PDA

View Full Version : cheerleaders

gobbler_fan04
09-28-2004, 10:20 PM
who feels cheerleaders really help you out during the game and how many of you just see them as a distraction? cuz i kno quite a few cheerleaders are just out there 2 b closer to you guys..

Bandera YaYa
09-28-2004, 10:22 PM
All I can say, is that cheerleading ain't what it used to be!! :eek:

Ranger Mom
09-28-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
All I can say, is that cheerleading ain't what it used to be!! :eek:

Amen Sister!!

Green Ranger
09-28-2004, 10:26 PM
Depends on what kind of cheerleader you are talking about and there are two types. There is the type that cheers just to be near the guys and don't know what there doing. Then there are those who take what they do seriously and can tumble and those are the cheerleaders who in my eyes are better athletes than some football players I have seen. So cheerleaders can be both annoying at the same time if they do their job right can be very helpful.

PPHSfan
09-28-2004, 10:38 PM
I think it is what the cheerleaders do away from the game during the week, with the pep rallys and decorations that makes the biggest difference in the way the boys play.

At the game, I think they are there to perform for the crowd....just like the boys.

Bandera YaYa
09-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Amen Sister!!
I swear, most of the time. ours don't know who has the ball....they are way too busy talking about the parties after the games and who broke up with who!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
And why do they go around getting donations for camp.......when they use the same old cheers year after year......???????

Keith7
09-28-2004, 10:49 PM
The cookies the cheerleaders made always helped me out about 3rd period.. my stomach always started growling then

Bandera YaYa
09-28-2004, 10:50 PM
True...they do make good cookies!! :D

CHS_DT#75
09-28-2004, 11:25 PM
bandera... why dont you lead the cheerleaders then!!!!

dawgmom
09-29-2004, 12:39 AM
I swear, most of the time. ours don't know who has the ball....they are way too busy talking about the parties after the games and who broke up with who!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
And why do they go around getting donations for camp.......when they use the same old cheers year after year......???????

So, So, So, true. I get so aggravated at games when for example, our team is on offense, and you hear the cheerleaders doing a defensive cheer. Or when we are on offense, 4th down, and they are trying to get the crowd really loud!!! I think all cheerleaders need basic classes in the sports they are cheering for. They need to understand what is going on and not be only worried about the little bows in their hair! Good thing I am not their sponsor! They would actually be working!

GoDeep
09-29-2004, 01:17 AM
I was at a school that didnt have them once. It wasn't the same. But, I think they should know their place, just like the band. There are cheerleading competitions and band concerts where they are in the spotlight. But, Friday night is about football.

3afan
09-29-2004, 02:20 AM
distraction ....

bullfrog_alumni_02
09-29-2004, 04:43 AM
well i know the cheer leaders at LW do most of their stuff right, they pay attention and do different cheers, for the most part. the two games i saw them cheer, they did a pretty good job from what i saw, also my little sister is on the varsity squad this year, shes a sophomore, so when shes a senior she'll have all the in and outs down and more than likely be the captain of the squad.

bullfrog_alumni_02
09-29-2004, 04:47 AM
i forgot to say, as a football player, i never payed attention to them, but as a spectator, they help out the team(which still doesnt pay attention to them)

3afan
09-29-2004, 05:57 AM
if the teams pays them no attention, how are they helping ??? :confused:

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 06:25 AM
True...they do make good cookies!! :D

I'll bet their mommies make 'em.

LH Panther Mom
09-29-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
if the teams pays them no attention, how are they helping ??? :confused:

Well, who else is going to hold the banner up for the players to run through? :)

PPHSfan
09-29-2004, 06:55 AM
Cheerleaders are an important part of Friday night. Yall leave them alone. Next you will be wanting to get rid of Frito Pie and Dr Pepper.

3afan
09-29-2004, 07:46 AM
i'm not allowed to have Frito Pie :(

PPHSfan
09-29-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
i'm not allowed to have Frito Pie :(

Your not allowed to have sharp instruments either, but just take your plastic spoon and cup of yogurt and be happy.:)

bullfrog_alumni_02
09-29-2004, 08:05 AM
the football team doesnt pay any attention to anyone but the field, to answer your question 3afan, i dont think anyone on any field anywhere does. he keeps his head in the game where it needs to be.

dawgmom
09-29-2004, 11:12 AM
I don't think cheerleaders should be done away with. I just think that cheerleading should be more than a popularity and beauty contest. I think they should be judged at tryouts on their sports knowledge, as well as athleticism and cheer ability. In other words, I think they should know what is going on in the particular sport they are cheering for, whether it is football, basketball, baseball, or whatever! I don't care who they are, or what they look like, as long as they can get the crowd behind the team! That just adds to the enjoyment of the game.

Bandera YaYa
09-29-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Cheerleaders are an important part of Friday night. Yall leave them alone. Next you will be wanting to get rid of Frito Pie and Dr Pepper. I didn't say I wanted them gone......I like having them....I just wish they paid more attention to what they were there for. I like it when they get the crowd going.....but doing a "defense" cheer when we have the ball is just unacceptable !!! Come on girls!!! :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

spiveyrat
09-29-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by dawgmom
I don't care who they are, or what they look like, as long as they can get the crowd behind the team! That just adds to the enjoyment of the game.

