PDA

View Full Version : 2003 State Track Meet

crabman
11-19-2003, 08:55 AM
I noticed an article in the Victoria Advocate where it stated that Bryce Allan of Wharton was the state champion in the 400 meters as a Junior. I went to the UIL website just to see what kind of a time he ran and I noticed he was also second in the triple jump. On my way through the results the same teams kept popping up. It looked like the football top twenty. Atlanta, Jasper, Gainsville, Midland Greenwood, Pilot Point, Sweetwater, Wharton, and good ole Burnet. I noticed that Burnets 4x100 relay and 4x200 relay both made it to state. The names on the list looked awful familiar. Cody Warner, Chris Levens, Ty Kuhn, Jordan Shipley, and Luke Pell. Luke is the only name that didn't jump off the page. I am not sure if he is back this year or not. The other four are. I was wondering who from the state track meet of 2003 is making as significant of an impact on their football teams as these four guys? I have always felt that track and football went hand in hand. This speaks volumes. Let me know who represented you last year and let's keep an eye on this years meet to see who will be the team in fall 2004.

weatherag07
11-19-2003, 09:11 AM
Luke graduated in May. He's at Westpoint.

GETBACKCOACH
11-19-2003, 09:13 AM
This is very true about track. Gainesville had the fastest 4X100 time in the state last year in 3A but dropped the stick at District. They won the Texas Relays in the small school division. They have 3 out of 4 of them playing football. There is a direct correlation to the two sports.

easttexan1
11-19-2003, 10:54 AM
I seem to remember that something like 3 out of 4 of the kids on the Jasper relay team that set the national record went on to play pro football. What is interesting to me is that powerlifting doesn't seem to have the same correlation. A lot of schools started their powerlifting teams to augment their football programs. For years, Silsbee and Jasper swapped 1st & 2nd on all time powerlifting titles, but Silsbee seldom had great football teams.

crabman
11-19-2003, 02:55 PM
ttt

Cat22
11-19-2003, 03:15 PM
I know Michael Gauthier of Bridge City was second in the 100 meters last year. He was having a great football season until he was injuried. I would also like to add that if you have never been to the State Track & Field meet, I highly encourage you to attend. It's an awesome display of the talent we have here in Texas.

LowDownDawg
11-19-2003, 03:47 PM
I am all for weights, but only to the extent that it doesn't decrease speed or flexibility. You can probably go back and look at the teams that have won track titles and find a correlation to how they did in football. I would think success on the track did correlate to success on the grass, to a certain extent. I don't care how big and powerful your team is, like an old coach told me "if you can't get there, you can't make the play".

Atl_Rabb_Fan
11-19-2003, 09:32 PM
I know in Atlanta that they take the Track program serious. Right after they got the track program going the football team got going stronge. The head coach believes a stronge track team will help make a better football team and you can tell by the names of the schools you mentioned. A lot of our success on the field comes from our speed from our top track athletes. that comes from our track program.