PDA

View Full Version : Retirement to cost Ricky Rickey Williams de bucks

olddawggreen
09-25-2004, 08:16 AM
Austin American Statesman;

Former Miami Dolphins running back Rickey Williams was ordered to repay the team more than $8.6 million for breaching his contract when he suddenly quit before training camp.

Dude! :( :(

LH Panther Mom
09-25-2004, 09:09 AM
I laughed when I saw that - just wish I could get in on some of it. ;)

olddawggreen
09-25-2004, 09:18 AM
He may have to start smoking the low grade stuff. :( :(

Birdman
09-25-2004, 09:31 AM
That turned out to be some real expensive dope. Stupidity is rampant among dopers. I'm sure he is finding out that many of his "friends" are disappearing as well. Welcome to the world of reality, Rickey.

PPHSfan
09-25-2004, 09:44 AM
Man you guys are tough.

I'm not gonna take sides in a Rickey debate, but I try and look at BOTH sides. Did anyone ever consider the idea that maybe Rickey was telling the truth? Maybe he really was pressured all of his life to play a game that he really did not like. And maybe he really did decide that he was tired of it, and was ready to quit.

Sure the timing was bad, and it is going to cost him a lot of money, but does that make him a stupid loser?

My guess is that he accomplished more in the first 22 years of his life trying to please his parents, than most folks accomplish in their entire life trying to please themselves.

LH Panther Mom
09-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Sure, I can see how maybe he was pressured by his parents to play a game he didn't really like....in high school, possibly even college. (Heisman trophy is a small price to pay for a college education.) If he felt "pressured" to play pro ball, that seems a little ridiculous to me. By the time someone graduates college, they should've learned to speak up for themselves. All he had to do was say "no".

Personally, I think his decision to quit was a smart one. A lot of people end up in careers they don't really like. Not everyone has the good sense, or opportunity, to quit and find something they do like.

scrub c
09-25-2004, 10:22 AM
yeah, but not too many of us get the opportunity to make MILLIONS of dollars playing a GAME, a game people.
I think he should have played his contract out, think about it,
He then would have big $$$$'s and the rest of his life to smoke it away.

PPHSfan
09-25-2004, 10:30 AM
scrub c,

Maybe you should consider a carreer as a life coach like Dr. Phil.

CS_WILDCATS
09-25-2004, 10:34 AM
Don't be surprised to see Ricky back in the NFL next year. He'll have to sit out to serve his drug suspension but he'll be back. 8.6 million is a lot of cash to part with.

Phil C
09-25-2004, 12:48 PM
I am sure that even if he loses all those millions he must still have some left over. Anyway I don't know if he was pressured into a sport he didn't like. I think his happiest times were playing at UT. He even passed on the NFL draft early to play another year for the Horns.

thumptbh
09-25-2004, 02:09 PM
third strike and your out is the policy. williams would have to have set out this year and loses his money anyway. so he retires and draws his nfl retirement/severance pay because he has five years. next year he comes out of retirement and gets another big check. what a bum!!!!!!!!!

3ahunter2k4
09-25-2004, 02:25 PM
el if i was heem i jus woodn't pay back none of it