09-28-2003, 01:25 AM
Looks like this district is turning out to be a real tough one:

Graham 4-1
Childress 5-0
Iowa Park 3-1
Vernon 3-1
Breckenridge 4-1
Bowie (1-4)

Through 20 games the top four teams have only lost 4 games collectively. IP & Vernon both lost to 4A schools.

Can't wait to start district and get this thing figured out. District 6 pay attention!

VWG
09-28-2003, 09:58 AM
There are two teams, Breckenridge & Childress, that are a mystery right now. Both have good pre-district records but who have they beat? Childress has beaten up on some 2A teams and Breckenridge has done the same, with a quality win over Ballinger. Graham plays Childress in the district opener and it's in Childress, that's about 150 mile ride on the ol' yellow dog.
Vernon and Iowa Park look tough, and it's good to see Vernon coming back strong. I like having Vernon back... it makes for good competition. Vernon used to kick everybody's ass during the Leo Brittain days. It's good to see Vernon bringing a strong team to the district race. Iowa Park looks as if they should be a good offensive team but their defense could be weaker than previous seasons. Giving up 17 to Denton Liberty Christian, and 21 to Burk, etc... could cause them problems. They will have to shut people down in district.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-29-2003, 11:04 AM
Agreed, the mysteries will be solved in the next several weeks. I don't think that Childress would be undefeated if they had played some bigger schools. With that in mind, also Holliday and Quanah are both quality teams. Holliday has for the last several years beaten Iowa Park in non-district. IP doesn't play them any more. Go figure. But what can you say when you go 5-0? That game should be a good one to determine if Childress' weak schedule hurt them or helped them build confidence to go over into district.

We will see who is better between Breckenridge and IP. The winner of that one may be playoff bound.

Vernon has Bowie, which shouldn’t show anything other than Bowie should drop down to 2A.

Week two should bring this thing into focus.
Vernon @ Breckenridge
Childress @ IP
Bowie @ Graham

vet93
09-29-2003, 12:34 PM
An outsiders prespective...I still think that Vernon, Graham and IP are the favorites. Childress if definitely on the upswing but their schedule is still a little suspect in my book. Not to say that they won't play a factor...It is just that they need a quality win against a good 3a ball club to solidify them as a contender. Last year...I jumped on the Breckenridge bandwagon too early after they defeated Ballinger. I felt that they were very inconsistent in the second half of the season and had a couple of games where they folded pretty badly. If they can keep the momentum going and not have the collapses that they had last year, then they have a chance to do well. With their offense (spread), when things are clicking they are very dangerous, when things are not clicking then they can look horrible. They don't have the horses like the Bridgeport teams of a couple of years ago or Decatur this year to come in and dominate...they will have to be running on all cylinders to defeat the big 3. If I was to pick the order of the way I think the teams will finish I would have to say...1,2. Tossup between Vernon and Graham, 3. IP 4. Breckenridge 5. Childress, 6. Bowie. I think that the key game for the third spot will be Breck and IP. If Breck comes to play they could take the #3 spot.

longhorns25
09-30-2003, 09:24 PM
Graham will win this district for the 5th time in a row. Childress had a weak non-district schedule that is the only reason they are 5-0. IP and Vernon have always been good but dont know much about them this year. Breckenridge had a huge win against Ballinger so they must be pretty good. And I agree that Bowie needs to move down to 2a cuz their just not cutting it in 3a. My predictions are

Graham
Iowa Park
Vernon or Breckenridge
Childress
Bowie

VWG
09-30-2003, 09:36 PM
longhorns25:
Graham will win this district for the 5th time in a row. Childress had a weak non-district schedule that is the only reason they are 5-0. IP and Vernon have always been good but dont know much about them this year. Breckenridge had a huge win against Ballinger so they must be pretty good. And I agree that Bowie needs to move down to 2a cuz their just not cutting it in 3a. My predictions are

Graham
Iowa Park
Vernon or Breckenridge
Childress
BowieI wouldn't give the Steers the nod so quickly. Vernon is playing well, and they will have Graham at home this year. Graham seems to have their offense on track the past couple of games, but until they can be consistent for 4 qtrs. I still see this race up for grabs between the "big three". Vernon, Graham, and Iowa Park.

bubba_chuck_34
09-30-2003, 09:45 PM
Yo yea i would say that district is up for grabs the last 2 playoff spots. The Graham Steers have come along way form when they played the Sweetwater Mustangs. It was a wake up call for them. They have been playing some good ball since then. Vernon and I.P. are also pretty good but i dont know much about them yet. Childress has changed to the spread offence and look like they are alright against 2a teams but when they played Amarillo Caprock (4a) they kinda struggled. There qb Manley doesnt liked to get hit. We will see when the play the Steers. Breck did have a big win against Ballinger but they dont look like they have the power to make the playoffs. 1, Steers 2. Vernon 3. I.P./Breck/Childress Bowie doesnt even need to show up.