PDA

View Full Version : West Columbia 21 Barbers Hill 27

scrub c
09-24-2004, 10:19 PM
Barbers Hill catches Hail Mary with no time to win the game.

2 good football teams in a good game.:(

Necked
09-24-2004, 10:58 PM
Congradulations to Barbers Hill an an exciting finish! That should make the bye week a little easier to face!
The difference in this game was easily the "polish" Barbers Hill has. Only one major mistake the whole night. Pretty. They didn't panic or get excited, just kept lining up and coming at us again and again and pulled it out at the end. They showed our boys we're not gonna be able to win every game with sheer athletisism.
I'll let the BH folks disect their teams play tonight, as they know them best.
Two things WC has to do better:
1. Cut out the penalties. After 5 games, averaging 10+ penalties a game is a no-no. Young or not, they should be showing improvment in that area by now.
2. Start the games better. Four out of five games now WC has fallen behind early in the game. Unacceptable.
Oh, and one more thing, Throw the freakin' ball ball to Justin Fields more than once a game!!!! If tonight hasn't convinced the coaches that Fields can be unstoppable, then they need to go back to teaching home ec and gym...

More devestating than tonights loss is that our QB Minks has a broken ankle and will be out 6-8 weeks. :( :( :( :(

Hupernikomen
09-24-2004, 11:34 PM
sorry to hear about your qb. That is a tough loss. Congrats to BH on a big win. I told folks you guys would win these last two and catch everyone's eyes going into district play. Man sure sounded like a great game.

RBARKER
09-25-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Necked
Congradulations to Barbers Hill an an exciting finish! That should make the bye week a little easier to face!
The difference in this game was easily the "polish" Barbers Hill has. Only one major mistake the whole night. Pretty. They didn't panic or get excited, just kept lining up and coming at us again and again and pulled it out at the end. They showed our boys we're not gonna be able to win every game with sheer athletisism.
I'll let the BH folks disect their teams play tonight, as they know them best.
Two things WC has to do better:
1. Cut out the penalties. After 5 games, averaging 10+ penalties a game is a no-no. Young or not, they should be showing improvment in that area by now.
2. Start the games better. Four out of five games now WC has fallen behind early in the game. Unacceptable.
Oh, and one more thing, Throw the freakin' ball ball to Justin Fields more than once a game!!!! If tonight hasn't convinced the coaches that Fields can be unstoppable, then they need to go back to teaching home ec and gym...

More devestating than tonights loss is that our QB Minks has a broken ankle and will be out 6-8 weeks. :( :( :( :(

Necked, Sorry to hear about your QB I dind't even see that happen. Who ever said West Columbia couldn't pass is dead Wrong. The WC receivers were awesome and their QB put the ball in the right spot every time. WC will be a team to recon with I was really impressed. Congrats to WC for scoring 21 on the Eagles tonight yall have done what no earlier team has yet. I'll try to give everyone a recap. BH scores on their first play from scrimmage BH 7 WC 0. WC come back and drives down the field to score WC 7 BH 7. WC get the ball with 20 seconds left before half and throws a long ball to a leaping reciever WC 14 BH 7 half. BH comes out after half time and shuts down WC, WC bobbles the punt atempt and BH captilizes and scores on the next play BH14 WC 14. BH keeps playing tough defense and drive down for another score BH 21 WC 14. WC get the ball and while BH held them to two 4th and long conversions WC kept going and with a couple of circus catches scores with about a minuite to go in the game BH 21 WC 21. BH drives down to the 50 and with 7 seconds left in the game heaves a pass into the inzone to a well covered receiver who managed to leap up and catch the ball. Game over BH27 WC21. WC has nothing to hang their head over they have a great ball club and will make some noise in the playoffs. Both team should have gained alot from this match up.

Boomer74
09-25-2004, 01:03 AM
The boys did play a good game tonight! I was very happy with the turn out...and think it could have gone the other way just as easy! I did see several things that West Columbia did that realy impressed me. You have some good athlets and it showed. If Fields is #26, then he deserves more respect from what it sounds like. BH, can improve on some things and I hope that we take the open week to do so! Oh, sorry to hear about your QB, hope he makes a good recovery... I know what its like to sit a season out from a injury!

Boomer

hsfootballrules
09-25-2004, 01:48 AM
I think this was a great game and very weird......I think that BH is very lucky but lucky is better then good.........I am starting to worry about the offense I hope the QB figures something out over the bye week cause he didnt look very good tonight.......saying that though i thought the QB and everyone else showed some guts to not give up and go score to win the game

EAGLETOWN
09-25-2004, 08:13 AM
For everyone that knows what I am talking about.

I think the Iguana Joes put us over the top. :D

Naw just playin.

It was an awesome game.

This turned out to be probally one one the best High School FB games I have ever watched.

Super composure was showed by both teams.

Hats off to W/C they have a lot of talent and should do well.

The Eagles came away with the W but still have a lot of room for improvement on O.

Always can improve.

The D was once again the back bone of the win IMO.

Awesome game fellas.

