PDA

View Full Version : No Huddle Pros and Cons.

EAGLETOWN
09-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Just out of curiosity what does everyone think of the no huddle offense and what kind of offense does your school run.

The reason I ask is for information purposes.

I would like to be able to understand its mechanics better.

So if any other schools and I know Rice, H-J and Crockett now run it give me, us some feed back.

shankbear
09-28-2004, 06:42 PM
Jasper runs a modified version of the no huddle. Works pretty good for them. They get a few more delay calls as the biggest drawback. I know their left guard stands and watches the play call from the sideline generally. Not sure how it gets to the other down linemen. And the count..it is either on sound or on the same count all the time.

Ranger05
09-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Greenwood runs the wishbone and I formation. but sometimes will run the no huddle offense havent really done it much last couple of years but we will sometimes do it to catch the other team off gaurd

PPHSfan
09-28-2004, 06:49 PM
Biggest Pro: It keeps the opposing defensive off guard.

Biggest Con: It keep your own defense from getting the rest it needs.

shsu62
09-28-2004, 08:01 PM
You can get into your formation and then see how they are going to line up before you decide what play to run. This type of no huddle can actually take longer than huddling.

j_dog
09-28-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by shsu62
You can get into your formation and then see how they are going to line up before you decide what play to run. This type of no huddle can actually take longer than huddling.
Yes, it can take much longer. Back when Jasper first started using the no huddle, their first games seemed to take until around 11 o'clock to finish.

slpybear the bullfan
09-28-2004, 11:21 PM
The Bulls run the no huddle.... they line up in formation... the backs and receivers all get the signals sent in from the sidlines... the QB calls a signal to tell the line what to do... and they are off and running...

PPHSfan
09-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
The Bulls run the no huddle.... they line up in formation... the backs and receivers all get the signals sent in from the sidlines... the QB calls a signal to tell the line what to do... and they are off and running...

It was a thing of beauty when Daugherty was there.

shankbear
09-28-2004, 11:23 PM
were you at BC vs. Jasper the other night? The dawgs got flagged several times for delay of game. It could hurt them in the future.

shankbear
09-28-2004, 11:24 PM
I have seen THE HILL run it for some time and they do it pretty well. Time gets them but they wear the defense out.

EAGLETOWN
09-29-2004, 07:10 AM
What kind of formations do the teams typically run we kind of run like a vier or QB shotgun with one back.

3afan
09-29-2004, 07:47 AM
i think the only advantage is not allowing the defense to sub - most of 'em take the entire play clock to get the play & get it off anyway so huddle/no huddle is not a huge factor IMO

scrub c
09-29-2004, 08:05 AM
bh runs more of a "call it at the line" without getting into a huddle.
They will sub some kids in and out, but they line up in a formation as soon as the ball is set and wait for a call from the coaches after the coach sees the defense.

Roll'em up
09-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by shankbear
Jasper runs a modified version of the no huddle. Works pretty good for them. They get a few more delay calls as the biggest drawback. I know their left guard stands and watches the play call from the sideline generally. Not sure how it gets to the other down linemen. And the count..it is either on sound or on the same count all the time.

There usually isn't a count in the spread no huddle. They usually just go on the center's snap. Each player should see the ball.

Roll'em up
09-29-2004, 09:15 AM
One con to the no huddle is just as the offense gets to see the defensive alignment, the defense gets to see the offensive alignment for a much longer period of time. If the kids have been taught what to expect from a certain formation it could provide plenty of time for their thought processes to take place. It also allows the defense to give one look and change once the offense makes it's change.

Junkyard
09-29-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by shankbear
were you at BC vs. Jasper the other night? The dawgs got flagged several times for delay of game. It could hurt them in the future.

This is the biggest gripe I have about the Jasper offense is that they do get more delay of games than they should.

But when you call a play and then change it it just takes some time for all the translations.

tmac
09-29-2004, 10:18 AM
i think decaturs air attack helps them perfect the no huddle

dawgmom
09-29-2004, 11:26 AM
My biggest complaint about Jasper's offensive scheme is the attempts at a hard count to draw the defense offsides. It rarely seems to work, and then we are faced with trying to get in another play and we end up with delay penalties. Why can't we have the second play already called and just go right to it when the hard count doesn't work? I think our boys are smart enough for that? Just my 2cents worth.....

BHtheHILL
09-29-2004, 01:33 PM
I think the hill boys do pretty good with the no huddle offense, especially against teams that we have not played before. Now that I know who you are Eagletown I ain't gonna cut you any slack!!

Hupernikomen
09-29-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by dawgmom
My biggest complaint about Jasper's offensive scheme is the attempts at a hard count to draw the defense offsides. It rarely seems to work, and then we are faced with trying to get in another play and we end up with delay penalties. Why can't we have the second play already called and just go right to it when the hard count doesn't work? I think our boys are smart enough for that? Just my 2cents worth.....

Dawgmom the reason that they fake the snap is twofold:
1. To keep the defense guessing. The make them key up for the play and then relax..that is frustrating and can be used to catch them offguard at some point.
2. To give the coaches time to see the defensive scheme.

That leads to why they can't just have two plays ready because they don't know what play to call until they get a glance at the defense alignment.

AggieJohn
09-29-2004, 01:38 PM
You can shut down an no huddle easily if your stadium is loud (ex. Kyle Field, Aggies vs. Clemson)

Hupernikomen
09-29-2004, 01:40 PM
not BHs if they still do it like they used to, they never had a count just went up and the qb "goosed" the center and they went. no snap count.

Underwater Basketweaver
09-29-2004, 01:44 PM
I think the no huddle is the smartest football innovation since the forward pass. How can you argue with South Lake's success? Decatur is very well organized with it as well. Never see delay penalties. Rarely use much of the 25 sec clock for that matter. Seems to work best with the spread, but it could work for any.