PDA

View Full Version : Dist. 32-AAA

footballgal
09-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Solid competition continues in District 32-3A

By BUDDY GREEN

Year after year it seems District 32-3A is one of the most competitive league’s in the Valley.

So why should 2004 be any different?

With that in mind, let’s analyze this year’s race.

Tarpons continue to rule

Port Isabel will once again be on top when the smoke clears.

The reason is simple: PI has the best players.

Johnny Nieto is one of the best players in the district, combining his skills as a running back, defensive back, pass receiver and whatever else coach Monty Strumbaugh can use him for.

Quarterback Orlando Ochoa is as good as most in this weak-passing district. Ochoa is also solid on defense and is arguably the best punter in the Valley.

Linebacker Frankie Herrera is a force and keys the rugged "Seawall" defense, the district’s top unit.

Look out for Lyford

The Bulldogs will be out to prove last year’s playoff appearance and win over PI were no flukes.

Coach Jaime Infante has a load of talent on offense and their 424 yard average through three games bears that out.

Running backs Omar Cavazos, Aaron Infante and Felix Silva make it difficult to key on one back. And quarterback Adrian Romo can pick up some yards as well.

Lyford doesn’t throw much, but don’t think for a minute they can’t.

Romo leads the district in passing yardage and in Noel Garcia, the Bulldogs have a legitimate big-play maker.

Flip a Coin

La Feria and Raymondville are solid contenders for a playoff spot while Rio Hondo and Hidalgo are darkhorses.

Progreso has made some improvement under first-year coach Elvis Hernandez but the Red Ants aren’t ready to make a serious playoff run just yet.

Lions will be roaring

La Feria came in with a defense that was supposed to be second to none, but the Lions were exposed by Brownsville Lopez in Week 2, losing 34-7.

Plus, La Feria has played just two games.

The defense should be good and workhorse running back Manny Perez is a one-man ball-control offense. Justin Ramirez has definite big-play potential.

If everything clicks, and that vaunted defense turns out to be as good as advertised, the Lions could make a serious run for the league title.

Wolfe’s pack

The Raymondville Bearkats will go as far as quarterback Tommy Wolfe can take them.

Wolfe has rushed for 367 yards and four long touchdowns while passing for 180 and three TDs. The senior had a bad passing day in a 34-7 loss to Class 4A Edcouch-Elsa last Friday, but it’s doubtful he’ll have to face a defense like that in his district.

Bobcats need air support

Rio Hondo has one of the best backs in the Valley in junior Ryan Garcia. But if the Bobcats don’t loosen things up with a little passing, defenses will load up on Garcia every week.

Quarterback Caleb Flores has completed just three of nine passes for 21 yards in three games.

Robby Mesa is also a talented back who makes a nice tantem with Garcia.

The Bobcats defense should keep them close each week.

Ahoy there matey

Hidalgo is 1-3 after a pretty salty non-district schedule.

The good news for coach Albert Guerra is that the Pirates are healthy and their special teams (seven blocked punts) has performed well.

Danny Rodriguez started the year at quarterback but Guerra switched him to running back. Rodriguez has five rushing TDs.

Key to the crown

The teams that stay healthy and focused from week-to-week will reach the playoffs.

Injuries can be vital to 3A teams, that don’t have the depth of bigger schools.

In this district, any team can win on any Friday night. There’s no room for mental letdowns.

Buddy Green is the Star’s sports editor. He can be reached at buddyg@valleystar.com or at 956-430-6284.

Johnny Utah
09-28-2004, 10:37 AM
List the scenarios on who will go D1 and D2 in the playoffs.

footballgal
09-28-2004, 10:53 AM
PI is almost in the middle of the pack, when it comes to enrollement. Hidalgo w/ the largest @836.5 then La Feria @763, PI @646, Raymondville@ 637, Rio Hondo @600, Progreso @538 & Lyford with the smallest enrollment @442.

So the way it looks right now, PI would go as Div. I, if La Feria doesn't make the playoffs. Hidalgo, will most likely not make the playoffs. If La Feria makes the playoffs then they would go Div. I and PI would be Div. II, again. But, for the first time since the creation of DIV I & II, there is a good chance that PI could go Div. I.

This is the way I see it right now

1)PI
2)Lyford
3)La Feria

So it would be La Feria, DIV I, but this district race is nowhere near to being decided. So right now things are kind of murky for the playoffs. But one thing for sure I do see the Tarpons going undefeated in district play, the other two spots are up for grabs.

Johnny Utah
09-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Who will be around the 3rd and 4th round of the playoffs??? Predicitons of course!!!

Ray_BearKat
09-28-2004, 02:12 PM
Footballgal, don't count Raymondville out just yet we lost a close one to Lyford one of the districts top contenders...we will definitely be making the playoffs this year and sending PI to D1...:D

footballgal
09-28-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Ray_BearKat
Footballgal, don't count Raymondville out just yet we lost a close one to Lyford one of the districts top contenders...we will definitely be making the playoffs this year and sending PI to D1...:D

That's Ok Oz we're not scared, PI plays better in the 2nd season, so I say PI will be in that 3rd or 4th round regardless of what division, IMO. I know I will hear flack about this on this site, but I have alot of faith and confidence in their drive and focus much more so than last year at this point in the season.

BTW, not counting Raymondville or anyone else in the district because anyone can beat anyone on any given Friday nite. This district has alot of parity, except PI, which IMO there is a seperation being made already. BUT everyone in the district plays PI tougher than nails.

Kool Tarpon 21
09-28-2004, 04:48 PM
I definitely agree that Port Isabel is going undefeated in district play. The last two playoff spots are up for grabs. Raymondville, Lyford, La Feria, and Rio Hondo all have a chance to make the playoffs. After this Friday, we'll see if Raymondville is really making the playoffs. Well, not for sure, but if they lose, they're out. La Feria should beat Progreso so they're alright. Lyford is playing a non district game. They should take that one. Port Isabel should take Hidalgo. We'll see what happens. Anything can happen any given Friday.

Johnny Utah
09-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Let's just say PI goes D1. Port Isabel vs. Zapata in the first round!!! Wow!!! When would the winner meet Wharton, Cuero, Sinton, etc......

Kool Tarpon 21
09-28-2004, 08:21 PM
If Port Isabel goes D1 then they'll play Zapata in the first round, Sinton in the second round, and then Cuero in the third. I think, I'm not too sure. Well, if they get that far that is. Peace up, A-Town down.