W/C & BH

It's ashame one team had to lose, but I'm glad it wasn't the Eagles.

shellman54
09-25-2004, 08:51 AM
unbelievable game, two great teams playing their hearts out, but gotta love to see BH get the win. #98 for W/C scared me even as i was sitting in the stands. what was he, 6'6", 320? and runs like a horse? what do you feed those boys over there? BH's offense needs some fine tuning, defense was the difference in the game. good to have a bye week coming up, rest a lot of folks

shankbear
09-25-2004, 09:28 AM
It is amazing that the Eagles have been able to take the last two games in such dramatic fashion. A field goal at the end on one and a hail Mary on the other. Keep up the good play. The Hill finds a way!!!!!!!!!

THE HILL FINDS A WAY!!!

GoDeep
09-25-2004, 09:33 AM
Barbers Hill may be the most underrated team in 3a.

eagle.eyes
09-25-2004, 09:54 AM
Boy, it seemed like a playoff game. Awesome! I agree it's too bad 1 team had to lose. WC is even better than I expected. Terrific athletes, speed, good young RB.....that receiver, well, way under used! Good luck rest of the way WC.

eagle07
09-25-2004, 10:57 AM
wow that was a great game last night
the boys played great for both teams and im glad i made the drive down there to see that game.
ced made an amazing catch to win that game!!!
hopefully we will throw the ball to him more now.
a week off and then district starts...lets see if were still ranked 3rd...

RBARKER
09-25-2004, 11:00 AM
Agian what a game I'm still pumped up. The offense does need some work , but not at the fault of the kids on the field the OC has to do some better play calling if we are to compete in the playoffs. I'm not coach bashing so no one jump on my case. I didn't see the Patton boy in the back field all night and hand the ball to #37 that boy is a bull. The OC has to do something besides let the QB run the ball when the game is tight we have tons of talent on this team utilize it.

WOS1
09-25-2004, 11:16 AM
Congrats to "The Hill", you guys proved me wrong. Good teams find a way to win and it sounds like you guys did it again, those are intangibles of a good program. Good luck the rest of the way to BH and WC. I gotta feeling we will be seeing WC sometime... ;)

eagle07
09-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by RBARKER
Agian what a game I'm still pumped up. The offense does need some work , but not at the fault of the kids on the field the OC has to do some better play calling if we are to compete in the playoffs. I'm not coach bashing so no one jump on my case. I didn't see the Patton boy in the back field all night and hand the ball to #37 that boy is a bull. The OC has to do something besides let the QB run the ball when the game is tight we have tons of talent on this team utilize it.

your right about patton in the backfield. i was wondering the same thing, but chris did come out after the half and play great, as did the rest of the team. the coaches must have really gotten them pumped up in there

shellman54
09-25-2004, 11:34 AM
hey, what is the update and Duncan and Gray?

eagle07
09-25-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by shellman54
hey, what is the update and Duncan and Gray?

duncan has a hip pointer and is week to week. he should be back for the beginning of district.

calebs and his knee are out for at least three more weeks probably more though

Necked
09-25-2004, 01:24 PM
Hope everyone made it home OK.

Necked, Sorry to hear about your QB I dind't even see that happen.
It happened last week. I saw him on the sidelines on crutches & thats when I was told it was a broken ankle. He & Vernor alternate at QB every other possesion. Minks has the better arm, but Vernor is a good QB too as he showed last night, but he's all we got left now. If he gets hurt, we're screwed...

Originally posted by shellman54
#98 for W/C scared me even as i was sitting in the stands. what was he, 6'6", 320? and runs like a horse?
Oh, you noticed that midgit, eh? :D
I love this kid.
Andrew Jones 6'-3 290. DE-TE Runs fast, hits hard, & can catch a pass in the flat to boot. Was our punter last year and is on the "hands" team on onsides kicks. Rumour is that Nebraska is interested in him...

hsfootballrules
09-25-2004, 01:29 PM
Well Rbaker I disagree with you not bashing you by all means......but i saw us turn the ball over i think 3 times in the first half and i saw us get the lead and run the ball to run the clock.....by the way i know the mcwilliams kid didnt look good at the end of the game i think he got hot or something......saying that i think our defense was playing to good to make the patton's play both ways we needed them to be full speed on defense.......but they were in the game on critical plays in the backfield just didnt get the ball....i thought they called a good 2nd half just my opinion

Necked
09-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Here's what the locale fishwrap had to say----

'Necks fall on final play
Anthony Maenza
The Facts

Published September 25, 2004

WEST COLUMBIA — Battles between two undefeated teams seldom live up to their billing.

The one Friday night did.

Barbers Hill receiver Cedric Moore outfought two Columbia defenders to catch a 30-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Chris Daniel with no time left on the clock to give the Eagles a 27-21 victory over the Roughnecks.

“It was a great football game,” Columbia coach Brian Lane said. “We made too many mistakes to win.”

The catch by Moore capped a 60-yard drive that came just after Columbia tied the game with a big drive of its own.

The Roughnecks (4-1) drove 76 yards for the tying score that featured two big fourth-down catches by Justin Fields to help keep the drive going.

