PDA

View Full Version : Most "Colorful" & Controversial HS Coaches

Bullaholic
09-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Who do you think were the most "colorful" and controversial coaches in Texas HS Football history? I'm interested in hearing about pre-game traditions, motivaltional gimmicks, trick plays, gamesmanship, famous coaching stories, and player-coach relationships.

futr_dawgmom
09-24-2004, 01:12 PM
DEFINITLY COACH LAUVE OF JASPER, HE CARES ABOUT HIS TEAM AND THEY NEED THAT. :)

shankbear
09-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Dan Ray Hooks. They say there is the Dan Ray Hooks suite in a hotel in Austin since he has been called on the carpet there so many times by the UIL. He is a great guy though.

duckbutter
09-24-2004, 01:18 PM
I would say the most "colorful" would be coaches Hooks and Barbay. Sit and talk to them and they will have you rolling.
'

Bandera YaYa
09-24-2004, 01:19 PM
Gee, I wish i could think of the team we played in 2002 that had a HORRIBLE acting coach...always argueing with the refs, flying off the handle, running on the field, throwing things and VERY rude to our players and fans......my YaYa sister's husband was running chains and said he had never seen or heard such things from a coach in all his life......I'll ask him and come back with a name (or team) !! But I think this guy had a reputation for this....maybe someone from our district will remember......but don't think his team was actually IN our district...like a playoff game team.....does anyone out there know who I might be talking about???? :confused:

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
Dan Ray Hooks. They say there is the Dan Ray Hooks suite in a hotel in Austin since he has been called on the carpet there so many times by the UIL. He is a great guy though.
Is this Coach Hooks possibly the son/grandson of another Coach Hooks? My father, who would be 85 now if living, was coached by a Coach Hooks in Wills Point, TX MANY years ago....just curious

Chris Hart
09-24-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Gee, I wish i could think of the team we played in 2002 that had a HORRIBLE acting coach...always argueing with the refs, flying off the handle, running on the field, throwing things and VERY rude to our players and fans......my YaYa sister's husband was running chains and said he had never seen or heard such things from a coach in all his life......I'll ask him and come back with a name (or team) !! But I think this guy had a reputation for this....maybe someone from our district will remember......but don't think his team was actually IN our district...like a playoff game team.....does anyone out there know who I might be talking about???? :confused: Was it the coach from Yoakum? Coach Crow?

Ranger Mom
09-24-2004, 02:23 PM
Gee, I wish i could think of the team we played in 2002 that had a HORRIBLE acting coach...always argueing with the refs, flying off the handle, running on the field, throwing things and VERY rude to our players and fans......my YaYa sister's husband was running chains and said he had never seen or heard such things from a coach in all his life......I'll ask him and come back with a name (or team) !! But I think this guy had a reputation for this....maybe someone from our district will remember......but don't think his team was actually IN our district...like a playoff game team.....does anyone out there know who I might be talking about???? :confused:

It wasn't us was it?? :eek: :eek

No...it couldn't have been. We were the home team so the chains were on ya'lls side.

Actually....it probably had to have been before the playoffs because I think the school where the playoffs are being held is the one who provides the chaingang...aren't they??

44INAROW
09-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
Was it the coach from Yoakum? Coach Crow?

I AM ROTFLMFAO.. YOU BEAT ME TO THE PUNCH.. GOTTA LOVE THAT BAND-DIRECTOR BLUE SPORTS JACKET HE WEARS TOO LOL:D :D :D

44INAROW
09-24-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
Speaking of Coach Hooks, does anyone know where Jeff Hooks is? He went to Cameron after he left Cuero and I have often wondered where he was.

JasperDog94
09-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Gee, I wish i could think of the team we played in 2002 that had a HORRIBLE acting coach...always argueing with the refs, flying off the handle, running on the field, throwing things and VERY rude to our players and fans...... :confused: Sounds like Coach Hooks from WOS. Always yelling at the refs and using language that would make a sailor blush.:foul: :foul: :foul:

Old Dog
09-24-2004, 04:04 PM
Chris, you are right to suggest Crow. He has quite a rep among the refs in south Texas I hear. Throws fits real regularly.

Do do know where he was raised, don't you?

theyoefnshow
09-24-2004, 04:33 PM
when he left Cameron he went to be head coach at 2A Eastland. Don't know where he went after that. One guy I remember that was "colorful" was Mike Sorenson!

GoDeep
09-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Hillsboro had a real character a few years ago. When he'd start losing he'd sometimes take off his headset and just refuse to coach the rest of the game LOL.
There's also Randy Allen, the HC at Highland Park, who makes his staff wear blue slacks and white HP polo shirts while he wears a 3 piece suit, tie, scarf and fedora (going for the Landry/Lombardi look).
And then there was that coach at Ballinger a few years ago who fired a starter pistol at a kid.

VWG
09-24-2004, 05:48 PM
I know this is a pro-coach.... but this thread needs to remember the great Oilers coach. Bum Phillips. What a character he was back in the day.

GoDeep
09-24-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by VWG
I know this is a pro-coach.... but this thread needs to remember the great Oilers coach. Bum Phillips. What a character he was back in the day.

"Last year we knocked on the door...this year we're kickin' the damn thing in!" Greatness.

Dont forget about Buddy Ryan too. Remember the $100 bounty he put on the Dallas kicker and punter's head? And then when he was with the Oilers, the defensive coordinator made a bad call...so Buddy walked up to him right on the sideline and punched him out! LOL

Wimberleybadass
09-24-2004, 07:34 PM
i would have to say the one of the most colorful coaches i can think of would be coach tommy parker... he coached at wimberley for the longest time and now he is gone coaching some where in austin i do beleive but he would rant and rave all game every game and had some of the funniest saying's i have ever heard.... i would also have to say coach Dane Saucier is another one of the most colorfull coaches i have ever seen old Sauce the Boss would be yelling at the ref's telling them to go back to foot locker where they belonged

D. R. Hooks
09-24-2004, 08:40 PM
I also nominate Dan Ray Hooks of West Orange Stark. He makes a good coach and user ID name:D

http://www.flickingerweather.com/wos.JPG