PDA

View Full Version : Modem question

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 07:27 AM
I recently purchased a new computer and I have noticed that, when online, I am only "hooked-up" at 26.4 bps. I beleive most (if not all) computers come with modems capable of 58 or 59 bps. Any ideas as to why I'm surfing at about half the capacity of my modem?

PPHSfan
09-29-2004, 07:28 AM
The quality of your phone line, or the speed of your isp is what is limiting you. That and the distance from the phone switching station.

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 08:03 AM
Is there anything that can be done about the quality of the line? Obviously, the other things you listed are out of my control.

LH Panther Mom
09-29-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Is there anything that can be done about the quality of the line? Obviously, the other things you listed are out of my control.

Most likely not - that'll be up to the phone company.

3afan
09-29-2004, 08:16 AM
complain, complain, complain !!!!! we did & they came out & upgraded some signal boosters on the lines & performance improves drastically - this was when we first hooked up to cable modem

LH Panther Mom
09-29-2004, 08:17 AM
Spiveyrat, are you on dial-up?

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 08:19 AM
Maybe a better question is "Will the phone company come out to my house and improve the quality of my line?" If so, then there is something I can do.

PPHSfan
09-29-2004, 08:20 AM
You could also switch to cable.:)

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 08:21 AM
Yes, dialup at home.

LH Panther Mom
09-29-2004, 08:21 AM
Possibly. It won't hurt to call. They should be able to do something.

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
You could also switch to cable.:)

Too EXPENSIVE!

LH Panther Mom
09-29-2004, 08:25 AM
How about DSL?

PPHSfan
09-29-2004, 08:27 AM
Too EXPENSIVE!

Just borrow five grand from 3afan:D

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
How about DSL?

About the same as the price of cable.

Ranger Mom
09-29-2004, 08:40 AM
My AOL is $28.90 ($5 charge for drafting my account) and my extra phone line is $19.99 plus tax.

I can get broadband (which is supposedly faster than cable or dsl) for $49.99 a month, which is basically what I am paying now.

I just have to come up with $318 for the set-up charge. That is what I have put on my Christmas wishlist!!

If I understand correctly, the broadband will be able to be used on ALL computers in the house!

Also, the phone company may have what is called a "dirty line"....like 3Afan said..complain, complain, complain!

I did and they didn't find anything wrong on the line, so I STILL connect at 28.8!:(

PPHSfan
09-29-2004, 08:43 AM
Broadband rocks

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 08:58 AM
About the same as the price of cable.

I'm wrong... DSL is a little cheaper.

After investigating a little, I've learned I need to get educated in all the avenues of internet connection... I think there may be some jargon overlap here that is confusing me.

Is cable and broad band the same thing?

Is a satellite connection and DSL the same thing?

DSL uses a phone jack? If so, how is it faster than dialup, then?

Help!!! :eek:

PPHSfan
09-29-2004, 09:00 AM
You're right.

You are way behind the times spivey. We need to give you a crash course.

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
My AOL is $28.90 ($5 charge for drafting my account) and my extra phone line is $19.99 plus tax.

I can get broadband (which is supposedly faster than cable or dsl) for $49.99 a month, which is basically what I am paying now.

I just have to come up with $318 for the set-up charge. That is what I have put on my Christmas wishlist!!

If I understand correctly, the broadband will be able to be used on ALL computers in the house!

Also, the phone company may have what is called a "dirty line"....like 3Afan said..complain, complain, complain!

I did and they didn't find anything wrong on the line, so I STILL connect at 28.8!:(

RM, you're paying $28.90 for dialup? I'm paying about $10 for SBC Global.

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 09:02 AM
You're right.

You are way behind the times spivey. We need to give you a crash course.

Crash away!

Ranger Mom
09-29-2004, 09:17 AM
RM, you're paying $28.90 for dialup? I'm paying about $10 for SBC Global.

It's actually $23.90 a month....I live in a dead spot and don't have alot of options. I tried to get on SBC, but is not available at my location!

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 09:32 AM
Oh! I didn't think about that! :eek:

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Well, I've done a little research and have learned a little about Digital Subscriber Lines (in case you were wondering yourself). I've been under the impression that DSL was satellite technology. But, I see now that is not the case. It apparently uses existing phone lines, but requires special filters on your phone jacks and a special DSL modem attached to your computer. It is actually priced just above your pricier dialup providers and can provide data in the range of 300 Kbps to 3 Mbps depending on your proximity to the DSL provider (as was said earlier by PPHSfan).

If you want to know more about DSL,

go here. (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm)

cdlvj
09-29-2004, 11:44 AM
Check out the number that you are dialing as the modem at the ISP may only be a 28K modem. If you look at swbell.net, they have sets of numbers for different speeds.

And the lines also will not handle the higher speeds, Here in SA on bitters road, which is a business area, all the lines connect at 28/33k, and they do that on purpose, so that the business's have to pay T1 access which runs into the hundreds of dollars a month. And of course DSL is not available there.

SintonFan
09-29-2004, 11:57 AM
spivey, how far out of town do you live?