Fields’ first big catch came on a fourth-and-11 play, as he jumped over a Barbers Hill defender to grab a 24-yard pass from quarterback Tim Vernor at the Eagle 21.

Later on a fourth-and-10 play, Fields caught a 20-yard pass from Vernor at the Eagle 1 to set up the tying touchdown. Nolan Darthard took the ball into the end zone with 1:12 left to play to knot the game at 21-21.

“Justin made some big catches and Tim made some good throws,” Lane said. “It’s all stuff we work on in practice and it worked well for us.”

The big drives from each team at the end was typical of the matchup as the momentum shifted back and forth throughout the game.

Momentum was heavily on the Eagles’ side early.

Running back Clay McWilliams scored on a 54-yard run on the first play of the game to give Barbers Hill an early 7-0 lead.

Columbia got the momentum back near the end of the first half.
It started with 2:01 left in the second quarter when Jared Flannel scored on a six-yard run to tie the game at 7-7.

On the following Barbers Hill possession, Nolan Darthard intercepted a pass by Daniel at the Eagle 38 with 21 second left in the first half.

Vernor found Fields on a 33-yard pass play down to the Eagle 5 with 14 seconds left.

Fields finished off the drive when he caught a 5-yard touchdown pass from Vernor with 11 seconds left to lift the Roughnecks to a 14-7 halftime lead.

Fields finished the game with four catches for 82 yards.

Barbers Hill regained the momentum early in the second half. With 9:27 left in the third, the Eagles recovered a fumbled punt snap at the Columbia 1. One play later, Bryan Gilbert scored to tie the game.

The Eagles took the lead with 4:49 left in the third when Dale Sexton caught a 37-yard touchdown pass from Daniel on a fourth-and-8 play.

The scoring drive followed a 12-yard punt by Columbia that gave Barbers Hill the ball at the Roughneck 38.

“Barbers Hill is a great football team,” Lane said, “but you can’t make that many mistakes and expect to win the game.”

mistakes...mistakes...mistakes...
It's getting alittle annoying to see that word used in every game article, win or loss.
Perhaps after 15 games with these kids going back to last year, please, coaches, can you maybe get them to stop it, maybe, just a little, for me? Please?

neck_06
09-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Oh, you noticed that midgit, eh? :D
I love this kid.
Andrew Jones 6'-3 290. DE-TE Runs fast, hits hard, & can catch a pass in the flat to boot. Was our punter last year and is on the "hands" team on onsides kicks. Rumour is that Nebraska is interested in him...

and U of H, Arkansas, Missouri, just to name a few.

Boomer74
09-25-2004, 10:09 PM
I was wondering what happened to Gray! I went by pratice the week we played Diboll, and saw him in regular street cloths watching pratice. Old Dunk, on the other hand is a little crazy...supprised he dosn't get injured more then he has! Hope both boys recover and get to play...but when they come back they have got to show the coaches they want it!!! Pay attention in pratice.

Gray, show Coach T and Byrd that you still want it and that you listen to what they siad while you were out...

Dunk, you do the same...learn the plays that Coach Byrd cooks up for the LB's in the off week!

I KNOW...IT'S SOMETHING THAT I WISH I HAD DONE LAST YEAR...(hinsight!) WISH I HAD IT ALL BACK!!!

Injuries "SUCK" but don't let them get you down. I'll be praying for you guys that you make a full recovery.

Lets go get them guys...lets get the District Championship...and plow the way into the playoffs!

Boomer

RBARKER
09-26-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by hsfootballrules
Well Rbaker I disagree with you not bashing you by all means......but i saw us turn the ball over i think 3 times in the first half and i saw us get the lead and run the ball to run the clock.....by the way i know the mcwilliams kid didnt look good at the end of the game i think he got hot or something......saying that i think our defense was playing to good to make the patton's play both ways we needed them to be full speed on defense.......but they were in the game on critical plays in the backfield just didnt get the ball....i thought they called a good 2nd half just my opinion

Turn overs happen thats part of the game. What I'm talking about is the conservative play calling we have on the offensive side of the ball. When BH has a 7 point lead you would think we are up by 40 points. They need to stop worring about running down the clock and get a 1st down. Qusetion hsfootballrules are you a friend of any of the Coaches? The reason I ask is because everyone that I have spoke to that says the OC is calling good plays is usually in their circle. This is not just coming from me, the Women in the stands see it for god sake. Ok I'm off my box I let you get the last word in:D

BlackSmith
09-26-2004, 01:59 PM
What I'm talking about is the conservative play calling we have on the offensive side of the ball.:D

I am not a coaching insider, but I understand the game and know what I see. Have you ever played or coached, Barker? Do you have a clue?

BH has a balanced attack and is NOT a "cloud of dust" conservative offense! Is a "hail mary" pass a conservative call or would a draw play have been more conservative? How many times has the QB pulled the ball down to run it when a pass play had been called? Yes, if our passing game was a little more productive, we could "open it up" a little bit more. But the passing game is indeed a threat and is better than last year. Defenses have to respect it, unlike most "conservative" offenses, where D's line up eight-in-the box.

