PDA

View Full Version : Can Any San Antonio football Historians Help?

Phil C
09-25-2004, 12:58 PM
This is talking about not always knowing what can happen in football. It isn't 3A football but maybe someone in San Antonio may have a better memory. I was a kid when it happened (yes I am showing my age lol ) but in 1962 (I think) San Antonio Breckenridge won state and I think they had lost several regular season games and a couple of district games (back in the time when only district champions advanced to playoffs) but they won just enough games and teams that beat them lost so that they barely got into the playoffs even though they weren't supposed to win district. In each playoff game they were the underdogs and not supposed to win but they did so. In fact when it got down to the final 8 if you had picked the least team to win it all they would have been chosen but instead they won them all and became 4A (highest class at the time) state champions. We all know the great miracle of Bandera of two years ago and this is not meant to take anything from Bandera but that would just have been an ordinary occurance to what SA Breckenridege did that year. I don't think it has happened again. Remember San Antonio did it in Division 1 (there were no division 2 or second chances then) and only one team per district advanced. Can anyone give us more details on SA in that year?

3ahunter2k4
09-25-2004, 02:45 PM
i'm no historian, but i do know that every year a team does win the 4a state championship, so i guess the answer is yes it has happened since and several times.

PhiI C
09-25-2004, 09:29 PM
I guess I didn't make it clear on my question because I was asking about SA Breckenridge details that year. Also I dont' think any team in 4A (which is now 5A now) has lost as many games in regular season and district that SA did back then. Guess my question wasn't clear because I am aware that there are teams that win in all the classes every year.

3afan
09-25-2004, 11:00 PM
just this past year North Crowley was 6-4 heading into the playoffs - then they won 5 straight to take the title

j_dog
09-25-2004, 11:47 PM
Phil, I think you may be remembering that the great Warren McVea put the SA Breckenridge team on his running back shoulders and took them all the way to the finals. He was probably one of the best open field runners ever. He then went to UH and played for Yoeman. Then he played a few years in the NFL. Does this help jog the old memory? :)