PDA

View Full Version : Dist. 3- why doesn't Presidio play f-ball?

sic'em
09-28-2004, 02:06 PM
i noticed presidio is a basketball only school- why don't they play football? is it because of distance costs? i bet a lamesa/presidio basketball game is the furthest district drive in the state. (crane to anthony, sanderson to dell city, amarillo to san angelo central are prob pretty close) anyway, i was down there about two months ago and saw their football stadium. it was kept up like it was being played on. i was just wondering. thanks

Ranger Mom
09-28-2004, 02:11 PM
They have been in our district for the past few years....in 2002 they only had enough kids in HS suit up to field one team...most of the kids were underclassmen so they just had a JV team.

Before the 2003 season, Presidio decided to drop the football program because of lack of participation. The interest just wasn't there!

I guess they play basketball and baseball...not sure about the girls sports!

kaorder1999
09-28-2004, 02:14 PM
i just cant imagine a 3a texas school not having a football team. that is just rediculous

Phil C
09-28-2004, 02:18 PM
They better be careful if there are no girls sports or someone might get a Title 12 complaint there. :)

sic'em
09-28-2004, 02:22 PM
their website says that they have volleyball, so i guess they just don't play football. they are one of four 3a schools that doesn't play football. the others are pharr valley view, lufkin hudson and pollock central. i just found it weird that they kept up the field and all. it prob costs serious $$$ to make green grass down there.

kaorder1999
09-28-2004, 02:24 PM
im guessing that they also do not have volleyball....i thought Title 9 says that equal opportunities had to be given to both sexes. For instance...since football is offered to males, volleyball or another sport has to be offered to females. Pole vault for a while wasnt offered to the males so the 4x200 was offered to females. Now that pole vault is offered to females the 4x200 is now offered to males. SO ON AND SO ON

lobo12
09-28-2004, 02:28 PM
when they did have teams they were normally only freshmen and sophomores playing on varsity and never won any games and also were getting beat by 50 to 60 points so i guess they didnt see the need to continue playing, but they have great basketball and baseball teams, both of them will be competing for the distric title

sic'em
09-28-2004, 02:35 PM
i just thought of how ignorant my statement about watering the grass is. the thing is about a mile from the river. i figured i would call myself out before someone else did.

Johnny Moxen
09-29-2004, 11:05 AM
There's a school close to Abilene (Eula 2A) that doesn't have football. I can't imagine going to a school that doesn't have football. I guess if they have any kids interested they must go over to Clyde.

PPHSfan
09-29-2004, 11:35 AM
There are more.

Krum does not play football.

Strike Fast
09-29-2004, 11:47 AM
The head coach from Pharr Valley View had asked me to come down and coach there because they were going to start a Varsity Football program. I am guessing next year.

BullFrog Dad
09-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by lobo12
when they did have teams they were normally only freshmen and sophomores playing on varsity and never won any games and also were getting beat by 50 to 60 points so i guess they didnt see the need to continue playing, but they have great basketball and baseball teams, both of them will be competing for the distric title I wonder if Presidio being the "Nation's Hot Spot" kept a lot of kids from playing football because they didn't want to do two-a-days.

Matthew328
09-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Pharr Valley View is starting football up soon....maybe one day Presidio will start football back as well...

coiled2strike
09-29-2004, 12:01 PM
strike fast...
you just want to go back and coach down there so someone can build a statue of you in the valley...

texasjeremy
09-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by sic'em
their website says that they have volleyball, so i guess they just don't play football. they are one of four 3a schools that doesn't play football. the others are pharr valley view, lufkin hudson and pollock central. i just found it weird that they kept up the field and all. it prob costs serious $$$ to make green grass down there.

Hudson and Central are both in Palestine's district, so the district has 6 schools for football and 8 for everything else.

18handicap
09-30-2004, 09:53 AM
I saw Presidio's football field this summer.......not much for a AAA school -- more like a A school in size. They were trying to keep half of the field watered and it was green -- the rest was brown and it was all growing with weeds on it. Hated to see that. Looked like they had a nice baseball field and school.