I have been critical of the coaches in the past, but this year there is NOTHING to criticize. This staff has built a solid defense, solid offense and "special" special teams. If we get by WOS in round one (assuming we go Div 1), we have a realistic chance of going all the way for the first time since the 70's. Get a clue, monkey boy.

Mr.EagleToYou
09-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Right-on, brother man.

hsfootballrules
09-26-2004, 03:41 PM
No Rbarker I actually dont even know his name or even met him....I went to a 5a school I have a friend that went there and I watch the game and just gave my opinion......The way I see it I wonder if the OC didnt play your son or someone's son that you dont like cause everyone I talke to, not women about football think's that their system is so complex......That is my opinion cause you got so deffensive by the comments I made and I was not arguing with you just giving my opinion

eagle08
09-26-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by BlackSmith
I am not a coaching insider, but I understand the game and know what I see. Have you ever played or coached, Barker? Do you have a clue?

BH has a balanced attack and is NOT a "cloud of dust" conservative offense! Is a "hail mary" pass a conservative call or would a draw play have been more conservative? How many times has the QB pulled the ball down to run it when a pass play had been called? Yes, if our passing game was a little more productive, we could "open it up" a little bit more. But the passing game is indeed a threat and is better than last year. Defenses have to respect it, unlike most "conservative" offenses, where D's line up eight-in-the box.

I have been critical of the coaches in the past, but this year there is NOTHING to criticize. This staff has built a solid defense, solid offense and "special" special teams. If we get by WOS in round one (assuming we go Div 1), we have a realistic chance of going all the way for the first time since the 70's. Get a clue, monkey boy.

I'm with ya Blacksmith. RBarker probably coached peewee and now thinks he could coach at any level. The offense is very complex and ask any real coach how hard it is to defend when all cylinders are working. The OC calls the plays, but the players are the ones who make them work, or not. I promise the OC knows, and calls the plays that will work the best given that the players get their assignments and make the right reads.

RBARKER
09-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Wow I brought out BH's finest lurking in the shadows. Listen folks its easy to point out 2 or 3 plays and say man the OC is great. Try putting the whole game in perspective. I love when anyone gets on here and says anything about the coaches then everyone jumps on that person. Our OC makes great calls when we are running all over teams, but when its close our whole game plan changes. BH has got to get out of this Win District mentality. If everything is so great at BH then why can't we get by round 2 in the playoffs? Oh let me guess hummmm we don't have the talent these other teams have. Whats funny to me is the teams that we have lost too in the playoffs usually go on and get beat to death the next round. The Coaches at BH do a lot of good things they get these kids in the best condition they could possibly be in give the kids a great attitude and produce some of the best Defenses there is. I watched several years ago when BH had one of the best classes come through in a long time and nothing two and out, why Offense. We have another great class coming through and if someone doesn't get a little more creative in there play calling then we will be out early again. All of you with you smart coments about me not being a coach or maybe a Peewee coach, It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this and this is my opinion as well as many others. If you would like lets meet at the game and you can give me a CLUE and teach all of us stupid people to understand the game a little better. Oh and HSfootballrulles I'm just stating my opinion also didn't mean to be rude to you.

Eagleman
09-26-2004, 08:29 PM
I've watched Bh for a while now and after listening to all of this year after year I've gotten tired of it.

I don't coach, never played for Bh or have a kid that does, but I do attend most of the games. And my Opinion is this:

1. Some years Bh loses to better teams overall (Sweeny, Robinson)

2. Bh sometimes loses to a team who has very talented players that have an exceptional game (Bridge City)

3. Bh's players don't play up to the level that they should play at, and no matter what play you call, if the players dont do their assignment, you cannot win.(Manor)

Those are my opinions on the playoff games that i can remember, and the Offensive coaching does not matter when the players get outplayed, you cannot beat a better team when they are playing better than your players. However, the Manor game last year should have ben won!

To RBarker,(im not in the 'circle') i hear all about the women and the plays and all that crap, everyone in the stands is the best coach and they know what should have been run. How about just cheering for your team and not complaining about what the coaches do, and if so then move to Tarkington. (actually now to Liberty!!!)

Eagles52
09-26-2004, 08:58 PM
I have to say that I was disappointed in the class shown on the field by a few of the WC players after all the class shown by the posters especially the actions of #98 and #31, easily their best two defensive line players and probably defensive players period, and also one coach that showed no class in their actions and demeanor on the field or after the game when we shook hands, cussing at us and refusing to shake our hands, I understand that was an incredibly tough, emotional loss, but show dignity, adversity displays a person's true character and so I have seen theirs, but the majority of players did display class and I wish no reflection on their team or coaching staff as a whole, just those that I mentioned. Otherwise this was a great game and I think the Necks will make a lot of noise in the playoffs this year and I wish them good luck...One question though, why do you not pass a lot more often?

Hupernikomen
09-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Eagleman

To RBarker,(im not in the 'circle') i hear all about the women and the plays and all that crap, everyone in the stands is the best coach and they know what should have been run. How about just cheering for your team and not complaining about what the coaches do, and if so then move to Tarkington. (actually now to Liberty!!!)

