PDA

View Full Version : 2 Burning Questions

c-town_balla
09-28-2002, 10:30 PM
I was thinking from all the talk on this board that Port Isabel was 4-0 and rolling and I see High SChool Extra and they are a part of a MAJOR upset of Rio Hando....what up wiht this?....and WHat happend wiht Jasper I may just be an idiot but was that team 4A? If not what happend?

footballgal
09-28-2002, 10:40 PM
I heard about that comment made on the show about an upset, I asked what major upset?!?!?!, they are both co-champs from last year, unless he's talking about all the hype the media has given Rio Hondo then I can understand why they might of thought it was an upset. But, that's just how much high school extra knows now. I suggest you watch the High School Edge show on the TX News Channel they know more about high school football.

sinton66
09-29-2002, 10:11 AM
ctb, the Strake Jesuit team is a 5A sized private school that I understand won the tapps state championship last season. This was no easy mark for anyone to take on.

Big Tarp 74
09-30-2002, 05:15 PM
Rio Hondo, was picked by many to beat Port Isabel. The Data Poll had Rio Hondo by 3, and some crazy poll had Rio Hondo by 54 over Port Isabel. The Rio Hondo coaches have been using the coe-tie as they were the champions, and Port Isabel, wasnt. They ( Asst. Coach ) even confronted our ball players on the field telling them things I can not repeat. This set Port Isabel on fire Friday night. Up to this game Rio Hondo had not realy played anyone at our level. When the game started, Rio Hondo found out quick, they were not going to be match for Port Isabel. One reporter stated, the best way to decribe the game, was to immagin, a pack of killer whales, ripping through a school of seals. Rio Hondo, paid very dearly, for their trash talking. Not only did Port Isabel bring them down, they destroy any confidence they had. I would not be supprised if Rio Hondo take another bad beating this week with Raymondville. Why the coaches from Rio Hondo were a part of this, was beond me. No coach should be a part of trash talking. As for The High School Sport Extra, keep in mind he ( the coach ) must have called them, letting them know we were big under dog going into this game. Their star running back had been avg, 200 yards per game. But when PI got a hold of them, he only managed 41 yards for the night. The Rio Hondo star running back when out just after the start of the 3rd quarter. He was being beat to death by a hostile defense. A PI Defense that was making sure, he would not get his 200 yards. The sport extra also stated it was a Major Major Upset. Boy, that sent a shockwave thru 3A. I guess many 3A schools was trying to figure out who Rio Hondo was. Did they miss some major poll that only Rio Hondo sat on? It is now over, and the Tarpons have managed to be 1-0 in district, as well as completing a Major! Major! upset. I guess this means we were Major Major underdogs. I like being a major major underdog. The sports extra made more noise out of that then the Number 1 team in Texas 3A lossing. eek!

c-town_balla:
I was thinking from all the talk on this board that Port Isabel was 4-0 and rolling and I see High SChool Extra and they are a part of a MAJOR upset of Rio Hando....what up wiht this?....and WHat happend wiht Jasper I may just be an idiot but was that team 4A? If not what happend?

<small>[ September 30, 2002, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Big Tarp 74 ]</small>

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-30-2002, 05:50 PM
Hey Adam, maybe it wasn't the RH coach who called the High School Xtra and told them about the game.........it may have been the local TV stations and local newspapers that told 'em, trying to give RH more recognition.

At least now RH will be recognized as the team that got blown out of the water by a MAJOR MAJOR underdog that is very well known statewide.....Port Isabel. It's almost funny. :D

I just wish the local media would use common sense and NOT report something that isn't really there.......like RH being a state ranked team, RH being district champs, etc. etc. etc.

The whole town of Port Isabel KNEW that Rio Hondo's weak non-district schedule was going to bite them in the rear when they played us. Just had to put them in their place.