PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's really slow on here...so ....

Bandera YaYa
09-26-2004, 10:45 PM
I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed how badly some of these school age kids spell? I mean, anyone can type a wrong letter or just be in such a hurry, that you misspell a word...no big deal.....this isn't an English class.....but I am beginning to think some schools are not teaching the basic tools for being able to communicate with the real world. What do you think?

Ranger Mom
09-26-2004, 10:48 PM
I agree 100%

Keith7
09-26-2004, 10:49 PM
i misspell alot of words but alot of times its because i'm in a hurry and just spell things like they sound

Bandera YaYa
09-26-2004, 10:51 PM
So, can you imagine how hard it will be for them to get good jobs, etc.....and I have a feeling most of them are Jr and Sr's in high school.......I just can't understand how they get by.. They seem to spell a word like it sounds.....and to me, that means someone has not taught them how to spell.

Bulldog_12
09-26-2004, 10:52 PM
i no exatly wahty ou mean. :D

SintonFan
09-26-2004, 10:52 PM
I agree. It's a shame.

Keith7
09-26-2004, 10:53 PM
unless you are a spelling bee judge, most jobs dont need excellent spellers.. thats what spell check is for!

Gobbla2001
whatchoo talkin bout?

Bandera YaYa
Originally posted by Keith7
i misspell alot of words but alot of times its because i'm in a hurry and just spell things like they sound I know, my mind goes faster than my fingers, but if you graduate from high school, you should know how to spell...especially the easy words.

BullsFan
09-26-2004, 10:54 PM
I can only say that if schools didn't have to spend so much time preparing for standardized tests, they might be able to spend a little more time on life lessons. (And I say that as someone who comes from a very successful school.)

I also think that internet communication is having a detrimental effect on our written language. Here it's not so bad, but there are other places where Netspeak has replaced regular language to the point that it's almost indecipherable. You know, "anyone" becomes "ne1" and the like. You never see a single capital letter or an end punctuation mark of any kind. That drives me absolutely batty.

wildstangs
09-26-2004, 10:55 PM
Blame No Child Left Behind.

Mandy
09-26-2004, 10:55 PM
They should aslo focus on telling these kids about safe sex. I've never seen so many young pregnant girls. It's crazy.

Ranger Mom
09-26-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
I can only say that if schools didn't have to spend so much time preparing for standardized tests, they might be able to spend a little more time on life lessons. (And I say that as someone who comes from a very successful school.)

I also think that internet communication is having a detrimental effect on our written language. Here it's not so bad, but there are other places where Netspeak has replaced regular language to the point that it's almost indecipherable. You know, "anyone" becomes "ne1" and the like. You never see a single capital letter or an end punctuation mark of any kind. That drives me absolutely batty.

You are a teacher, aren't you? I bet that it DOES drive you nuts!

SintonFan
Ahhh... lazy minds need lazy programs.
If a person wants a higher paying job, proper writing skills is a must.

Necked
It's the freakin' bad grammer that grates on my nerves.
Look kids, its real simple. If you speak a typed sentence out loud & it sounds like Yoda on crack funky, please rearrange it properly...........

Bandera YaYa
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
whatchoo talkin bout? HaHaHa!! I know we can make fun....and it's fun to type slang...but I do think it's a sad thing. Are these kids just passed through the system???? Is it OK to have a quarterback who can barely write a paper???? :confused:

TheDOCTORdre
09-26-2004, 10:58 PM
What they need to have is more economic classes, money management, and job training programs in schools. So many kids are clueless about this kind of stuff when they enter world outside of high school.

Keith7
09-26-2004, 10:58 PM
Well if we youngsters need to learn to spell then yall older people need to learn how to drive!

Bulldog_12
09-26-2004, 10:59 PM
I know I'm not too much older, just a college student, but things are bad. If you walked through the schools and heard how EVERYONE speaks, it is horrible. I do think that TAAS and TAKS take up way too much time, but that's just me.

Bandera YaYa
09-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Mandy
They should aslo focus on telling these kids about safe sex. I've never seen so many young pregnant girls. It's crazy. An excellent point......very, very sad......don't even get me started on that one!!!! :rolleyes: :D

TheDOCTORdre
09-26-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Necked
It's the freakin' bad grammer that grates on my nerves.
Look kids, its real simple. If you speak a typed sentence out loud & it sounds like Yoda on crack funky, please rearrange it properly...........

In your thinking correct you are

PPHSfan
09-26-2004, 11:00 PM
The execrable spelling is endurable, when set against the scatological use of grammar.

Keith7
09-26-2004, 11:02 PM
yall r gust jelis uf are imajinativ spelin

Bulldog_12
09-26-2004, 11:02 PM
Nice use of words PPHS. I'm impressed, really I am.

Necked
09-26-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
The execrable spelling is endurable, when set against the scatological use of grammar.
Now where DID I put that freakin' dictionary.....

Keith7
09-26-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Necked
Now where DID I put that freakin' dictionary.....

www.dictionary.com one of the most useful websites on the internet

Bandera YaYa
09-26-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
What they need to have is more economic classes, money management, and job training programs in schools. So many kids are clueless about this kind of stuff when they enter world outside of high school. That's a very good suggestion.......I wish for this also. Too many young adults get themselves into financial trouble, simply because they were not prepared for the "real" world. It's like when my youngest daughter had a severe seizure and passed out....I thought she had died and then I nearly died.....if someone had prepared me for what could happen when a child gets a high fever, I would have been OK when this happened.....KNOWLEDGE is EVERYTHING!! Good point!!! :D

SintonFan
09-26-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Crap!:p

Bulldog_12
09-26-2004, 11:09 PM
I agree with you Ya Ya. I have just gotten out into the real world and feel like I know nothing. I think I am really inexperienced and not ready for things. For instance, Math dealt with things I probably will never use. it would have been a lot more helpful to have a mandatory math class that showed you things such as balancing a check book, managing money, Home loans, etc. etc. I think something like that would help immensly.

PPHSfan
09-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
I agree with you Ya Ya. I have just gotten out into the real world and feel like I know nothing. I think I am really inexperienced and not ready for things. For instance, Math dealt with things I probably will never use. it would have been a lot more helpful to have a mandatory math class that showed you things such as balancing a check book, managing money, Home loans, etc. etc. I think something like that would help immensly.

I know this is going to sound harsh. But your parents or guardians are the people who should have taught you these things.

Bulldog_12
09-26-2004, 11:13 PM
I know I know, my parents did help me with that, but Im stupid. I just meant for kids in public school who might have parents who don't have time or just don't care. That's all I really meant by that. I think it would help. And even for people who's parents help them, its good to have backup. That would just help reinforce what they learned.

Keith7
09-26-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
mandatory math class that showed you things such as balancing a check book, managing money, Home loans, etc. etc. I think something like that would help immensly.

we had a class like that in Gainesville but it wasnt a math class it was a computer class, and they showed how to manage a check book and we had to turn in reports for our job that gave us "money" for our "checking account"... it was really lame but it was an easy A

Bandera YaYa
09-26-2004, 11:16 PM
If I could tell a young adult something, something that would make an impact upon their lives, I would tell them to demand respect from the people they encounter throughout their lives.....might it be a boyfriend,or a wife or a boss....BUT, it you want to be respected, you must be decent, considerate, intelligent (and I don't mean you have to have an IQ of 180, but think before you speak.....show intelligence), forgiving and have a sense of humor. Life is tough....not everyone can have a fancy house or a fancy car....but if those around you respect you, you are rich beyond words...... :)

Necked
09-26-2004, 11:17 PM
I seem to remember a class like that in JrHigh, I think it was called Home Economics. I even learned how to sew & bake muffins!

Bandera YaYa
09-26-2004, 11:19 PM
we had a class like that in Gainesville but it wasnt a math class it was a computer class, and they showed how to manage a check book and we had to turn in reports for our job that gave us "money" for our "checking account"... it was really lame but it was an easy A It may have been "lame"...but it gave you knowledge of how to do this, right? I'd rather be able to write out a check correctly, than to have the bank teller have to tell me I did it incorrectly!! I would rather look intelligent to her. :cool:

Keith7
09-26-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
It may have been "lame"...but it gave you knowledge of how to do this, right? I'd rather be able to write out a check correctly, than to have the bank teller have to tell me I did it incorrectly!! I would rather look intelligent to her. :cool:

yea it tought me how to do it, but it also made me never want a checking account.. cuz now i dont see a point in it

I remember the name now, it was called BCIS if anyone in high school has that class

TheDOCTORdre
09-26-2004, 11:24 PM
yea it tought me how to do it, but it also made me never want a checking account.. cuz now i dont see a point in it

I remember the name now, it was called BCIS if anyone in high school has that class

Amazingly technology is causing us to digress, people don't have to learn how to write checks because of the check card so I blame technolgy partially

Bandera YaYa
09-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Yes, my oldest daughter took it.....in Bandera, it's where you are taught stuff like that and then you had an after school job....she loved it. She learned how to make money and how to manage it!!

Bandera YaYa
09-26-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Amazingly technology is causing us to digress, people don't have to learn how to write checks because of the check card so I blame technolgy partially I agree with what you say......I'm just saying keep on learning......and take in what ever knowledge is provided to you!!

CHS_DT#75
09-26-2004, 11:30 PM
wow, its a message board... who cares how we type??? i personally dont waste my time trying to correct every error... that doesnt mean anything....