Why does everyone find it necessary to bad mouth my town of Tarkington? You act is if our community could careless about our teams and don't care if we win or lose. Maybe one day you people at BH will wake up and realize that you live in a privledged area with more money and facilities than you can shake a stick at. Of course every parent wants the best for their kids. Don't insult my hometown over your petty squabbling!! I try hard to cheer you guys on but senseless comments like this make me think otherwise.

RB I know you have been a faithful support from BH for a long time and your opinion is not meant to be a slam but a concern. Probably some truth in what you are saying about the offense. I wasn't overly impressed with your offense in the Dickinson game even though you won handily. The FB and RB are real weapons.
Defense looks solid period. Maybe a little suspect to the long pass.

RBARKER
09-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Why does everyone find it necessary to bad mouth my town of Tarkington? You act is if our community could careless about our teams and don't care if we win or lose. Maybe one day you people at BH will wake up and realize that you live in a privledged area with more money and facilities than you can shake a stick at. Of course every parent wants the best for their kids. Don't insult my hometown over your petty squabbling!! I try hard to cheer you guys on but senseless comments like this make me think otherwise.

RB I know you have been a faithful support from BH for a long time and your opinion is not meant to be a slam but a concern. Probably some truth in what you are saying about the offense. I wasn't overly impressed with your offense in the Dickinson game even though you won handily. The FB and RB are real weapons.
Defense looks solid period. Maybe a little suspect to the long pass.

Sorry about the Tarkington talk Humpernikomen I have been guilty of the same. BH is privilaged and I hope that a couple of us don't run you off as a supporter. Thanks for reading into my post I donot Slam BH just concered for the teams well being. I have supported BH for 20 years and regardless of the teams or the plays I will support them always.

RBARKER
09-26-2004, 09:41 PM
I've watched Bh for a while now and after listening to all of this year after year I've gotten tired of it.

I don't coach, never played for Bh or have a kid that does, but I do attend most of the games. And my Opinion is this:

1. Some years Bh loses to better teams overall (Sweeny, Robinson)

2. Bh sometimes loses to a team who has very talented players that have an exceptional game (Bridge City)

3. Bh's players don't play up to the level that they should play at, and no matter what play you call, if the players dont do their assignment, you cannot win.(Manor)

Those are my opinions on the playoff games that i can remember, and the Offensive coaching does not matter when the players get outplayed, you cannot beat a better team when they are playing better than your players. However, the Manor game last year should have ben won!

Eagleman that is your Opinion and I respect that, everyone will always have a different one as in mine. Don't talk to me like I complain all of the time and not cheer I garuntee you that I have been to and seen BH more times than you. I am a die hard fan I am there every friday night rain or sleet doesn't matter how far I have to travel I will support these Eagles no matter if they are 10-0 or 0-10. This Coaching staff has done an amazing job at turing this team around , but there is something missing to take us to the next level and its not the players. There is no one that could convence me to move from this town I went to school here my entire life and I am proud to be a Eagle always will. I didn't mean to get everyone ticked off ,but this is my OPINION. Peace :cool:

Necked
09-26-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Eagles52
I have to say that I was disappointed in the class shown on the field by a few of the WC players.... ...One question though, why do you not pass a lot more often?

I'm really sorry & embarassed to hear that. I'm not one to air dirty laundry in public, so I'll just say that discipline was a problem last year, and some seem to be walking that line again. That is a reputation that I & other alumni would like to see go away. Build a reputation for good football, not for trash talking...

I agree, I to would like to see more passing as well. We've got some kids that can flat out catch the ball, Even #98 has great hands. I guess when you've got a great running attack, you go with it. I suppose that is how we got a reputation of not being able to pass, when really we can, but don't. May see a more open attack once district starts...

Necked
09-26-2004, 10:13 PM
To RBarker,(im not in the 'circle') i hear all about the women and the plays and...........
Now this intrigues me. What about these women, what do they do? And please, be graphic in your descriptions....:D

eagle08
09-27-2004, 12:38 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RBARKER
Our OC makes great calls when we are running all over teams, but when its close our whole game plan changes.....

.....OH let me guess hummmm we don't have the talent these other teams have. Whats funny to me is the teams that we have lost too in the playoffs usually go on and get beat to death the next round. [QUOTE]

Think about this RBarker. Sure the OC makes great calls when the Hill is running all over teams, but what your complaining about is not being able to do the same against each and every team. You show me a coach that can do that each and every game, each and every week, against each and every team and I would have to say put a big "S" on his chest and call him SuperCoach. There isn't such a coach at any level. Sure BH has had some very good teams in the past few years, but you need to get out and watch some other teams and get a real sense of what pure athletic ability can do for teams. I'm not saying that BH hasn't had some great football players, but they haven't had dominating players, stature wise or talent/ability wise. Just compare Diboll and West Columbia's individual players to those of the Hill and you can see that they look like much better teams. What makes the Hill such a presence is their heart and will to win and lay it all on the field. They also have some very good coaches that put their all into coaching and teach these BH boys how to be winners both on and off the field. If you measured champions by the size of their hearts, or how hard they work to get better, then the Hill would be right at the top. I must say that this years team is probably the best in a long line of successful teams and they will only get better. Venture to schools that do have the dominating talent and I promise you that they do not work near as hard, or have the burning desire that the Hill players have. In the last five years the Hill has run into teams that just have more dominating players.....size wise and ability wise, and yes, there are even teams that have more ability than the teams that have beaten BH in the last few years. This years team is different and will have a chance to do some great things. They have beaten two great teams the last two weeks and I would venture to say that they can probably play with any team they line up against....not because they have more ability, but because they have more desire.