I'm thinking mascots do a better job of that than do the cheerleaders.

CheerMom
09-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Our cheerleaders are not selected by popular vote. They all draw numbers and go in sets of three in front of UCA cheerleaders. No one else is allowed to watch the judging other than the three girls in the group. I think this is a very fair way of doing it. This way the girls with the athletic ability are picked versus someone who is popular.
Our cheerleaders also do an excellant job of trying to get and keep the crowd in the game.
Alot of times they become frustrated with lack of fan participation.

handNthedirt
09-29-2004, 11:27 AM
If a player is paying attention to the cheerleaders during a game, he needs to be flogged and drug through the streets!!! There is no room for hidden agendas, especially when the Friday night lights are on!

dawgmom
09-29-2004, 11:34 AM
I didn't say I wanted them gone......I like having them....I just wish they paid more attention to what they were there for. I like it when they get the crowd going.....but doing a "defense" cheer when we have the ball is just unacceptable !!! Come on girls!!! :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

This is EXACTLY what I am talking about.

dawgmom
09-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I'm thinking mascots do a better job of that than do the cheerleaders. For the most part, you are 100% correct, as long as you have a very energetic mascot. But at the same time, you have to have a crowd willing to get into it and cheer as well! So this is really a two-way street. As far as the players go, No, do not worry about what the cheerleaders are doing. DO YOUR JOB!!!

Ranger Mom
09-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Our cheerleaders try out before judges also. The judges get 50% of the vote, teachers 40%, student body 10%.

I have to admit, the past few years our cheerleaders have been great...they know what's going on out on the field and try their very hardest to get the crowd pumped up!

My gripe has always been with the "fair-weather" fans and not the cheerleaders!:mad:

PPHSfan
09-29-2004, 11:40 AM
It's not the cheerleaders you have to watch out for. It's those cheerleader moms that are wacko.:D

Ranger Mom
09-29-2004, 11:43 AM
It's not the cheerleaders you have to watch out for. It's those cheerleader moms that are wacko.:D

I used to be one of those, so I am not even gonna touch that one!

PPHSfan
09-29-2004, 11:51 AM
You know the ones I am talking about. They drive Suburbans and hit the booster club up for gas money.:D

CS_WILDCATS
09-29-2004, 11:58 AM
I have no problem with cheerleaders. They have there role in the game, whether its keeping girls intrested in the action or even some of the younger kids. The biggest problem I have is with male cheerleaders. I guess I'm old school but male cheerleaders have to go. Also, a couple of weeks back I saw a guy in the drill dance team. This dude was wearing the tight spandex and doing the high kicks - the whole bit. This has to go too. Also the waterboys should be boys. Thats why they're called waterBOYS not girls. I think girl waterboys or trainers tend to distract they players and not keep them focused on the game. - Like I said I guess I'm kinda old school.

CheerMom
09-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Hey you better watch out who you're calling WHACKO!!:D

PPHSfan
09-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by CheerMom
Hey you better watch out who you're calling WHACKO!!:D
If the shoe fits.
:D :D :p :p :D :D

dawgmom
09-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Careful....I drive a suburban!!!
As for the girl waterboys...I think I agree with you. Most of the female training personnel I have seen are not in it for the training. They are just there to be close to their boyfriends! They have to be screamed at numerous times to take the boys water. Just seems unnatural to me!

Keith7
09-29-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I'll bet their mommies make 'em.

yes they do! I seen them make them.. they always come out extra crispy tho

Ranger Mom
09-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by dawgmom
Careful....I drive a suburban!!!
As for the girl waterboys...I think I agree with you. Most of the female training personnel I have seen are not in it for the training. They are just there to be close to their boyfriends! They have to be screamed at numerous times to take the boys water. Just seems unnatural to me!

WOW...Double Whammy!!

I drive a suburban and my daughter is a student trainer...she loves ALL aspects of it.

This is her second year and the poster Green Ranger was the head trainer the last 2 years ( he went to a 4-A school this year) - and he would disagree with that also.

MHSvarsity2007
09-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Y'alls school is totally differant than ours. Ours is around 45% Student Votes, 35% Judges Votes, and 20% teachers. Which I think is way wrong. It's basically who has "been" with the most guys or popularity votes. I wish it was different.:(

Sirsnagsalot
09-29-2004, 06:03 PM
chearleader's are fine...it's their attitudes that gets to me. They dont understand that the only reason they are out there is because of football...and CHEARLEADING IS NOT A SPORT

chs_cheer06
09-29-2004, 08:46 PM

Maybe you should come over to Caldwell and watch our cheerleaders... Who WON camp champs for the past 3 or 4 years and who RECEIVED a national bid this year! We actually could tell you what is going on during the football game...

crabman jr.
09-29-2004, 08:55 PM
what % of the cheerleaders at your HS are h***?

