PDA

View Full Version : Wharton evens it up at 2-2

FbCoachB40
09-27-2004, 11:43 AM
Hempstead got up big early, but Wharton shut the door in the second half. Finla score turned out to be 49-32 Tigers. That gets Wharton back to .500 for the year. They travel up near Austin this week to play Fredricksburg. Should be a pretty good game. Hopefully Wharton's defense will step it up and start making a few stops. The offense is going to score thier points, but the defense can't let the other team trade touchdowns the whole game. Anyway, glad to see the Tigers getting back on the right side of the scoreboard. They are looking good with District just around the corner.

raider red 2000
09-27-2004, 12:58 PM
it seems to me that the offense sometimes put the defense in a tight position. turnovers will hurt you at any level. 4 ints in a game is never good. could be qb could have been recievers. also, defense is funny. they are usually the ones that early in the year look good, because so much of defense is reactions to what the offense gives you; but as a defensive player the kids cant take the play off. on offense a backside reciever might not run a good route or hustle. while on defense if a lb or a safty is loafing.....it will be takin to the house. the O looks great, hopefully the D can catch up. if they can then this group will have a lot of fun and could be playing until christmas.

bc 76
09-27-2004, 01:04 PM
Red Raider 2000 you are right about one thing,this team is cabable of playing ball in dec,but what i can't understand is they give up so many yds rushing on defense, if the defense they are running does not work change it to fit the players you have.

raider red 2000
09-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by bc 76
Red Raider 2000 you are right about one thing,this team is cabable of playing ball in dec,but what i can't understand is they give up so many yds rushing on defense, if the defense they are running does not work change it to fit the players you have.

who knows, sounds like a good idea to me.

Crossblock3tech
09-27-2004, 01:47 PM
It's always easy to change a defensive scheme at midseason!?

Maybe the offense needs to have tackling drills and fumble recovery drills. It seems like they are giving up as many points as the defense.

punt
09-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Sure makes you wonder whats going on with the Wharton defense. Wharton lost to Cuero by 1 point and Cuero is suppose to be one of the top 3A teams and then Hempstead scored 32 points against the defense, 20 before Wharton ever scored. I think you Wharton fans have every reason to be concerned about your defense. Hempstead is rebuilding but has a lot of work to do before they should be able to score 32 points against a top team. Wharton will have to get it together on defense to survive in their district, it appears to me. We will see how Hempstead does against Sealy to see if their improvement is legit.

BU97
09-27-2004, 02:57 PM
Of the 5 TDs that Hempstead scored, one was a 70 yd run that the defense just over ran the RB. The second was a punt return for a TD. Third was long pass that was set up by an int. The 4th was set up again by a long int return. You all need to get off the the bashing the Tiger Defense soapbox and realize that this is a TEAM! The defense made mistakes and so did the offense, but in the end the Tigers got the W, not the offense or defense. We'll get it right before district play rolls around. Besides, the defensive statistics have been improving. We rank last in total defense in the district, but that is mostly from the 550 yds that Cuero had. Hempstead had only like 275 total yards.

raider red 2000
09-27-2004, 03:06 PM
i agree totally that a W is a W...the team wins. also, it isnt as if the defensive coaches arent working. i am sure that when one side of the ball isnt doing so well those coaches are more worried about the problem than the coaches that are doing well. you must also think abouth the kids. several kids are playing on both sides of the ball, and i doubt that the kids are saying, " i can take this play off so i can bust my rump on offense." the kids are workin and so are the coaches. the tigers have won the last 2 weeks, and that is better than alot of teams. hopefully all of the kinks can be worked out for district.

GreatBigBurnetFan
09-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Wharton folks,
This week is no cake walk for you either. Fredericksburg is a good
4A team. TX High school Rankings has picked Fredericksburg by 7.
Those of you making the trip, Fredericksburg is SW of Austin. In
reality your about as close to San Antonio as to Austin.

Necked
09-27-2004, 09:53 PM
Ya'll got plenty of time to work on the defense before the playoffs start, as our district foes are pretty woeful right now. We will crown the district champ in three weeks, and then hit the playoffs in full stride........

war-town
09-28-2004, 06:22 AM
Bring back coach brown he would put the right kids on def.

FbCoachB40
10-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Who are you War-town? Bring back Coach Brown? That is the Answer for the Wharton defense? I hear that he is such a great coach, that he coaches freshman football in Bryan. For the record, I didn't post this subject. A friend of mine got on my computer, it wasn't me. I do not doubt the defensive coaches at Wharton. I believe the poster of this topic was GAMERS