PDA

View Full Version : 39 year old to play NCAA football

CheerMom
09-24-2004, 10:46 AM
What is everyone's opinion on the 39 year old who is going to play for the South Carolina Gamecocks?

shellman54
09-24-2004, 10:49 AM
OK, here is my problem. The NCAA will allow a 39 year old man to play college football, but won't allow Jeremy Bloom or Mike Williams. Where is the logic in that?

big daddy russ
09-24-2004, 10:56 AM
I can see how they wouldn't let Bloom play. The whole point of the NCAA is to keep it amateur so that the kids focus more on education and less on their status. Sure, he's a world champion skier, but to be honest some of that endorsement money that would've poured in (especially from the Colorado area) would've been because of the fact that he's a recognizable name on a recognizable team. The kid's making more money right now than I can ever hope to. Williams, on the other hand, should be playing right now.

The thing with the 39-year old is that he never went to college out of high school, he went straight to the Army and has been a Ranger since. He's never even entered the clearing house. If he's good enough, suit him up.

raider red 2000
09-24-2004, 12:55 PM
would it be ok for me to try to play college ball. i have graduated college and have never gotten any endorcements, also, i have never submitted anything to the clearinghouse. should it be ok.

75swole
09-24-2004, 01:03 PM
i think its crazy because he wil be awakened once he realizes that those guys will be alot more agile and quick mainly in part to him almost living half of his life already! plus the fact that the game has changed since his time. people have developed new skills to keep up with the comp. but i say if he feels like he can do it more power to him.

Oakflat
09-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Why is everyone making a big fuss over the Mike Williama deal. I know he is a great player and all but he should have known better to try to jump to the NFL draft when its against policy. He'll have his chance this year to make millions and he will. Anyone who tries to follow someone like Maurice Clarett ought to be punished.

CheerMom
09-24-2004, 01:20 PM
In a Mike Williams interview, he stated himself that he thought that the NCAA made the right decision. He has no hard feelings about it. He's looking forward to next season.
Go Raiders!!!

Keith7
09-24-2004, 01:21 PM
The courts said he could come.. and iknow as a college student that if i were offered millions to quit school, i'd do so in a heart beat.. the kids has the rest of his life to go back to school and complete his final year..

The courts shouldnt have been indian givers

Oakflat
09-24-2004, 01:33 PM
He took a risk and lost. One of the reasons the NFL and college football are the best is because of the rule that you have to be out of high school for 3 years. Its has been around for years and years and no one has challenged it until Clarett and Williams. I know I don't want 19 or 20 year old punks, who are not physically or mentally mature enough acting like the players in the NBA do. He only had to play at USC for one for year and then get his millions.

Keith7
09-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Oakflat
He took a risk and lost. One of the reasons the NFL and college football are the best is because of the rule that you have to be out of high school for 3 years. Its has been around for years and years and no one has challenged it until Clarett and Williams. I know I don't want 19 or 20 year old punks, who are not physically or mentally mature enough acting like the players in the NBA do. He only had to play at USC for one for year and then get his millions.

just because they are 19 or 20.. what makes them punks?

every interview i've heard about Williams has said he was a good kid and student... never a punk