id say 50/50 at ours

That's it, you're outta here!

chs_cheer06
09-29-2004, 08:57 PM
When the student body gets most of the say so that is just plain stupid... Our teachers do get a say so though... They get the say so as to who they think should try out meaning teacher recommendations... Our cheer sponsor sends out a piece of paper to 9 teachers (7 are the teachers of your class you take) and 2 of your choice... then if you do not receive more than 5 recommendations you're not aloud to try out... Once you've got a piece of paper saying you can try out ... it is infront of 4 NCA judges... No one is aloud to be in there other than a school board member and the judges... you do a cheer by yourself that you learned at the 3 day camp held by the seniors which is mandatory and then you do a chant and a dance with 2 other people.. that is all you do...including the tumble and jump during the cheer..... then it is nothing but what the judges think... the top 12 get chosen for varsity and then 8 for jv.
I personally think that is why we have a very good cheer squad... this year over half of our squad received a nomination of All-American and camp and 4 girls received the All-American title including our mascot...
Cheerleading is a very big resposibility... and if you just sit around at football games and talk and not know who has the ball and whos offense or defense then you dont need to be out there on the track cheering because that is not a CHEERleader.... hints the name CHEERLEADER... you lead the crowd in cheers...

sorry it was soo long! i do apologize!

PPHSfan
09-29-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by crabman jr.
what % of the cheerleaders at your HS are h***?

id say 50/50 at ours

That's it, you're outta here!

Well I guess I don't need to make him a sig now huh?

sinton66
09-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Well I guess I don't need to make him a sig now huh?
Guess not.

bigpimpin
09-29-2004, 10:06 PM
Cheerleaders round here practice almost as hard and they practice for a pretty long time and when they ain't practicing, they're at tumbling or gym. Only one time have I ever seen a really overweight cheerleader....it was an away game. Cheerleading may not be a sport, but they've got to be pretty dang good athletes to be able to do what they do. Gotta respect em...and I do like the way they work it:cool:

Bullaholic
09-29-2004, 10:14 PM
If a kid wears his/her school colors in any endeavor, they are deserving of our support. There should be no jealousy or friction between any school groups....they all have their place and rights to exist. The kids always seem to do just fine, its the parents who seem to magnify the problems. It's up to us to lead by example and always "Walk our Talk" in the presence of our children.

shankbear
09-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Buy 'em books...send 'em to school and all they do is eat the covers. Glad he is GONE. Lessons are hard to learn for some people.

Bandera YaYa
09-29-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by chs_cheer06
Maybe you should come over to Caldwell and watch our cheerleaders... Who WON camp champs for the past 3 or 4 years and who RECEIVED a national bid this year! We actually could tell you what is going on during the football game... I think that is awesome....but when my youngest daughter was in HS, many of the girls made the squad and then didn't want to do anything......they did cheers half heartedly, didn't show up for BBgames and forget Baseball games!! They only wanted it for it's so called [COLOR=deeppink]"social status".....and it sure showed during the year. Of course they had a sponser that allowed them to run all over her!! I'm not saying all squads are bad...I have seen some really good ones over the years!! YIKES!!! sorry about the orange!!!

dawgmom
09-30-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
WOW...Double Whammy!!

I drive a suburban and my daughter is a student trainer...she loves ALL aspects of it.

This is her second year and the poster Green Ranger was the head trainer the last 2 years ( he went to a 4-A school this year) - and he would disagree with that also.

I apologize for implying that all female student trainers were not worth a hoot. I guess I should specify that the only ones I have really had a chance to see in action attend JISD. I wanted to be a trainer when I was in HS, and now I am a nurse. If you love it, it can lead to great things!

chs_cheer06
09-30-2004, 04:20 PM
[COLOR=tomato]I think that is awesome....but when my youngest daughter was in HS, many of the girls made the squad and then didn't want to do anything......they did cheers half heartedly, didn't show up for BBgames and forget Baseball games!! They only wanted it for it's so called [COLOR=deeppink]"social status".....and it sure showed during the year. Of course they had a sponser that allowed them to run all over her!! I'm not saying all squads are bad...I have seen some really good ones over the years!!

Yes all schools have problems with girls who make the squad not want to participate... but here... if you don't want to participate then you don't have a right to be on the squad.... ITS A PRIVILAGE TO BE A CHEERLEADER!! Here in Caldwell we cheer at ALL sports activities except for tennis, cross country and track because that is a little hard to.... but other than that we support our teams.... but yes i do have to say from a being a cheerleder it has changed over the past 6 years(which is how long i've been a cheerleader)....

District303aPastPlayer
09-30-2004, 04:46 PM
cheerleading is a sport. i can tell you right now that there are some girls on our cheerleading squad in sinton who are better athletes than some of the guys on the field. I know one of the girls on the sinton squad might be the best pure athlete in the school... that being said, GO Pirates....

oh yeah... STUDENT SECTION is a must. i must say that sinton has 2 guys that dress up, as well as the volleyball team that dresses up... now if more students did this it would be cool!