PDA

View Full Version : Canton hires new head coach/AD

EastTexas
05-30-2003, 02:59 PM
http://www.tylerpaper.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=8165238&BRD=1994&PAG=461&dept_id=374749&rfi=6

By: JOE BUIE, Staff Writer May 29, 2003

Former Baylor all-conference linebacker Gary Joe Kinne was approved Wednesday as Canton High School's new athletic director and head football coach.

Kinne comes to Canton after six years at Mesquite High School, where he coached the linebackers before being promoted to defensive coordinator last season. Mesquite won the Class 5A Division I state championship in 2001.

Kinne, who will turn 36 next month, has 10 years of coaching experience - none as a head coach - including one year at Allen and three at Kaufman.

Before deciding to take the Canton job, he sought advice from current Chapel Hill football coach David Norris. The two were on the staff together at Mesquite - Norris as the defensive coordinator before taking over at Chapel Hill for the 2002 season.

"He was very helpful and gave us insight on the pitfalls of the first year," Kinne said. "He helped me decide if Canton was good for me. I enjoyed my job and Mesquite is going to have a great football team next year."

Kinne replaces David Hughes, who went to Sanger High School after seven years at Canton and a 34-37 record. The Eagles went 5-5 in 2001 and 3-7 last year.

"I'm looking forward to a lot of hard work," Kinne said. "I have models of success we established at Mesquite."

Kinne's top priorities include meeting his players and evaluating Canton's current coaching staff. He said he also might bring in offensive and defensive coordinators.

Kinne's long-term offensive plan includes an emphasis on the passing game.

"We're going to throw the football," he said. "It's hard to say. I'm going to evaluate our personnel. We may be better suited this first year running the ball. We want to give these seniors next year a chance to win."

Kinne will employ a multiple defense geared to attacking and blitzing out of an eight-man front.

"Defense is more about effort and desire - you do a lot of scheming on offense," he said.

Notes: Kinne has strong family ties to Tyler. His father, Gary Kinne Sr., played on Tyler Junior College's 1960 national championship football team. His mom, Nancy, was an Apache Belle. ... Kinne graduated from North Mesquite High School in 1985. He signed as a free agent with the Philadelphia Eagles out of Baylor, and also played one year in the old World League for the Orlando Thunder.