IHStangFan
09-29-2004, 12:00 PM
The quality of your phone line, or the speed of your isp is what is limiting you. That and the distance from the phone switching station. this man obviously knows what hes talking about....i second this all....how old are the phone lines that run to your house? the quality of the line can really effect your data rate. also as stated...the distance from the switch, etc.

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
spivey, how far out of town do you live?

I don't. I'm a city dweller.

SintonFan
09-29-2004, 12:04 PM
I don't. I'm a city dweller.
:eek:
Who's your provider?

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
this man obviously knows what hes talking about....i second this all....how old are the phone lines that run to your house? the quality of the line can really effect your data rate. also as stated...the distance from the switch, etc.

My house is 20-25 years old... I imagine the phone lines are too.(?)

On a related note, it would seem to me that the speed of your DSL would also be contingent on the quality of the phone lines. Is that correct?

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 12:10 PM
:eek:
Who's your provider?

It was Verizon. Now, it's SBC Global.

PPHSfan
09-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Go to the Lowe's and buy you some good cat-5 cable, and a new phone jack. Run you a new line from the grey box outside of your house thru the wall and into a new phone jack. Plug a new phone line into the jack and your computer. This should help. If you need some help doing this, ask the kid at the Lowe's to tell you how to do it. If he does not know, tell the manager to hire someone that can do more than help you look for things.:D

SintonFan
09-29-2004, 12:15 PM
It was Verizon. Now, it's SBC Global.
Do you live in Jasper?

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 12:16 PM
:D

PPHSfan
09-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Do you live in Jasper?

I thought Wichita Kansas was the Air Capital of the World.:D

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Do you live in Jasper?

No. Wichita, KS.

SintonFan
09-29-2004, 12:19 PM
No. Wichita, KS.
I'll be back and have some options for you.
It's luchtime.;)

SintonFan
09-29-2004, 01:34 PM
No. Wichita, KS.
Ok, on your connectoid(geek term for DUN(geek term for the connection thingy:D )) if you are using 316 522-0118 for your access number the fastest connection you can have is 33.6.
The 56K connection number is 316 522-0118.
When you change the connection number you don't need any dashes or spaces.
If you are already using the higher speed no. then we have a few more options we can try.
BTW, how long is the cord that is connected from the wall jack to the back of your computer?

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Ok, on your connectoid(geek term for DUN(geek term for the connection thingy:D )) if you are using 316 522-0118 for your access number the fastest connection you can have is 33.6.
The 56K connection number is 316 522-0118.
When you change the connection number you don't need any dashes or spaces.
If you are already using the higher speed no. then we have a few more options we can try.
BTW, how long is the cord that is connected from the wall jack to the back of your computer?

:eek: How'd you find that out??? :eek:

I don't remember what the phone number is. I'll have to check when I get home. Did you realize you typed the same number for the 33.6 and the 56K?

How long? I'm not too sure. It's not one of those "drag-the-phone-across-the-room" cords, though. I'd say 3-5 feet, maybe.

SintonFan
09-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Goodness, I didn't even notice!:eek:
Here is the link for the website I found.
access numbers (http://public.swbell.net/cgi-bin/findpops.cgi)
Well, having the same numbers could be a big problem.
That size phone cord is perfect.
If I can't find any more numbers call SBC and have them give you ALL the local numbers. Insist on it. When I last talked to a SBC tech a few weeks ago they were having big problems with their dial-up networks.
One more thing spivey, 26.4 is not a true connect speed. It's hard to actually get a true connect speed with all the WINmodems and all, nowadays.

SintonFan
09-29-2004, 01:55 PM
spivey, I have to get back to work and will be back on this early evening. We'll get this problem solved.:)

SintonFan
09-29-2004, 01:56 PM
PM me your ph. no and zip code and I can research more fully your access numbers. I promise I won't sell them to telemarketers.;)

SintonFan
09-29-2004, 06:32 PM
spivey, give me about an hour(I have to cook and research something for you) and I'll contact you.:)

cdlvj
09-30-2004, 11:25 AM

The $318 is outrageous. You should be able to get a free self install kit, pretty simple to set up.
And don't buy the BS of the provider setting up a network for you.
Some of them even charge a monthly fee to be on a wireless network.

Checkout Earthlink or some other providers, A good dialup is Everyones internet if available.

jason
09-30-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by cdlvj

A good dialup is Everyones internet if available. :confused: :doh: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

cdlvj
09-30-2004, 11:40 AM

You can use all computers even on a dialup. You have to be networked.

Each computer has a network card, which is cabled using cat5 to a router.

You can go wireless with a Cable/DSL router, and each computer has either a wireless card, or USB NIC.

Two ways of connecting to the internet. One computer dedicated for the connection via modem or the Cable/DSL modem, and Windoz has a special program to direct all the other requests. Means that this computer has to be on for the others to get internet.

The Cable/DSL router is a much better option as it does all the routing to the internet.

The router runs about $30, and each device can be had for $20 on sale. There are two protocols, the older stuff and the new 802g which is much faster, but also more expensive.

Ranger Mom
09-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by cdlvj

Checkout Earthlink or some other providers, A good dialup is Everyones internet if available.

That's the problem....i don't WANT dial-up!! I HATE IT!!!!