Jody
09-27-2004, 06:44 AM
I have to agree with RBARKER on this point. We really need to be able and make short slant passes and run a screen pass out of the backfield to convert more 1st downs. It seems to be a 30-40 yard pass or nothing. When it works, great! When it doesn't it usually ends up in a turn over.

I also think our new RB Clay M. is a VERY good runner. That guy flat ass plays his heart out and runs like a bull.

Our offense is VERY predictible. We win on talent and playing hard, always have.

Yes, whom ever said it was right, Manor had no business beating us last year, neither did Rice Consolidated a few years back. I think it was offensive play calling.

scrub c
09-27-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen

Hupernikomen
Relax, that is the BH way, they are more holy than thou. People move there for that reason. That little town is about to burst at the seems. I know a handfull of people from the GP Northshore district are moving out there. You figure out the reason. BH will be a big 4a Next alignment MARK MY WORDS.

THIS IS NOT A KNOCK ON THEIR FOOTBALL TEAM (they are GOOD).

shellman54
09-27-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
Hupernikomen
Relax, that is the BH way, they are more holy than thou.

not everyone from out there is like that. i grew up there my entire life, living in a trailer house, catching rides to and from school. granted, the majority of the students out there do have it easy, but there are still the ones out there who have to work to get the things they want.

hsfootballrules
09-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Rbarbker I would really love to sit down with you and talk football cause I see you need help...........Just kidding

RBARKER
09-27-2004, 11:03 AM
Rbarbker I would really love to sit down with you and talk football cause I see you need help...........Just kidding

Thanks, I'm sure the conversation wouldn't be long:D hehe

EAGLETOWN
09-27-2004, 05:58 PM
RB,

You and I both know that you are wasting your fingers typing on this board or the eteams board to some people about things BH could improve on offensively.

I stress offensively, cause defensively we do not give up many points year end and year out.

Even in the playoffs defense holds the teams that beats them in check.

The offense on the other hand does not put up the points.

I do not believe we are getting beat by better more talented teams, why then, what is the problem?

Do our boys on defense just want to win more than our boys on offense?

Think about that.

They all want it just as bad.

True they have to execute offensively, but they also have to execute defensively.

Why is it that the defense can hold other teams back, but the offense can not score, not just this year but in the past.

Our defense gives us excellent field position game in and game out on other teams turnovers, but the offense can not capitolize.

It just does not make much sense to me that we get beat by more talented teams that just want to win more than we do.

Then again if our offensive skeem is so bad why are other teams now going the same skeem

I have seen Rice, H-J, Crockett all now trying to run the same no huddle offense.

It's not the no huddle, I love it, but I to wonder where the slant pass is when the "D" backs are giving our recievers 10 yards, the screen when they are sending 8, the "I" formation when we want to pound it away.

Other teams know when we are going to run the ball, its pretty obvious.

Its 10 on 11 QB don't count he's just handing it off How about the "I" occasionally.

I say this cause I wonder why not.

Would someone that knows let us know why and then we will not ask these so called stupid, so called coach slamin questions.

How about some of the other schools that run the same Rice, Crockett, H-J help me out here explain in to me.

I understand how you spread it out, and run it, and then throw in long when the "D" backs start bitting on the run.

I think the difference is some of these folks are happy going 12 or 13 in 0 or 1.

I on the other hand am not.

I WANT ANOTHER STATE CHAMPIONSHIP FOR BH FLAT OUT.

I am very pride full of this town and it past football tradition and I want BH to become the standard when it comes to highschool football and we can, we will.

This coaching staff has done an awesome job of bringing this football program together and I think we are right there we just have a few small things to iron out on the offense and make it more consistant in the playoffs.

We can get there now, we just have to be able to win it all, in all the aspects of the game.

IMHO the "D" is there, the special teams are pretty close, the offense needs the work, WHAT EVER IT TAKES.

WE CAN, WE WILL!!

hsfootballrules
09-27-2004, 07:29 PM
Well I know I am going to say this and yall our going to get mad because you think I am backing the coaches.......In this situation I would say they do what they can with your personal......I think BH has good atheltes but I want you to look at the teams BH has played and the teams they have lost to......now look at the players that were on that team that our playing in college......now how many players does bh have in college that arent walk on's.......I talked to a college coach from a division 1aa team and I asked him about kids at BH.......He said that every kid that has played for them is one of the smartest well coached kids they have......he also said that the coaches at BH max out the ability that those kids have......they are just not that blessed athletically....I want you to look at the teams such as

Waco Robinsion college players from that team 4
Sweeny I know of 5 maybe more
Rice Consalidated 1 maybe more dont know
Bridge City 2
Manor 1 and will be another after this year

