PDA

View Full Version : Great Football Quotes

Bullaholic
09-29-2004, 09:04 PM
How many great football quotes can you remember? I remember a couple....the first was by Vince Lombardi, one of my favorite coaches of all time:

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious."

The second is anonymous, or I don't know the source, but it broke me up when same player was commenting how poorly some receiver caught the ball ....."Venus de Milo catches better than that guy."

Another was by Don Meredith when he was calling a Monday night game years ago and a right-handed quarterback threw the ball left-handed as he was being sacked....Don said, "Man that boy is amphibious".

Others?

Gobbla2001
09-29-2004, 09:09 PM
Cuero's ex head-coach told us this before a Sealy game once (it was in Sealy, we had never beat Sealy, EVER)...

"Men, you gotta want this one, no Cuero team has ever beat them....... look at this, they put us in a locker room no bigger than my bathroom at home..."

It was small, but, he must have had a decent sized bathroom...

LH Panther Mom
09-29-2004, 09:15 PM
"You boys quit playing grab a.. out there". Probably once a week at practice to whatever team my dad was coaching that year.

Gobbla2001
09-29-2004, 09:18 PM
Had one coach that would cuss, and in the same sentence say the semi-clean word to that same cuss word...

Example:

"Da**it men, you gotta start working a little dang harder... If you guys don't stop half-a#$ing, we're going to take you outside and run your butts off..."

Bullaholic
09-29-2004, 09:20 PM
LH Panther Mom.. I bet that one has been used more than just a few times by your dad and others over the years....one of the "old school" expressions that brings back a lot of memories.

PPHSfan
09-29-2004, 09:21 PM
"There is no strife, no prejudice, no national conflict in outer space as yet. Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserves the best of all mankind, and its opportunity for peaceful cooperation may never come again. But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain. Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?"

John F. Kennedy
Address at Rice University on the Space Effort
September 12, 1962

LH Panther Mom
09-29-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
LH Panther Mom.. I bet that one has been used more than just a few times by your dad and others over the years....one of the "old school" expressions that brings back a lot of memories.

Most certainly. :)

Ranger Mom
09-29-2004, 09:25 PM
My favorite:

Hard work and hustle will be talent, when talent won't work hard and hustle!

handNthedirt
...a fight broke out in the girl's lockeroom, one of the fb coaches busted through the doors to break it up while screaming "cover your eyes girls...I'm comin' in!!!"(stop and think about that one)

...same coach, "that boy is so stupid, he couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the directions were on the heel."

...same coach, "...it's like constipation, once it's over, it's over."

Bullaholic
"Three things can happen when you throw the ball.....and two of em' are bad."- Darryl Royal

TheDOCTORdre
09-29-2004, 09:26 PM
When I played my coach had some memorable ones:
"Kiss a fat duck, gentlemen"
"Get your grease hot". or the classic variation, "If this doesnt get your grease hot, gentlemen I don't know what does

Gobbla2001
09-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Also had one that did something funny... not a quote, but funny...

He liked saying 'men' a lot...

I had him for a class my senior year, with girls in it and everything, and when we'd get loud or something he'd go "Alright, Men!"

Keith7
09-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Our baseball coach had more 1 liners then a terminator movie, too bad that isnt football!

Bullaholic
09-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Jerry Glanville once said to a ref-- "That NFL on your hat stands for "Not For Long" when you make a call like that."

Bullaholic
09-29-2004, 09:35 PM
Aw heck Keith7....go ahead and throw em' in if they're quoteable and funny.

handNthedirt
09-29-2004, 09:36 PM
There's a name I haven't heard in a long long time(Jerry Glanville)! What is that guy up to nowadays...anyone know?

cjeffsjeep
10-01-2004, 09:18 AM
I remember one coach crom cuero would tell us that there are 3 T's in winning "Teamwork Talent and Tttatermination" lol you know who im talking about if you have went to Cuero in the last 20 years lol

Bullaholic
10-01-2004, 09:36 AM
"Great backs make holes...they don't need to run thru holes".--Joe Don Looney circa 65'

