PDA

View Full Version : You don't see this play every game

Da Mules
09-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Muleshoe attempted a 40 yard field goal against Lockney last night. The kick fell about 3 yards short of the crossbar... a Lockney player ran into the end-zone and caught the ball in mid-air and attempted to run it back; a la Arena Football. Most of the players on both teams didn't react at first; it was kind of amusing to watch all them come to life after staring at him dumbfounded for a split second or so.
(BTW, that was NOT a smart play. He was tackled on the 11-yard line, and the Longhorns would have had the ball on about the 40.)

PPHSfan
09-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Actually if it were a forty yard field goal attempt, they would have gotten the ball on about the 23.

Keith7
09-25-2004, 11:46 AM
the ball actually woulda been on the 30, the spot that the ball was kicked from

shellman54
09-25-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
the ball actually woulda been on the 30, the spot that the ball was kicked from

no, thats only in the NFL. college and high school still go from the original line of scrimmage

Keith7
09-25-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by shellman54
no, thats only in the NFL. college and high school still go from the original line of scrimmage

hmm too much madden 2005 for me

Necked
09-25-2004, 12:14 PM
Here is a question about field goals that stumped the three referees (experienced ones too) that I work with when I asked about it.
If a play is called dead when a players knee is down, then shouldn't the field goal attempt be blown dead as soon as the holder gets the hike from center? Isn't his knee down when he gets it??
They couldn't find anything in the rulebook that exempts the holder from being down, they just shrugged their shoulders and said "Thats just the way it is"......:rolleyes:

Phil C
09-25-2004, 12:22 PM
That is a good question Neck. There would be a lot of field goals and extra points that shouldn't have been counted then. I think that is just one of those things they allow though from history.