Here is BH's Scolarship Players out of High School

Jeremy Marek a juco player, all the others are walk-on's

hsfootballrules
09-27-2004, 07:30 PM
saying all of that though I do see some players off of this year's team that has a chance to receive scholarship players

Eagleman
09-27-2004, 07:38 PM
I know McWilliams might go somewhere, and Chris and Ced next year, but who else do you think?

hsfootballrules
09-27-2004, 07:54 PM
I am sorry I dont see what you guys see in mcwilliams.....jmo.......I think he is a good back but not a college player.......I would have to say the qb, number 86 and the two sophmore twins.......and the only one of those that has to go to a division 1 is probably 86 maybe all but he is the only one with alot of upside the others or just good high school football players......again this is just my opinion not bashing anyone

Eagleman
09-27-2004, 08:05 PM
True, McWilliams is undersized and not well conditioned at all, and 86 has alot of upside if he can make the easy plays as well, i have seen him drop many catches. What has happened to the little Daniels kid, he has very reliable hands and is very quick, he needs the short passes for first downs.

The new linebacker (Cox #44, i think) is the biggest in a while, and if he learns to play as good as nelson he has alot of potential

EAGLETOWN
09-27-2004, 09:54 PM
What about these kids.

T. Saunders I think could have played some D2, but I am not sure.

J. Sproat played some D2 ball.

J. Arnet walked on at SFA and is Graduating this year and playing.

B. Douchette I think could have went to the Navy but did not want to go there and walked on at Sam.

C. Mitchell chose baseball and is playing for K-State this year.

M. Hinojosa left the Hill his Junior year and went to Lee to play baseball and started in the secondary on their football team.

He was an asset I do not know where he went.

M. Sproat was also an asset before his accident and he could have made some noise.

T. Blake is at Trinty Valley, why in the heck did he have to walk on?

I THINK A COACH FROM LIBERTY HELPED HIM GET THERE (?) AND NOW HE IS STARTING AT FULL BACK AND WILL PROBALLY MOVE ON SOONER OR LATER!!

He was asked also invited to walk on at SFA right after graduating.

J. Merek Trinty Valley.

All of these were on the same team and were picked to do real well in the playoffs just like the team we have now and I probally left out some.

We may have not had a stand out D1 star but we dang sure had lots of collegiate talent.

I'll take that much talent over one or two D1 players any day.

It is really hard for a 3A player to go D1 because of the schools size and competition.

Most of these players could have started for 5A schools maybe not in the positions they played for BH but some where and would have probally went D1 then.

J. Dolen is playing at Mcneise and is doing well.

P. Carrington walked on at Prarie View.

B. Cummings was being recurited by Rice his Junior to play DE till he was put in the back field his Senior year. (?)

J. Northcutt chose baseball and played for Galveston Community College last year.

For those players I might of left out I appoligize.

hsfootballrules
09-27-2004, 10:26 PM
ok

Tray Saunders he held kicks for Ranger Jr college

Jon Sproat played DIII Lousiana College then he quit

Thurman didn't get help from Liberty coaches

John Arnett is a walk on like I said early doing very well

Perry was a walk on and didn't last

Jared is doing well at McNesse

Boss is no longer playing but was a walk on

Matt Hinjhosa is playing baseball never had a football career

Chase Mithell playing baseball at K State never had a chance at college football

I dont know who else I left out but all of these guy you named were extremely good football players from what I know but where I got my info none of these were signed out of high school except Saunders and Marek but I could be wrong

eagle08
09-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Well I know I am going to say this and yall our going to get mad because you think I am backing the coaches.......In this situation I would say they do what they can with your personal......I think BH has good atheltes but I want you to look at the teams BH has played and the teams they have lost to......now look at the players that were on that team that our playing in college......now how many players does bh have in college that arent walk on's.......I talked to a college coach from a division 1aa team and I asked him about kids at BH.......He said that every kid that has played for them is one of the smartest well coached kids they have......he also said that the coaches at BH max out the ability that those kids have......they are just not that blessed athletically....I want you to look at the teams such as

Waco Robinsion college players from that team 4
Sweeny I know of 5 maybe more
Rice Consalidated 1 maybe more dont know
Bridge City 2
Manor 1 and will be another after this year

Here is BH's Scolarship Players out of High School

Jeremy Marek a juco player, all the others are walk-on's

I agree with you hsfootballrules. I too think that the program at BH maxes out the kids ability. There are not many programs that work as hard in the offseason as the Hill does and it gets results. Sure the Hill has some good football players, but put some very talented athletes in the BH program and watch what kind of football players they turn into. Now that would be a dangerous football team.

Jody
09-28-2004, 07:20 AM
I can't beleive that was even written....hahaha

Look, night after night you watch the High School replay on TV and rarely is BH on there. Fact is they have to win 7-9 games without a loss before they get coverage. How do you get recriuted when they boys don't get a look. Also, it is your schools job to help promote talent to potential scouts. Now that we are in district play, we may get one TV crew for 30 minutes or so, assuming we loose no games.

