PDA

View Full Version : Running up the score in district play...

Gobbla2001
09-28-2004, 05:39 PM
How do you guys feel about this...

Remember... 3rd place ties are decided by a points system, meaning running up or not running up the score can decide whether or not you make the playoffs...

PPHSfan
09-28-2004, 05:40 PM
I think the cut off is 20 points if I am not mistaken, so running it past 20 is useless.

pavilion
09-28-2004, 05:43 PM
regardless of running up the score or not, the starters need to get used to playing a whole game so they'll be in shape for it when playoffs come around... otherwise you'll be relying on backups to win the game for you... cuero has a lot of depth but its better if they're starters could play a full game... during district teams should run up the score as much as possible... winning district is for bragging rights... would you rather win by 50 or 5... i know the answer is 50... anyways the starters need to get their stats up so they can be all-state....

jason
09-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by pavilion
anyways the starters need to get their stats up so they can be all-state.... you had a good point until that comment....

...i thought you were ROM....

pavilion
09-28-2004, 05:49 PM
i was joking about getting their stats up... what made you think i was ROM?

Keith7
09-28-2004, 05:52 PM
I like running up the score so we don't have arguements like "Since team A only won by 14 points, but team B won by 35, Team B must be better"

but from a moral stand point, its just wrong

sometimes teams cant help but run up the score either..
my senior year we were playing whiteboro and the score was like 53-0 in the middle of the 3rd quarter, and the 2nd team was already in, but our 2nd team had Terrius on it, and he scored another long run, and then our 3rd team defense had 2 interceptions in the 4th quarter ran back for touchdowns,

We even kneeled down an extra point to try to keep from running up the score!!!

the score ended up being 74-0

PPHSfan
09-28-2004, 05:56 PM
You like running up the score because you are from Gainesville:D

Keith7
09-28-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
You like running up the score because you are from Gainesville:D

That is also a good point

shsu62
09-28-2004, 06:15 PM
It is a football game. You shouldnt have to worry about hurting someones feelings or anything. I mean dont run any reverses or other trick plays but district is not the time to back down. You have obligations to get your team ready for the playoffs so they need all the work they can in order to be prepared. Nothing wrong with playing backups either and if they score well then that is just the problem the other team needs to deal with

GoDeep
09-28-2004, 09:33 PM
When one team has obviously outclassed the other, then yes, it is wrong to run up the score. When both teams are pretty good and it has been a somewhat evenly matched game, then leave the starters in. If you dont want them to score, then stop'em.

3afan
09-28-2004, 09:35 PM
I believe each district decides their own tie breaking procedures ....

bb04
09-28-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by shsu62
It is a football game. You shouldnt have to worry about hurting someones feelings or anything. I mean dont run any reverses or other trick plays but district is not the time to back down. You have obligations to get your team ready for the playoffs so they need all the work they can in order to be prepared. Nothing wrong with playing backups either and if they score well then that is just the problem the other team needs to deal with

i agree, but with leaving your starters in you take the chance of having them injured and missing playoffs

Chief Woodman
09-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by bb04
i agree, but with leaving your starters in you take the chance of having them injured and missing playoffs
Sounds familar.......

PPHSfan
09-28-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
Sounds familar.......

Yea,

And in a town like Decatur that would mean sudden death in the playoffs. Dane and Christian are great players, so much so that I am afraid without them, Decatur is mediocre at best.

Please don't take this the wrong way.

shsu62
09-28-2004, 10:22 PM
I understand not leaving your starters in. Cheif Woodman and I can both date back to my senior year when it comes to that subject. But there is a fine line between getting to much work in and not enough for the starters. But it is football and it is a game of injuries. They just happen sometimes. I had never been hurt until a few weeks before this season and a freak injury has kept me out till this time. Made it through middle school high school, my redshirt year then right before i finally get to play-out for about 10 weeks. Thats just the way it goes

texasjeremy
09-28-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I think the cut off is 20 points if I am not mistaken, so running it past 20 is useless.

I think it 18 points.

exbccards76'smom
09-29-2004, 05:36 AM
Years ago, I remember a game between Orangefield and Kountze. Orangefield beat Kountze 99-0.

bullfrog_alumni_02
09-29-2004, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by exbccards76'smom
Years ago, I remember a game between Orangefield and Kountze. Orangefield beat Kountze 99-0. talk about a blow out!!!:eek:

WOS92
09-29-2004, 07:39 AM
WO-S beat PA Lincoln 84-0 a few years back.

pancho villa
09-29-2004, 07:59 AM
Score as many as you can!
It is the other teams job to stop you.

texasjeremy
09-29-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by WOS92
WO-S beat PA Lincoln 84-0 a few years back.

Back in the 90's, Sealy beat Newton 82-6 IN THE PLAYOFFS.

LH Panther Mom
09-29-2004, 09:26 PM
I know when I was in 7th or 8th grade, we lived in Amherst & played Springlake-Earth. They beat us 82-0. At the time, I believe they were class A and we were class B. It wasn't district play, just the nastiest butt whupping I ever remember - they left the starters in the entire game.

CHS_Grad '85
09-29-2004, 09:55 PM
Sometimes - even if the starters are taken out - the 2nd & 3rd string is so happy about getting to play they end up scoring cos they finally can... it's a hard pill to swallow but what can the coach do other than to call the game...

Keith7
09-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
Back in the 90's, Sealy beat Newton 82-6 IN THE PLAYOFFS.

we beat Paris North Lamar 56-13 my senior year in the playoffs.. they scored the last 2 touchdowns in the last 2 minutes of the game

SintonFan
09-29-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by shsu62
I agree with you on this. An analogy please...
The reason why dodgeball has been taken out of schools is because too many parents won't take the time to teach their children that losing is a 'part of life'.
On a team level, it's close to this. Like you said, if the other team is running trick plays to RUN UP the score, that will be seen as poor sportsmanship and denounced.

scrub c
09-30-2004, 07:44 AM
I say score as many as you can, period.

Run your offense and make them stop it.
no tricks of course.

mwynn05
09-30-2004, 07:47 AM
I think you have to give the backups a good amount of time you have to bring those gouys along because you might need them the next week