" for a kid with outstanding talent to show up in their district.

sahen
10-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Katy Tigers....they havent had a loosing season in over 20 years (one 5-5 year)....they have been to the playoffs every year since '91 and played atleast 15 games in a season every year since '97 except 2001...to tell u how good that is...if u play 15 games in a season ur in the semifinals in D2, and 16 is teh Finals.......not to mention they have 4 championships, 59, 97, 00, 03...they have been nationally ranked...they have dominated the past 10 years....last year they were 16-0 also...

HighSchool Fan
10-01-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Coaches? Try booster club. SL is an upper class area with plenty of executives that have the power to "arrange" for a kid with outstanding talent to show up in their district.

There are going to be other parents who think that there kid is a better athlete than a kid that was "recruited" or "arranged" who would get mad that their kid didn't get an offer and then they would go to the UIL. I've heard for years about GA Moore recruting, I finally got to meet him 2 years ago. It's not him, or the booster clubs, its the parents themselves who want to move to give their kids a better chance.

WOS92
10-01-2004, 04:03 PM
LaMarque - four straight titles in seven straight championship games, then another one last year. No brainer!

Tiny
10-01-2004, 06:52 PM
Well, you know more about it than me, I haven't seen the movie or read the book yet. I plan to do both eventually.

Hey Chris - Wal-mart had the book for $5 last week. I read it years ago and cannot WAIT for the movie to come out. Of course it is released next Friday so we'll all be at football games, but maybe something for Saturday night!

LHMom
10-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Tiny
Hey Chris - Wal-mart had the book for $5 last week. I read it years ago and cannot WAIT for the movie to come out. Of course it is released next Friday so we'll all be at football games, but maybe something for Saturday night!

Oops! Somebody else was still logged in! That was from ME - LH Mom!

LH Panther Mom
10-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by LHMom
Oops! Somebody else was still logged in! That was from ME - LH Mom!

Busted! :D

LHMom
10-01-2004, 07:18 PM
So back to the original topic, I don't know who I would say is the modern day Friday night lights team, but I would not vote for Southlake Carroll. I have family in the same district with them, and they've enjoyed such success that there are many families with money (and egos) moving there just to get their kids in that program. This has taken away from the down-home, dream of since you were a little boy atmosphere there. Don't get me wrong - I have great respect for the program they've built there, just an observation about the comparison to FNL.

AggieJohn
10-11-2004, 10:58 AM