TheDOCTORdre
09-26-2004, 11:33 PM
This post has made me realize that I should use my knowledge I have and that involves spelling correctly. The saying goes "If you don't use you're gonna lose it"

Bulldog_12
09-26-2004, 11:34 PM
Yeah I had BCIS my last year in high school, but all we did was learn how to make presentations and stuff. Noting important.

CHS_DT#75
09-26-2004, 11:34 PM
you just said gonna, when you tried to tell us to type correctly...wow...

TheDOCTORdre
09-26-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by CHS_DT#75
you just said gonna, when you tried to tell us to type correctly...wow...
That is the quote and i was quoting it but to make you happy "Going to"

CHS_DT#75
09-26-2004, 11:37 PM
im not "gonna" lose nuttin

Bulldog_12
09-26-2004, 11:38 PM
ummmm, ha ha?

sahen
09-27-2004, 01:53 AM
i think the reason y the spelling seems so bad is because there is a generation gap here....the older people (most older people) dont get online and talk to their friends on instant messenger or other messenging programs and the younger people do....please do realize that when we turn in papers at school we do not type like this, or write like this...most people i have found at my college are able to use grammar very well, but we r lazy on the net cause this is the way we type when we talk to our friends....as for me, on this site i dont look at the people older than me as teachers, i look at yall as friends so i type like this....i know it isnt grammatically correct but its just the net, not a term paper....

by the way older people doesnt equal old people....im just saying the people that didnt spend their high school years immersed in technology like we do nowadays are the older people

PPHSfan
09-27-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by sahen
.......by the way older people doesnt equal old people....im just saying the people that didnt spend their high school years immersed in technology like we do nowadays are the older people

You do realize that "technology" is a realative term right?

You may not think so now, but in 20 years, there are going to be kids that laugh about how ancient things like cell phones and laptops are.

We spent our school years "immersed in technology" too. The computers were just a lot bigger.

LH Panther Mom
09-27-2004, 08:19 AM
Well, I'm about to show my age. "Technology" when I was in high school meant you got to use the electric typewriter in typing class instead of the manual one. You younger folks can go ahead & laugh if you want - I'm sure some of you have no idea what I'm even talking about. I'd be willing to bet that "typewriter" can be found in the dictionary, maybe there will even be a picture. :D

dawgmom
09-27-2004, 08:36 AM
AAhhh....the old IBM Selectric! Those were the good old days! :D

Ranger Mom
09-27-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by dawgmom
AAhhh....the old IBM Selectric! Those were the good old days! :D

LOL!! I have an IMB Selectric III sitting on a desk right behind me! From time to time we have to fill in forms and I have to use the "Ole Selectric". I hate it when I make a mistake....and I REALLY hate not having the "10-key" number pad!

We also have BCIS at our school, it is a required subject. They learn how to balance a check book, they learn about loan, interest rates, etc. If the class is taught how it's supposed to be, instead of being looked upon as a "blow-off" class, I think it is a great learning tool!

My kids have known how to balance a check book since they were little. I found a really neat kit called "Parentbank" when they were younger. It had a checkbook and they had to write me a check to get money from their allowance account.

TheDOCTORdre
09-27-2004, 09:06 AM
Its amazing, first of all that I'm still writing on this topic, but second that when I got to UT this semester I found out my roommate had no idea on how to balance a checkbook or write out a check, or fill out a deposit or withdrawal form, I had to teach him

dawgmom
09-27-2004, 09:09 AM
I found a really neat kit called "Parentbank" when they were younger. It had a checkbook and they had to write me a check to get money from their allowance account.

Hey RM! Where did you find this? Sounds like something good to continue using for when the kids are CONSTANTLY asking for money! I think I need to get a couple of these! lol :thinking: :thinking: :D

Ranger Mom
09-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by dawgmom

Hey RM! Where did you find this? Sounds like something good to continue using for when the kids are CONSTANTLY asking for money! I think I need to get a couple of these! lol :thinking: :thinking: :D

I think I ordered it from Lillian Vernon.....it's been so long ago I can't really remember anymore!!:p

JasperDog94
09-27-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Blame No Child Left Behind. Why?

BullsFan
09-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Why?

Because NCLB places such extraordinary importance on test scores that we're leaving everything else behind.

And yes, Ranger Mom, I am a teacher, and yes, it DOES drive me absolutely batty!! ;)

Btw, to whomever made the comment about the generation gap, let me just say that I get on AIM all the time with my friends, and there's not a one of them that uses Netspeak. In fact, most of them think that Netspeak is just plain lazy. And it seems to be a habit-forming, because so many people who do use it seem to forget how to write normally even when the situation warrants. The people that I know are all ages and gender, but most of them write either recreationally or professionally.

So perhaps that gap isn't based on lines of age... ;)