PDA

View Full Version : Coaches using all players

falcons79
09-24-2004, 01:25 PM
I was just wondering because we have a few parents that are not happy because they think every player should get playing time in every game. How many teams have coaches that do this or are there some players that stand on the sidelines and don't get any playing time. Our coach has a no cut policy so I think we might have a few to many players.

Keith7
09-24-2004, 01:28 PM
The only way our coaches let everyone play is if the game was getting out of hand... I'm sure they would like everyone to play, but they have to go out there and win to keep there jobs so they cant put in the 3rd team defense in the 4th Quarter of a 21-21 game

ranger
09-24-2004, 01:29 PM
Play to WIN! Unless your school is bent soley on participation. Put the players on the field that will give you the best chance to win. When those kids come back to their class reunions they won't sit around talking about how they got to play 5 minutes in that game Jasper kicked our butts. They'll talk about the wins. PERIOD

BullFrog Dad
09-24-2004, 01:33 PM
This year our Coach went to a separate O/D scheme. No two-way starters. With a roster of about 30 players the other kids are all on special teams so everyone gets at least a dozen plays.

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 01:34 PM
Our coaches are great about trying to get everyone in. I'm sure there are times when they could do better. I always thought that the lower grade teams, meaning jr hi, fresh, and JV, were supposed to be used to teach and develop the players. Then when they are ready, move them up to varsity.

Keith7
09-24-2004, 01:36 PM
yea J.V. and Freshmen everyone got to play at least a little unless for disiplinary reasons.. the coaches have to give the kids a reason for wanting ot be there

scrub c
09-24-2004, 01:57 PM
J.V. and Freshmen is where all the playing time should be.
Friday Night is a whole different story. Earn your spot, and the best 11 play.
just my thoughts

faithfuldog
09-24-2004, 02:21 PM
A coach has to and should always play to win... a valuable life lesson to pass on to the kids on the team. Although only the best 11 are on the field at any given time, those on the sidelines are just as important to the success of the team. Competiton has been and always will be one of the greatest motivators.

TheDOCTORdre
09-24-2004, 02:36 PM
I agree play to win and let the person who has earned that spot in practice should play, i remember when I played there were some people who straight up out performed people in practice and when friday would roll around they wouldnt see the field because coach would say that we needed to keep the starters in because they need to get us started off right and even if they didnt there wouldnt be a change, also on several occassions the game was well in hand and we would have a shut out going in the 4th quarter and people wouldnt get to play just to ensure the shut out

Hupernikomen
09-24-2004, 02:48 PM
Part a free education does not include the right to play in an extracurricular sport. 7th and 8th, I agree everyone should be able to participate but by the time they get to high school it is time to start putting your best feet forward.

Hupernikomen
09-24-2004, 02:49 PM
but every good team needs more than just the guys out on the field each play to make them successful. and you are right a good coach finds ways to get the kids in who work hard.

Pudlugger
09-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I agree play to win and let the person who has earned that spot in practice should play, i remember when I played there were some people who straight up out performed people in practice and when friday would roll around they wouldnt see the field because coach would say that we needed to keep the starters in because they need to get us started off right and even if they didnt there wouldnt be a change, also on several occassions the game was well in hand and we would have a shut out going in the 4th quarter and people wouldnt get to play just to ensure the shut out

Sounds like my old high school coach. We went 2-7 and seemed to fall behind in the fourth every game due to exhausted players going both ways. We had loads of talent on the bench with 55 guys on the roster (5a). He got fired though, and they went 7-2 the next season LOL. A good coach finds ways to employ the talent available. If there are 3 OTs worthy of starting he'll make one a TE or center. If there is a guy who outshines a starter consistantly in practice he should start. Football is a meritocracy not a guaranteed government job or a popularity contest.:rolleyes: