PDA

View Full Version : Anybody seen Canton?

Gsquared
09-29-2004, 08:54 AM
Look good in the paper but the comp doesnt look real tuff.

kaorder1999
09-29-2004, 09:00 AM
nah...theyve played some shaky competition but they are still putting up great numbers like any good team should against weaker oppenents. I just like a 3a team that can throw and catch. People said last year that it was all because they were playing a weak schedule but then they went on to win a playoff game which was huge for them

chaingang
09-29-2004, 09:28 AM
I read a great article on the QB yesterday in the Orange Leader. Let me see if I can post it.hold on here we go.

Confident QB Kinne leads Class 3A Canton

By Kristie Rieken - AP Sports Writer

Things were tough for G.J. Kinne when he arrived at Canton just before two-a-days last season and took over as quarterback as a 14-year-old freshman.

He had to learn a new system while getting to know an entire team, most of which had played together since grade school. The season ended with Kinne racking up 1,650 yards passing and leading Class 3A Canton to the playoffs for the first time in 39 years.

The family made the move from Mesquite when his father Gary Kinne came to the East Texas school for his first head coaching job.

G.J. Kinne's performance was good last season. But now that he's gained the confidence of the team and the maturity that comes from starting 12 games, Kinne has blossomed.

In just five games he's almost surpassed his passing total for last season in leading Canton to a 5-0 record. In Friday's 47-21 win over Class 4A Athens, he threw for 465 yards and six touchdowns and ran for 57 yards and another score.

"It was real tough last year," he said. "I think it was hard for them to accept me. They didn't know anything about me. At such a small school, when you know everyone, anything new is scary.

"Every week I had prove myself. It was like a game within a game."

His father has seen his progression and is amazed at his strides since last season.

"Some games he would play really well and others it would be a struggle," the coach said. "Last year was just unfair to him. There was a tremendous amount of pressure."

It probably didn't hurt that he grew 2 inches and put on 20 pounds since his freshman year - now he's 6-foot-2 and 185 pounds.

"I'm a lot more comfortable and I see the field a whole lot better," the quarterback said. "It feels so much better, I can stop worrying about everything else and just play football again."

Friday, he was 23-of-41 with touchdown passes of 9, 60, 39, 15, 22 and 10 yards.

Kinne said he knew that he had thrown a lot of touchdown passes, but had no idea how many yards he had amassed.

"I was shocked," he said. "I figured it was around 300 like I have been getting."

The elder Kinne said his son was destined to be a quarterback since he was a small boy. That's when he realized that G.J. Kinne was too tall and thin to be a linebacker like he was.

He's always had a strong arm and has played quarterback since third grade when he says he scored almost every time he touched the ball.

The 15-year-old is also a pitcher for the baseball team, plays basketball and runs track.

His dad says he thinks playing baseball helps his son with his throws on the football field.

"He can throw the ball a long way and he's got a quick release," Gary Kinne said. "He's very elusive and he can make people miss." -----

Gsquared
09-29-2004, 09:47 AM
He has put up some pretty big numbers. Interested to see what they do in district.