BullFrog Dad
10-01-2004, 09:50 AM
At a practice last year one of the kids got ran over by a blocking back allowing a big gain by the RB. One of the coaches called out the kid's name and told him "The cleaners just called and said your evening gowns are ready for pick-up!".

ranger
10-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Here's one from one Perryton great coach of the past, " Remember, coacher, air goes into the ball, the ball don't go in the air." Great guy.... lots of fun to listen to. Jiggs Jackson

coiled2strike
10-01-2004, 10:58 AM
joe paterno
the will to win is important, but the will to prepare is vital

ray knight
concentration is the ability to think about absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary

USMC
pain is just weakness leaving your body...

and vince lombardi's speech about what it takes to be no. 1
way too much to type, but awesome...

coiled2strike
10-01-2004, 11:07 AM
from my old coaches...

rub some dirt on it...
jump up and down...
if it ain't bleedin, you ain't hurt...and no squeezin the wound...
and a few others that i probably shouldn't post, so i won't...

ranger
10-01-2004, 12:06 PM
kid hurt his leg...... coach replied " hell, that's three feet from your heart get up and play" :):):):):)

Gobbla2001
10-01-2004, 12:15 PM
Ooooh, the best ones go something like this...

"Oh my God, Coach, Jack's arm was just ripped off......."

"Oh, well, put some ice on it!!!"

Gobbla2001
10-01-2004, 12:16 PM
cjeffjeep:

Wouldn't happen to be the ole Victimo would it?

BlitzemAll
10-01-2004, 12:20 PM
from 1 of my teammates....showing me a deep purple 6" oval bruise on his ribs after a game......"wow, would you look at this, it looks awful, I'm going to get plenty of sympathy lovin for this 1 tonite."

Bullaholic
10-01-2004, 12:34 PM
How about the radio announcer from the great Tyler Lee- Plano East game from a few years ago when Plano East made one of the greatest last-minute come-from-behind victories of all time. As the player was scoring the go-ahead TD....the announcer yelled "I'm gonna pee in my pants." (This is from memory- I may not have my football history exactly correct on this one.)

CheerMom
10-01-2004, 12:36 PM
This from my favorite coach of all time, the late, great Bear Bryant
"If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it."

PPHSfan
10-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
How about the radio announcer from the great Tyler Lee- Plano East game from a few years ago when Plano East made one of the greatest last-minute come-from-behind victories of all time. As the player was scoring the go-ahead TD....the announcer yelled "I'm gonna pee in my pants." (This is from memory- I may not have my football history exactly correct on this one.)

Actually I think he said " I am gonna be sick".

nigelmer
10-01-2004, 02:16 PM
An ex-East Texas coach after a loss hearing from a fan in the stands "Why don't you get those boys to play" replied..."I just coach em sir, I don't breed em"

cjeffsjeep
10-12-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
cjeffjeep:

Wouldn't happen to be the ole Victimo would it?

Sure was glad to see he impacted some one elses life with those wounderful words of wisdom and that dragon breath lol

44INAROW
10-12-2004, 10:42 AM
oops nevermind.. senior moment

AggieJohn
10-12-2004, 10:53 AM
Cedric Benson of Texas, on ESPN Radio, asked if he'd rather win the Heisman or beat OU for the first time in his four years: "Win the Heisman."

Clemson TB Merriweather: "We really hurt them (A&M) with our running game."

K-State's defensive coordinator, "Our team can't tackle me, and I don't even have any moves."

Virginia TB Marquis Weeks telling The Washington Post after his 100-yard KO return, "That was just instinct. Kind of like running from the cops.

ej2525
10-12-2004, 11:03 AM
We had our linebacker coach (def. coordinator) used to say when we were working on a defensive blitz plays "Drop your skirts boys, pin your ears back, Katy bar the door and get in there!!"

LH Panther Mom
10-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by explayer2001
Cedric Benson of Texas, on ESPN Radio, asked if he'd rather win the Heisman or beat OU for the first time in his four years: "Win the Heisman."

At least he's honest.

PPHSfan
10-12-2004, 11:50 AM
EP is just a UT Hater. He can't help himself. The guy who makes him sign his shoes for him everyday insists on it.