Fact is, if you don't win BIG (State or Next To It) 3 or 4 years in a row, then you won't get scouting looks or TV coverage. Why waist time on a 3A team with 2-3 potentials when you have a whole field of 5A talent and 4 times the number of kids.

Look at Katy as an example: Do you really think those parents wanted to drive in Katy freeway traffic. Hell no! They want their kids to get looks from potential scouts and when the scholorship is awarded, they get ise and move to Barbers Hill....hahaha Just a last minute plug there. :D

eagle08
09-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Jody
I can't beleive that was even written....hahaha

Look, night after night you watch the High School replay on TV and rarely is BH on there. Fact is they have to win 7-9 games without a loss before they get coverage. How do you get recriuted when they boys don't get a look. Also, it is your schools job to help promote talent to potential scouts. Now that we are in district play, we may get one TV crew for 30 minutes or so, assuming we loose no games.

Fact is, if you don't win BIG (State or Next To It) 3 or 4 years in a row, then you won't get scouting looks or TV coverage. Why waist time on a 3A team with 2-3 potentials when you have a whole field of 5A talent and 4 times the number of kids.

Look at Katy as an example: Do you really think those parents wanted to drive in Katy freeway traffic. Hell no! They want their kids to get looks from potential scouts and when the scholorship is awarded, they get ise and move to Barbers Hill....hahaha Just a last minute plug there. :D

Jody, being on TV has nothing to do with high school recruiting. NFL scouting maybe, but high school.....no. College scouts will find the talent no matter what size school you are in. Sure larger schools may have more scouts visit, but if a player from a smaller school has the talent to play at the college level then they will be recruited.

RBARKER
09-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by eagle08
Jody, being on TV has nothing to do with high school recruiting. NFL scouting maybe, but high school.....no. College scouts will find the talent no matter what size school you are in. Sure larger schools may have more scouts visit, but if a player from a smaller school has the talent to play at the college level then they will be recruited.

Sounds good Eagle08, but IMO is simply not true. There are not enough scouts in this world to be able to go out and check every school in the USA to see if there is talent. Thousands of kids go unnoticed every year because they are on a team that isn't doing well. Alot of kids in lower classification have to rely on coaches or self recruiting to make it to college. There are plenty of walk ons every year that end up earning a starting position on Div I teams. I'm willing to bet that if BH would have gone to a State game or even a semi that we would have more kids recruted. I have a friend in Hardin that did some self recruiting and has got both of her boys into Div I colleges due to her efforts. Do you think a scout would have ever found them in Hardin Texas. I think not. My theory is make a name for your self and the scouts will come.

neck_06
09-30-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Necked
I'm really sorry & embarassed to hear that. I'm not one to air dirty laundry in public, so I'll just say that discipline was a problem last year, and some seem to be walking that line again. That is a reputation that I & other alumni would like to see go away. Build a reputation for good football, not for trash talking...

I agree, I to would like to see more passing as well. We've got some kids that can flat out catch the ball, Even #98 has great hands. I guess when you've got a great running attack, you go with it. I suppose that is how we got a reputation of not being able to pass, when really we can, but don't. May see a more open attack once district starts...

I don't know what game ya'll were watching, but i didn't see any unsportsman like conduct, and i was on the field. If anything, the BH guys were talking too much after the game.

Eagles52
09-30-2004, 09:57 PM
well I was on the field and had to listen to #98 and #31 talk trash and use foul language and then afterwards in the line to shake hands, those two along with some others and a coach all cussed at us and refused to shake hands with us...I dont know of any BH guys that talked trash, but it is certainly possible considering how exciting the ending was and some of us could have lost our heads but no one near me in the line on our team did anything other than try to congratulate the Roughnecks on playing a tough game.

neck_06
09-30-2004, 10:07 PM
i wasn't on the field, i was on the sidelines due to a broke ankle, but any and everyone who plays football on friday nights at some point has cussed and talked trash, get over it, it happens, and as far as the line after the game goes, there was on guy saying some bull about "i don't appreciate you guys talking like that, we beat yall get over it" that was the one that i was talking about earlier.

hsfootballrules
10-01-2004, 07:43 AM
Jody that maybe the stupidest post I have ever read.......Rbarber I do understand what you are saying but the only Hardin kids that have received scholarships in the last 5 years all went to Division 1aa.....saying that those kids were extremely talented and not very well coach with alot of UPSIDE.....I am telling you I have talked to a college coach and he told me that most of the time they look at bh kids there is no upside they are as good as they are going to be.........High School Coaches can only do so much as talking to college coaches, giving them film of a player.......they can't offer a scholarship that is something that the university's have to do

Jody
10-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Jody that maybe the stupidest post I have ever read.......Rbarber I do understand what you are saying but the only Hardin kids that have received scholarships in the last 5 years all went to Division 1aa.....saying that those kids were extremely talented and not very well coach with alot of UPSIDE.....I am telling you I have talked to a college coach and he told me that most of the time they look at bh kids there is no upside they are as good as they are going to be.........High School Coaches can only do so much as talking to college coaches, giving them film of a player.......they can't offer a scholarship that is something that the university's have to do

Glad you liked it. I will try to enlighten you a little more in the future. :D