PDA

View Full Version : A game to remember for years to come

MARLINFAN
08-27-2003, 06:41 PM
Bulldogs Prove To Be A

Menace In Ennis!
(A Good Nighter by Wrighter)

A weekend of upsets, stunners you name it - it all happened. On Saturday Baylor beats Kansas to notch their first Big 12 win in 29 tries. In College Station the Aggies are upset by the Texas Tech Red Raiders in overtime. In the baseball playoffs, the Yankees are knocked out by the lowest paid franchise, Minnesota Twins and the St. Louis Cardinals take out the defending World Series Champions - the Arizona Diamondbacks. And on Friday night the number one 5A team, the Lufkin Panthers (last year's Division II State Champions) are defeated AND……

In the biggest stunner of them all - The Marlin Bulldogs scoring a remarkable upset of the states top ranked 4 A two time defending State Champion Ennis Lions - IN Ennis ON Homecoming!

This game will be remembered and talked about for a long time folks and there are so many "heroes" on the bulldog team and coaching staff. But let's just say it was an all out effort and playing with a lot of heart by all the bulldog players that led to this huge victory. Now lets recap the game…

The bulldogs won the toss and elected to receive the ball and things started off with a bang. On their first play from scrimmage, Bulldog running back Tank Smith busted through the right side of the Ennis defense and ran 50 yards deep into Lion territory. The Bulldogs would get to the three- yard line but came away empty as the Lion defense held.

Ennis then took over on their first offensive series and behind quarterback, Graham Harrell they moved down the field mixing the pass and the run. With 3:15 remaining in the first quarter, Harrell found a wide-open Jarvis Woodson in the end zone, on a busted coverage play by the bulldogs, for a touchdown. Chris Copeland added the point after to give Ennis an early 7-0 lead.

How do you spell D-E-F-E-N-S-E? That's what the bulldogs brought to the table in this one folks. The Bulldogs forced four huge turnovers and each one was very costly for the Lions. Read on….

Turnover #1 - In the second quarter, a fumble recovery by Mark Jimenez leads to a one-yard touchdown run by Tank Smith with 1:54 remaining in the first half. Daniel Ronquillo's point after ties the game at seven.

But the Lions came right back with under two minutes to play in the half, they take the ensuing kickoff and move downfield with ease before settling for a 17-yard field goal by Copeland with eleven seconds remaining and take a 10-7 lead to the lockers at halftime.

The Marlin faithful were impressed and optimistic as our Bulldogs were within three points with the powerful Lions.

The third quarter told two stories. The Bulldogs managed to touch the ball only once and it didn't turn out to good. A fumble in the end zone led to a safety for Ennis to give them a 12-7 lead. BUT the good part about this quarter that was totally controlled by the Lions is that that's all they got - 2 points! That folks says a lot about your DEFENSE!

And once again the defense would set up the go- ahead touchdown midway through the fourth quarter. Ennis was driving for an apparent touchdown and had reached the Bulldog three when - TURNOVER # 2 occurred - D'Nerian Wrighter (remember that name folks, he had an awesome game) recovers a fumble and the Lion drive was stopped. Then the Bulldogs drove down field on a 16-play 97-yard drive with Tank scoring his second touchdown of the night on the last play of the drive with 6:41 to play. The try for two was no good BUT the Dogs were up 13-12 and everyone was standing on the Bulldog side!

On the ensuing kickoff the bulldogs surprised everyone, especially the Lions with an on-side pooch kick that bulldog Mical Roberts caught in the air at the Lion 40! The dogs were ecstatic! Unfortunately no points came out of this drive and the ball went back to the Lions as their defense held and forced the Dogs to punt.

Then came TURNOVER # 3 - The Good Nighter by Wrighter play! With 4:05 remaining in the game, "D" stepped in front of a Harrell pass, turned on his after burners and returned it 45-yards for a touchdown! Ronquillo added the point after to make it 20-12 Bulldogs and leaving the Ennis sidelines stunned to say the least.

Ennis now down by eight, needed a touchdown and a two-point conversion to tie the game. Quarterback, Harrell was a one-man show on this drive. He ran for 30 yards and passed for 20 more yards as the Lions moved to the Bulldog 22 - yard line. Then once more the defense rose to the occasion. TURNOVER # 4 - Red Richardson picks off a Harrell pass at the goal line to seal the Bulldogs stunning upset win over the Lions.

On the night Tank Smith was the Dog leading rusher with 88 yards on 15 carries and two touchdowns. Quarterback Thaddeus Freeman rushed 18 times for 42 yards while passing 10 times hitting on five for 103 yards. But the stat of the night folks - listen to this - 19 tackles, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery, two pass break-ups, a 45-yard interception for a touchdown AND three catches for 79 yards! That folks was #4, - D'Nerian Wrighter!

And to quote head coach Jerry Malone on this game, "I don't know if I ever could have imagined this…This is the greatest win in my 12 years at Marlin. Shoot, this is the greatest win in my 32 years of coaching."

landries
08-27-2003, 06:44 PM
good luck trieing to beat the marlin belvile game of '02.

theyoefnshow
08-27-2003, 07:22 PM
True dat. Stop living on the past glory, it's time for all of us to look into this season and get ready to bust some @sses!

MARLINFAN
08-27-2003, 10:20 PM
i wasnt living in the past i was bored and just posted something to get a response. well dont worry bout us trying to beat bellville this year because its a new year and anything can happen. plus in a lot of eyes wrighter caught the ball in the endzone . the ref that was onside of them said td while the one from the other side ofthe field said no td. but anyways we lost and its a new year so u can say whatever

Rabbit'93
08-28-2003, 01:12 AM
That win marks on of the biggest upset in high school history IMO. I never knew much about Marlin until then. I think that's pretty awesome.

KL3
08-28-2003, 02:12 PM
Damn, MARLINFAN, are you ever going to give it up? Marlin DID NOT beat Bellville. Bellville WON the game. I swear, you people will go to your graves thinking about that game. "In a lot of eyes Wrighter caught the ball in the endzone" Whose eyes? Marlin's fans' eyes? The people who were hundreds of feet away from the play? I'm gonna go ahead and listen to the referee who was a couple of yards away. Why don't you accept the fact that yall got BEAT and focus on this year.

marlin fan
08-28-2003, 05:00 PM
MARLINFAN dont even reply to this post just leave it alone lol :mad:

hornsfootball
08-28-2003, 08:18 PM
I have seen film from that game, and no Wrighter (even though he is a stud) did not catch that ball in the endzone. Trust me. Now let's put the fiction to rest and focus on reality.. It was a great game to be remembered for years that either team could have won, but Bellville won it fair and square. PERIOD!!

KL3
08-28-2003, 11:56 PM
Sorry, I just have to post one more thing on this topic. It probably wouldn't have never come down to that final play if Bellville's best player (LB Dornon), would not have gotten injured in the first game and missed the whole season. Ok, I think marlin fans get the point.

District303aPastPlayer
08-29-2003, 12:40 AM
if the fate of your team lies on one player, you should not a) make the playoffs, b) brag about ANY win, and c) say anything remotely close to what your last post read.

There is no I in team, as cliche as it is.. but honestly... the fate of a single season on one kid... give me a break