PDA

View Full Version : Jasper scholarship players

kaybee1527
09-24-2004, 09:23 AM
I was just reading thread by "Tell it like it is" and he got me to thinking about something. The number of players from Jasper teams that recieve scholarships. My opinion is that there are a number of players that have the ability and size to play at the next level...be it JC, D2, D3...maybe D1AA but will not get the chance.(Not many that can play D1-Big Jorrie, Big Red & Big Rogers dont come around to often). Now who is responsible for helping them get into school and get scholarships? I know its a lot of what you do on the field but how much are the coaches involved or supposed to be involved. I am old school and dont really know these coaches personally like the staffs in the past, so I dont know how much they talk to the kids about their grades. And i am not just talking about passing to play, but getting the avg up in their core classes and not waiting to their SR. year to take th ACT/SAT. Because i know personally that those are things that turn some college coaches away. Well thats my 2 cents....what do ya'll think. Other schools feel free to ring in also and let me know about how many from ya'll schools get scholarships a year. Oh and FYI...some guys that are doing well at the lower levels of college football(let me know if i miss some: Jason Mcqueen, james bass, M. Woods @ TJC...Rojo and Al Wright @ Mary Hardin Baylor...T Weatherspoon was at TAMU-Commerce...we had one or two @ Blinn i think. B Hafford & Vidito grad SFA. V. Payne @ TCU Bradon Verrett is somewhere...signed w/OSU then went to small school in Okla i think. I didnt go back too far just to like '97 i think, just giving an idea, and get people on hear thinking about some of these guys when they played. There are so many schools out there and I think Jasper has talented players that can make it at them and be successful

Junkyard
09-24-2004, 09:38 AM
The Jasper coaches help alot with making sure the kids do what they have to to qualify to be eligible to go to college. They make sure the players are taking the core classes required for college admittance, they make sure they start taking the act/sat tests as soon and as often as they can. One of the coaches even has act/sat tutorials at the high school after practice. that the players are encouraged to participate in.

So I believe the Jasper coaches are doing their part in preparing these kids to go to the next level.

What most people dont realize is the big jump in the level of play from high school to college even to a JUCO. Just because a kid is an extremely talented high school football player does not mean he has what it takes to play at the next level.

PappaBear
09-24-2004, 09:44 AM
I think you naming off all those kids who played college ball shows that someone is doing work to get these kids scholarships.

Bulldog_12
09-24-2004, 09:53 AM
Good post junkyard. The coaches do everything they can to help the players get through school and to try and get them scholarships. I think we even had a one or two last year who did get offered scholarships to Mary hardin Baylor for football, but turned them down. I know of one for sure. So there are people getting scholarships. maybe you just don't hear too much about the ones under D-1.

Chris Hart
09-24-2004, 09:56 AM
These former Burnet players have received scholarships in the past two years under Bob Shipley and staff in Burnet.

Eddie Parker OL - Georgia Tech
Mason Templeton TE - Arkansas
Mark Manning FB - SMU(played DE in high school)
Luke Pell LB - Army
Patrick Miller RB - Tarleton State
Stephen McGee QB - Texas A&M
Jordan Shipley WR - UT
Eddie Rollman OL - Arizona
Ty Kuhn LB - ACU
Cody Warner WR - ACU

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I think our coaching staff has played a HUGE role in these kids getting scholarships. Sure a few would've received scholarship offers anyway, but some wouldn't have. I've been a Burnet fan all my life, but I don't think we've had as many scholarship players in the entire history of Burnet football, as we've had since Bob Shipley and his staff took over before the 2001 season.

DawgFan91
09-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
These former Burnet players have received scholarships in the past two years under Bob Shipley and staff in Burnet.

Eddie Parker OL - Georgia Tech
Mason Templeton TE - Arkansas
Mark Manning FB - SMU(played DE in high school)
Luke Pell LB - Army
Patrick Miller RB - Tarleton State
Stephen McGee QB - Texas A&M
Jordan Shipley WR - UT
Eddie Rollman OL - Arizona
Ty Kuhn LB - ACU
Cody Warner WR - ACU

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I think our coaching staff has played a HUGE role in these kids getting scholarships. Sure a few would've received scholarship offers anyway, but some wouldn't have. I've been a Burnet fan all my life, but I don't think we've had as many scholarship players in the entire history of Burnet football, as we've had since Bob Shipley and his staff took over before the 2001 season.

I'm sure the coaches did do a great job, but having all those scouts down there looking at Shipley and McGee didn't hurt those other guys either.

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 10:23 AM
I think the reason for lack of scholarships is not something you can pinpoint. I mean the fault doesn't lie with just one person or group of people. First the student has to do their part, including completing applications, making the grades, performing well in their chosen sport. Then the parents also have their responsibility with making sure the kids do their part, providing encouragement and support, talking to the coaches and teachers and counselors about what else is needed. The coaches and counselors provide info, encouragement, support, and contacts. So, if just one piece of the puzzle is missing or inadequate, scholarships won't happen. So, everyone involved has to do their part. I will say, I KNOW FOR A FACT the Jasper coaches under Coach Lauve check grades weekly, not just for pass/fail. They (coaches) do somethings or don't do somethings that I may not agree with, but I have never walked in their shoes. There are players that maybe should get more play time, etc. But I guess that is just life.....

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Does anyone know where Marlon Cook is playing now?

Hupernikomen
09-24-2004, 10:57 AM
There are only so many spots open in the state every year for the new recruits. Where Jasper players always have plenty of speed, those speedsters don't always have the size to play at the D-I level. No doubt a coach that has connections in the Juco's and other levels can help a few. And I think with the number of Jasper kids I have seen at SFA, McN, and the other I-AA and Jucos in the last 5 years or so it is obvious that those instituions know when to find talent year in and year out. The rest is taking care of business in the classroom. Don't matter how good you are if you can't pass an entrance exam they won't bother because someone out there just as good who did pass it.

JasperDog94
09-24-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by dawgmom
Does anyone know where Marlon Cook is playing now? Last I heard he was trying to walk on at Houston.

dawgmom
09-24-2004, 03:05 PM
I had heard that too. I just wonder if he made it. He was a good player, just spent too much time last year hurt, unfortunately. Love watching him run!

JasperDog94
09-24-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by DawgFan91
I'm sure the coaches did do a great job, but having all those scouts down there looking at Shipley and McGee didn't hurt those other guys either. Touche. That's a great point.

Bulldog_12
09-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Yeah Marlon went to Houston to walk on and is now a red-shirt freshmen. So he and Sir V. will be playing alongside each other next year. I might have to drive to Houston to catch one of those games.

Hupernikomen
09-24-2004, 07:06 PM
that's good to hear about marlon. I was wondering where he ended up as well. Those were really the two that stood out from last year's bunch that I remember that should be playing somewhere. Wasn't there a Bean kid that graduated last year too?

Bulldog_12
09-24-2004, 10:01 PM
Yeah there was Trey Bean, but Im not sure if he went anywhere to play. But then again, maybe he did and I just dont know anything.